Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subway
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What's the devil in these details? Why are there two listed ratings for the same vehicle?

1620753268517.png
The “non-Sasquatch Badlands” in the 1st line should likely be “non-Sasquatch Black Diamond” since it’s not listed and would make some sense with those numbers.
Sponsored

qwaves

Badlands
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1250 GSA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Imagine if you will......
Ford Planning meeting.
Planning executive while wringing hands, "We have approximately 4 times the number of buyers for a 21 than can possibly be served. What do we do? "
"Hey" says one guy, "We can leak a rumor about Heritage editions and some will hold off till 22 and then it won't be our fault"
"Great idea" says another dude. "How about we tell them they can get better colors in 22?"
A third guys mutters "Raptor maybe".
"Go with it!" says the boss.
Time does by......
Guy number 1 says "Boss, we still have 3 times as many people clamoring for 21's as we can possibly make. What do we do?"
The boss answers "Go leak some slightly crappy MPG figures with a bunch of errors. That will hold off a few more buyers. Later we can show the real, slightly better, numbers and get em back for 22"

Toaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLUR, ‘19 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you live in the mountains or something? This is since my last oil change. It includes a few weekends of 10-20mph forest service road trail rides.

ADC53D03-98A7-40A7-AB1C-65CDAB800406.jpeg
I live in the KC area so it’s pretty flat roads. You have the 4dr too right with steel bumpers? I’m surprised you’re able to get that because I’ve never seen anything higher than 17mpg on a tank.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty sad - a gas can will not be optional for 2 door badland owners lining in the interior west.

Plus, all you guys calling us whiners for 2mpg, For me, it really isn't 2 mpg, its 12mpg and I would grudgingly give up 8mpg but hey that is reality, be annoyed at giving up 10mpg, but at 12mpg it really does become a "do I really need bronco capability" question.

Old blue in my avatar got 16mpg all the time with the "tractor 6".

Sponsored

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I want MPG I'll just get in my Ram 2500 6.7 4x4 diesel with 375HP and 800 FP torque, gets 20 mpg highway at 70 all day. Weighs 8000+ pounds. It's faster, smoother, quieter than my JKUR. The Bronco will probably get better MPG when they put the 3.5 turbo in it. I'm in for that.
When my friends and I haul our RZR's anywhere the 2.7 eco always gets better fuel economy than my 3.5 does.
My 2020 F350 with the 6.7 gets better fuel economy unloaded than my 17 F150 3.5 eco does. Both are 10 speed. On a trip from TX to CO the F350 will get 20-21 while the F150 gets 18-19

FlyingBronco

Badlands
First Name
The Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Subaru outback range is like 600 miles. HAHA. almost double. I dont even think I've ever filled it up. I usually say "put $40 in it" since it lasts forever. Im cutting my hwy MPG in exactly half with a sas bronco....that's when you know it's gonna be badass
I hope the 2.7l turbos are a real help at altitude in CO. My 4cylinder Outback averages 27 mpg, basically all highway and that is with mountain hwy sprinkled in.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

how well the 10 speed holds the gears to keep them in the proper rpms.
This is what I hated most about the last 10 speed I drove. It holds the gear way too long in sport mode.

It seems like a lot of guys arent grasping the aerodynamics. A sasquatched bronco has twice as much front tire exposed than a big ol pick up truck. You know those little rubber wind deflectors they added to the lower bumpers of suburbans, pick ups, etc over the past 5 years? Imagine removing that....AND the front bumper...and what the impact would be to the MPG.
This. Aerodynamics are the end all be all. This is why you see better city mpg on some variants, because the drag at hwy speeds is brutal.

Looks like Im keeping my daily. Disappointed in the 2.3L hwy numbers. Was hoping for 23-24mpg. I really hope 6 gear isnt turning at 3000+ rpms at 75mph.
Crunch the numbers and see if it makes sense. The extra insurance alone on a 2nd car easily covers my increased fuel bill.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It is true that the 5.0 likes to rev. However, those with auto over at mustang6g rave about how well the 10 speed holds the gears to keep them in the proper rpms. Having said that, i think Ford made the right choice of engines for the Bronco.

I can hear my order moving up the build pull chart as i type this.
Yeah the 5.0 loves to rev, its a great engine in the Mustang and the A10 does a great job keeping it in the power band, just so happens the power band is a lot higher then what would be needed for the Bronco from my limited off road knowledge that I have gained here

Don't feed the troll. He's apparently never driven a Coyote, so he doesn't understand how NON-linear its powerband is. There's basically nothing from idle up to about 3000 when the cams finally kick in and there's a HUGE surge in power. It's the peakiest engine I've ever owned. The 2.7 EcoBoost in my Lincoln has a perfectly smooth powerband - the turbos spool as the torque converter flashes, so it ends up being very linear, responsive, and predictable. If I try and accelerate my Coyote through an intersection with a little gusto, I get nothing at first, then halfway through the intersection when the engine finally gets into the powerband, it just lights up the rear tires with no change in throttle position.

And let's not even mention that the 2.7 F-150 very handily out-accelerates the 5.0.

He continues to hang his hat on this theoretical concept of a linear powerband from idle to 2000 rpm, which he's never been able to quantitatively demonstrate, because it doesn't exist.

But reality has never stopped some people from believing whatever they want to believe.
^ He said it better than I did lol

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you for making my point.

2018 so not the newest.
🙄 🙄 🙄

What does a dyno plot where they stepped on the gas after 2000rpm have to do with anything?

Talk to me a bit about the relationship between power production and torque converter slip.
Sponsored