Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not disappointed in 17mpg. In fact thats pretty good on the surface.

However, I'm disappointed in 17 mpg with an eco-boost engine that is notorious for under-delivering in real world mpg and that will be spoiled up all the time which is not great for longevity. Combined that with a vehicle that has as low as a 16.9gallon tank and that has a payload of around 1000 pounds, a roof rack with an anemic load rating and a tiny cargo area to put a gas can in.

I bet a SAS averages 15mpg real world and wouldn't be surprised for it to be closer to 12mpg with a full load. Now add the mountains or a headwind and you could easily have some scenarios were your range is under 200 miles.

Now why cant we at least have the simplicity and reliability of a V8?
I've had 5 EcoBoost now, from the 3.5 down to the 2.3... I've never once had them under deliver. I've always been impressed and surpassed what the sticker says. I'm not worried about this number either. I'm pretty sure real world I'll be able to do it again. I think some should probably blame themselves and their driving traits for bad mileage.... Lol But self awareness isn't a thing anymore. Blame is tho... Lol
Sponsored

GeotechDuck

Black Diamond
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Telluride SX AWD / 2003 Mini Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you're complaining about MPG, you're in the wrong forum.

Google "Bronco Sport".
i don’t think it is the overall mileage. It’s the fact that you are getting those numbers out of a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder motor. If you are going to be in the mid-teens, just jam a V8 in there and be done with it.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Said this on BN and I'll say it here. Sorry I'm not buying these numbers. There is no way the 2.7 should be that far off from a 2.7 F-150. I averaged 20/25 or so with mine. And I had the 6 speed transmission. And how does the 2.3 Sasquatch do better than the 2.7 Sasquatch. Smaller engine pushing close to the same weight minus the difference in engine weight.

I'll wait to see real world results.
Something is off, or we're not examining the right parameters.
The EPA numbers on my F150 were 19 city, 21 combined, 24 highway. In real life, its 16 city, 17-18 combined & 21 highway (Interstate 75mph). I get 24 on a state highway at 60-65 on a careful trip.

But the F150 has a very high 3.55 axle.
Is the issue with these Broncos and gas mileage the very low gearing? 3.73 used to be the go to all purpose truck axle for decent towing, 3.55 the highway truck axle, and get the 4.10 axle if you're really serious about towing -- and pay the consequences in gas mileage.

These Broncos start with the 3.73 in the OBX, but went lower to the 4.27 when I got the rear locker, with the same tire size for both. Thats lower mpg as well. The Sasquatch has the 4.7 axle, assumedly to handle the larger 35" tires. Hard to know what affect these low gears are having on mph.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Please consider the Wrangler makes no where near 400ftlbs of torque. I see other posts explaining that their mid 80's v8 gets the same mileage but wait! they are no where near that range either.
You all need to consider the apples to apples look at the gains you get for that mileage it gets.
Don't just target MPG. Look at power output, gearing tire size etc. There are few (None)units out there with over 400 ft lbs of torque rolling on factory 35's posting better MPG results.
What I see is a bunch of kids looking in the wrong toy box for their favorite toy.
Go ahead, get a wrangler I believe most will never use a Bronco for what its made for. If you really will not need this amount of torque, tire size, sway bar disconnect, trail turn assist.....look for a different vehicle because this one isn't for you. Just the facts bro.
There is no need for that kind of torque in a rig with such a limited payload and tow rating. You can't really tow with it, you can't really haul with it, it will make for a crappy racecar... it is what it is and it doesn't need 400+lb-ft to lug itself around. My old junk may not have the torque to match a Bronco but payload and tow ratings are there so I can actually use what I do have.

The Bronco is not for me, it can not do what I need to do. But when my wife's future car gets the same rating as what my old junks get real world... I start doing comparisons in my head. Especially when it starts smelling like gas Super Duty mileage. There being such a swing between trim levels is also thought provoking.

Something is off, or we're not examining the right parameters.
The EPA numbers on my F150 were 19 city, 21 combined, 24 highway. In real life, its 16 city, 17-18 combined & 21 highway (Interstate 75mph). I get 24 on a state highway at 60-65 on a careful trip.

But the F150 has a very high 3.55 axle.
Is the issue with these Broncos and gas mileage the very low gearing? 3.73 used to be the go to all purpose truck axle for decent towing, 3.55 the highway truck axle, and get the 4.10 axle if you're really serious about towing -- and pay the consequences in gas mileage.

These Broncos start with the 3.73 in the OBX, but went lower to the 4.27 when I got the rear locker, with the same tire size for both. Thats lower mpg as well. The Sasquatch has the 4.7 axle, assumedly to handle the larger 35" tires. Hard to know what affect these low gears are having on mph.
In my opinion yes.

The OBX rolls on 32's and is rated 4mpg highway better than a BD which also rolls on 32's. OBX has 3.73's standard, 4.27 optional with locker. BD only has 4.46 with locker. My money says they tested the 3.73 OBX.

I actually checked into switching to OBX but when you add advanced 4wd it adds the locker and 4.27's so they getcha there.

It is a shame that the 3.73 is not an option in BD, go ahead and throw in a locker too. The parts exist because that is the only ratio they make for the Ranger and it has a locker in the same rear axle they put under a Bronco. I guess I am spoiled by the truck market where they don't have all these trim levels and you can just pick your gears and if you want a locker.

I still don't get how a SAS gets the same mileage as a BD while it is spinning heavier, wider more aggressive tires though.

Sponsored

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Sasquatch has the 4.7 axle, assumedly to handle the larger 35" tires. Hard to know what affect these low gears are having on mph.
The low gearing isn't hurting anything too bad. Auto/4.70/35s works out to 2046 rpm at 70mph.

K8GTH

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't feed the troll. He's apparently never driven a Coyote, so he doesn't understand how NON-linear its powerband is. There's basically nothing from idle up to about 3000 when the cams finally kick in and there's a HUGE surge in power. It's the peakiest engine I've ever owned. The 2.7 EcoBoost in my Lincoln has a perfectly smooth powerband - the turbos spool as the torque converter flashes, so it ends up being very linear, responsive, and predictable. If I try and accelerate my Coyote through an intersection with a little gusto, I get nothing at first, then halfway through the intersection when the engine finally gets into the powerband, it just lights up the rear tires with no change in throttle position.

TRUTH. My Coyote F150 has the power delivery of a 2-stroke dirt bike. About the only thing I'll miss about it is the sound it makes when it ... f i nally gets into the powerband.

WadeWolf76

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Updated my signature just because of this thread. I don't think I'm going to notice a big difference.

Sponsored

asurfer11

Badlands
First Name
ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 africa twin
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you get worse gas mileage on the highway? (2.3 auto Badlands) 😆😆😆

And so much for going with the smaller motor to save gas...
No real big surprise -- I knew mpg was going to be bad, but did not think it was going to be this bad... Im getting a manual 2.3 badlands. Hopefully this year. no email yet...

Deleted member 18388

Thought I would be getting better mpg in the Bronco than my 4.0 5 speed Ranger. Guess not.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I still don't get how a SAS gets the same mileage as a BD while it is spinning heavier, wider more aggressive tires though.
I don't see BD 2.7 listed. I think it's the only one not listed.

Maybe due to the effective gearing of 32" and 4.46 vs 35" and 4.7?