Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Better" is subjective of course. I would trade a mpg or two lower for a NA engine. I just trust the longevity and real world performance better. There are plenty of F150 data showing the 5.0 mpgs aren't much worse than the ecoboosts. I just like the simplicity and longevity of naturally aspirated. A mini 7.3 Godzilla is what I would like to see dropped in.

The weight is a concern for sure on a hybrid/electric but both Jeep 4XE and Ford F150 powerboost have figured it out. I would personally trade a few extra pounds for the option. I also would love to see a full size bronco which may make a hybrid more feasible due to extra space for batteries.

I think a F150 powerboost hybrid that has an electric only option like the Jeep 4XE with a bit more all electric range would be perfect. Then you could run all electric around town and on the trails and then also use the batteries as a generator for camp. I think we are only a year or two away for some legitimate electric/hybrid competitors so it makes me hesitant to jump in on the current offerings. Not to mention the tax credits and rising gas prices.
The electric range of the 4XE is perfect for me and my commute...when I actually go back to commuting
Sponsored

Last edited:

jackwise

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was wondering if maybe those small turbo motors would work some magic?
The only magic turbos work is to convince the latest generation of know-it-alls to buy into their BS. Turbos suck. Always have. Always will. Now that you see the dismal MPG numbers file that away in your memory banks and start thinking about how they babied the vehicle to max out the EPA numbers. Then start thinking about how ridiculously hard those engines will be working to haul around that weight day to day. Then, start calculating in your head the longevity of said turbo engine - which is inherently less reliable than an NA engine if for no other reason than there's more stuff to break. Finally, just think how you could have gotten rid of all the turbo complexity, gotten longer engine life and pretty much the same MPG if Ford would have just added two more cylinders to the damn thing. Turbos. Pure nonsense.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only magic turbos work is to convince the latest generation of know-it-alls to buy into their BS. Turbos suck. Always have. Always will. Now that you see the dismal MPG numbers file that away in your memory banks and start thinking about how they babied the vehicle to max out the EPA numbers. Then start thinking about how ridiculously hard those engines will be working to haul around that weight day to day. Then, start calculating in your head the longevity of said turbo engine - which is inherently less reliable than an NA engine if for no other reason than there's more stuff to break. Finally, just think how you could have gotten rid of all the turbo complexity, gotten longer engine life and pretty much the same MPG if Ford would have just added two more cylinders to the damn thing. Turbos. Pure nonsense.
OK boomer.

Ford Bronco Official EPA MPG Mileage for 2021 Bronco posted on fueleconomy.gov F7D8FBBE-6DE9-4F12-AF39-C00777475D19

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've heard people stated in the past how turbo isn't as reliable as NA, but then there are some relatively reliable turbo engine like the 911 Turbo, or Subaru WRX STi which I had in the past.

chobit

Badlands
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper SE, MIata ND2 GT, Bronco Badland SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No one gets to "baby" anything for the EPA test cycle. They all run the same speeds/pattern.

You can try and game the test by selecting shift points, using manual shift lights, or just outright cheating like VW did to detect the test cycle.

GiddyUpā€™21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander (2nd car while waiting 4 Bronco)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel it's a bit ironic the manual Badlands gets the worst MPG.
It isnā€™t ironic. See the second row = nothing to do with manual. Badlands has the highest weight due to the extra body armor.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I donā€™t understand how the 2.3 auto BL gets LESS mpg at highway then city. I also fail to see why they bothered to offer four and six cylinder engines when both basically get the same mileage. Yeah I realize there is a small hp and ft lb difference, but will the majority of drivers ever realize that small difference? It has to be something to satisfy some government over reach.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I donā€™t understand how the 2.3 auto BL gets LESS mpg at highway then city. I also fail to see why they bothered to offer four and six cylinder engines when both basically get the same mileage. Yeah I realize there is a small hp and ft lb difference, but will the majority of drivers ever realize that small difference? It has to be something to satisfy some government over reach.
Just some possible ideas here but ...

1) city could be better due to ESS
2) there is more than a small Tq and HP difference, and more importantly where does that Tq come into play for normal driving. That 2.3 will require more throttle and higher rpm to equal the 2.7.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It isnā€™t ironic. See the second row = nothing to do with manual. Badlands has the highest weight due to the extra body armor.
The exact same Badlands 2.3/auto is rated higher. Most people buy manuals (one reason) for the improved MPG. It's like the textbook definition of ironic.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ehh, ā€œbetter car controlā€, ā€œmakes me feel connectedā€, ā€œgets better MPGā€, ā€œmore reliableā€ are always the lines you get from manual buyers. Feel free to add to it, but the majority (not sports car or off-road) claim better MPG...think economy cars.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep. Ford could have given us the same economy at less complexity and expense. It may have been at the expense of max power, but that just shows they are trying to win a marketing race, hype, not produce the best vehicle for the customer. They want to win short term customers, and higher profits.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ehh, ā€œbetter car controlā€, ā€œmakes me feel connectedā€, ā€œgets better MPGā€, ā€œmore reliableā€ are always the lines you get from manual buyers. Feel free to add to it, but the majority (not sports car or off-road) claim better MPG...think economy cars.
MT buyers have been buying economy cars because that's what manufacturers generally put MTs in. This is pretty well understood.
Sponsored