First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You say that but when the Ranger came out and people weren't seeing 23 MPG there was a class action lawsuit filed against Ford. The F-150 was involved in a MPG class action as well. I don't think anything came of either, but still...
Different vehicles for different purposes ā€¦ā€¦and yes, lawyers will sue at the drop of a hat, itā€™s what they do. I for one promise not to sue. I am not under the illusion that I am purchasing an economic fuel efficient vehicleā€¦.I was merely commenting on Broncos relative to each other (Sasquatch vs non-Sasquatch), and pleased that those of us that opted for that option would not be penalized too severely. Time will tell, however.

omega145

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Back in my day, I had a V24 Cadillac Hearst that towed a 24,000 pound trailer up hill with 37" mud terrain tires, an 8" lift kit and the entire time it averaged 36.2 MPG! Suck on that Ford!

More disappointed in the small gas tank of the 2 door rather than the MPG.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That's on topic. I'll point this out as well...
On base you gain 2 more mpgs by getting the 2.3
With a generous calculation of 15k miles per year with gas at 4.00, the monetary savings is $304. For me it's 10k miles at 3.40 or so per gallon. I'd save only 170 using premium.
The MPG yearly gas cost difference is slight. But by getting a Base or Big Bend for with the 2.3 Manual, I'm spending about $5000 less than a 2.7 Auto, right? And by getting the standard trim package, paying about $2000 less again, and probably several hundred pounds less weight. And by driving under 80MPH (above the speed limit here anyway), I will likely get about 22 MPG highway. I think the best value is in the low trim levels, with a 2.3 manual.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

But I'm in agreement against the turbos. It is the one nagging fear I have about the Bronco, getting a tiny engine with a high RPM, red hot jet engine stuck on it to make decent power. How long will it last? If I have to buy a new turbo or even an engine in 5-10 years, the expenditure will be very disappointing. When my old normally aspirated engines run for decades if you keep oil in them.

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My opinion is that Ford built a disposable engine with the eco boost and because most people dont keep vehicles for decades you wont be disappointed, because you'll have traded it in or sold it before it becomes too much money to maintain. Someone else will buy your problem and will replace the turbos. If you do keep it long enough, you'll be disappointed.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

And why are some comparing the Bronco to a truck? A Tacoma is a truck. And it's not a Jeep, it's an SUV. Compare it to a 4Runner or Defender or other enclosed 4 seater without a bed. The Defender 90 is rated at about the same milage this year. " Admittedly, the Defender does worse here than against any of the other criteria. Sure, there is an available 2.0-liter turbo inline-four, but that actually drops the 2020 EPA numbers from 17/22 to 17/20 mpg. The I-6 is a mild hybrid with a 48-volt electric supercharger, after all. Should you go for the Defender 90 with the 2.0-liter, you'll eke out 21 mpg highway. That said, compared to the G-Wagen and Land Cruiser, the Defender is a Prius. " https://www.motortrend.com/news/land-rover-defender-2021-suv-of-the-year/

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My opinion is that Ford built a disposable engine with the eco boost and because most people dont keep vehicles for decades you wont be disappointed, because you'll have traded it in or sold it before it becomes too much money to maintain. Someone else will buy your problem and will replace the turbos. If you do keep it long enough, you'll be disappointed.
Most designs that are "disposable" are not easy to rebuild and have available parts to do so. Perhaps you meant the engine has a shorter useful design life between rebuilds than you would personally prefer?

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep, I agree with you and jackwise, I'd have gladly paid less for more simplicity same mpg and a bit less high end power. A NA V-6, 3.5L would have worked for me. But we lost this argument (at least with Ford) a long time ago. Ford marketing loves big HP numbers, it is what it is. I could also do without a lot of the tech stuff, they are not marketing to boomers like me, but ironically, they are selling to boomers like me.
I looked up a Dyno chart of the Ford 3.7....no thanks. Not on something that's 5k lbs.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Say it ain't so! I keep vehicles a long time. So far (knock on wood), never had any engine issues. Automatic transmissions on the other hand ... have been my kryptonite. One reason I'm hip on the manual.

Ford Bronco Official EPA MPG Mileage for 2021 Bronco posted on fueleconomy.gov LukeNo

Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So my 2013 Ford Edge AWD 3.5 V6 gets 18/25 mpg according to fueleconomy.gov ...itā€™s 4960 curb weight and they are saying the Bronco does worse? It Must be the aerodynamics.

I donā€™t care either way, because I love that flat windshield

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So my 2013 Ford Edge AWD 3.5 V6 gets 18/25 mpg according to fueleconomy.gov ...itā€™s 4960 curb weight and they are saying the Bronco does worse? It Must be the aerodynamics.

I'm a fact-checking jerk, but it's rated 17/23

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a fact-checking jerk, but it's rated 17/23
ā€˜which engine?..you are probably looking at 3.7, I have a 3.5 but Just noticed my Shelby GT350 beats the Bronco on the Highway ...Iā€™m thinking Ford may be sand bagging to avoid more lawsuits.

Ford Bronco Official EPA MPG Mileage for 2021 Bronco posted on fueleconomy.gov 336C22A2-60C7-41A0-9D54-578F2E5C31D6

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
ā€˜which engine?..you are probably looking at 3.7, I have a 3.5 but Just noticed my Shelby GT350 beats the Bronco on the Highway ...Iā€™m thinking Ford may be sand bagging to avoid more lawsuits.

Ford Bronco Official EPA MPG Mileage for 2021 Bronco posted on fueleconomy.gov 336C22A2-60C7-41A0-9D54-578F2E5C31D6
I'm an idiot. I thought you said flex...

I need a vacation.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My 2013 Explorer 3.5 has averaged 23 throughout its life never below 20 and my wife made 30 once. Enough power to exceed the speed limit on 7-8% grades. I'd be happy with that.
Sponsored