BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OK, the big Bronco costs and eats gas. If ya cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Unless you got to have a big bad Bronco, there are many options that will do some dirt that gets much better MPG. Bronco Sport costs less. 2.0 turbo moves pretty good but the 2.3 turbo would be perfect, maybe in 2023.
Sponsored

moisea

Wildtrak
First Name
Moses
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano 2015
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Via Bronco Nation

1620750232409.png

The competition

1620750480248.png

More reference points / technical specs chart for comparing the trims / models:

2021 Bronco official MPG fuel economy.png
Wow, may be I should just wait for the imaginary hybrid version in 2029 or the hope for a Warthog EV in 2023.

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Looks like I’m switching to the 2.3L. Horsepower is the same. Insurance is cheaper. And even with Sasquatch, the mpg is slightly better. I just can’t justify the extra $2k for the 2.7 anymore. The extra 75 torque won’t help me off-road.

Sponsored

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Kinda funny how MPG is separating the men from the boys in a vehicle made to go off-roading.

If you've ever spent anytime in a non-aerodynamic, heavy vehicle with this kind of gearing and big tires, you would know these are actually decent numbers.

If you want better numbers, the Bronco Sport is now waiting for you at your local dealer.
Real world my caveman crude 5500lb V8 F-150 rolling on 32" MT's gets the same mpg running 75mph on the interstate as our 2.3 powered non SAS Black Diamond is rated.

Color me unimpressed.

IMO the gearing is too deep. Unless you have a 100hp 4cyl you shouldn't need 4.46's to turn measily 32's. Compared to the 2.7's ratings it almost seems that the test speed hits the 2.3 at a bad part of the powerband.

My offroad truck ('85 Ranger) turns 31's fine with 200hp and 3.73's... and it also gets 18mpg hwy with a V8 and a 4bbl while being more of a brick than a new Bronco could ever hope to be.

I thought "better than my archaic V8 powered junk" would be a pretty low bar to exceed... and they tied it.

The BD getting the same mpg as a SAS with the same engine is also weird, weird enough to make me question the accuracy of the whole thing.

But really 2-3mpg isn't a huge deal though... still disappointing though. Maybe by the time we get ours in '22 they will have changed something.

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Everyone on Bronco6G running to their nearest Jeep dealership to get that 0% for 84 months. This was the nail in the coffin ladies and gents. 🤣
Let'em......the Bronco is a better machine.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not bad at all, but at the same time these figures should be more than reachable with the new 5.0L which is a bitter pill to swallow.
I predicted a little under a year ago that the fuel economy of small turbo engines would not be great in something geared so high, these engines will always be in boost during normal use which destroys the eco aspect.
I’m not able to read 15 pages of replies right now, but thought I’d weigh in on this.

It needs to be remembered that mileage is not directly linked to enigne displacement. Rather, it’s linked to the engine’s efficiency at converting energy of combustion to the turning of the drive wheels. Everything in between the explosions and the wheels turning is trying to take this energy away. If resistance such as air friction, tire rolling resistance and drivetrain are assumed to be fixed, then it is up to the design of the engine that will make those small gains or losses in mileage.

If a 2.3l with boost is as efficient as a normally aspirated 5.0l at harnessing the energy of combustion, then the mileage will be same. It used to be that larger displacement engines and higher-cylinder count engines had more friction and inertia to overcome, so they typically used to get poorer mileage. Better lubricants and lighter alloys used in making engine components, plus variable cylinder utilization such as what’s found in GM’s V8s can erase that smaller engine advantage.

So, in a perfect world you’d expect the same mileage out of any engine design since it becomes a simple formula of, “you spray in x amount of fuel, you get y mileage at your measured constant speed. You now need to factor in driving habits and how often you tap into the higher-available horsepower of the bigger engines. More hp means more fuel is being used, so your mileage will drop.

My 0.02.

What the charts tell me is the 10AT (looks to be almost as efficient) <edit and thanks to @Tricky Dick > than the 7MT, which is surprising in my old-school brain. That’s pretty cool, but I’m still getting the 7MT.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sas Badlands, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Still think a Badlands Sasquatch can pull at least 20 mpg on normal dirt trails at 30-60 mph. Can't wait to find out. I know my BS Badlands is getting 4 mpg better than the EPA figures the first 5K miles.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If that were true explain to me why my Wrangler unlimited gets better numbers than the comparable 4 door OBX in standard dress. If the all derided FCA can get those numbers one would think the all knowing, all great Ford could get close. It's easy to spout drivel like the "men from boys" statement, when that has nothing to do with the subject.

If I was ordering mine with the SAS package I'd be fine with those numbers, but I'm not. So, 20 mpgs is quite disappointing to me.
Please consider the Wrangler makes no where near 400ftlbs of torque. I see other posts explaining that their mid 80's v8 gets the same mileage but wait! they are no where near that range either.
You all need to consider the apples to apples look at the gains you get for that mileage it gets.
Don't just target MPG. Look at power output, gearing tire size etc. There are few (None)units out there with over 400 ft lbs of torque rolling on factory 35's posting better MPG results.
What I see is a bunch of kids looking in the wrong toy box for their favorite toy.
Go ahead, get a wrangler I believe most will never use a Bronco for what its made for. If you really will not need this amount of torque, tire size, sway bar disconnect, trail turn assist.....look for a different vehicle because this one isn't for you. Just the facts bro.

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My 1982 Toyota 4x4 never got more than 20mpg, more like 16 avg. It was however only about 105 hp, so Bronco 2.7 is giving us over 3 times the hp for that kind of fun. My 505hp Z06 vette gets near 25mpg on highway but I can’t run over a dead squirrel unless someone else has already flattened it. (Tough to see a dead squirrel at 200 mph though ;) We have a lot of choices. Bronco is just one of them.