Sponsored

mattyzx3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don't forget about the effect of the transmission gearing on fuel economy. The higher the gear ratio number the lower the fuel economy. The most fuel efficient pickup, the 2021 Silverado diesel is rated at 33mpg on the highway. It has a 3.21 axle. The Broncos were geared for off road and some of them have a 4.7.
Sponsored

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My fiesta st beats the ratings on every tank
Anything ecoboost with a manual transmission gives you a chance. I have beaten epa on the Fiesta ST and Mustang 2.3T. Not the Focus ST or RS though.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Who says Ford spends way more time and effort on the F150? Considering industry analysts are saying this is the most important vehicle for Ford and its future I doubt there is any truth to it. Its shaped like a brick because that is what customers want, not because Ford is withholding time and effort, that is nonsensical.
Ford spends more on the F-150/SuperDuty than any other product. The Bronco is very important to Ford, but it is not their most important vehicle. It is their most profitable vehicle and it isn’t close.

Yes, the Bronco has the mpg it does because owners don’t care and they want to be able to take it off road. But Ford isn’t going to spend any additional money on making the Bronco efficient because buyers don’t care. Sure, they could throw the PowerBoost engine in the Bronco, but it isn’t worth the time, effort, or expense. Everything is built to a price. The Bronco is no exception. Hell, they didn’t spend enough money to make the seats fold flat.

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have always exceeded "official" numbers including Ford products. How it is driven makes all the difference and highway driving is not all the same. I know plenty of drivers always modulating the throttle, they come up on traffic cut in & out and and floor it. Then complain about not making official numbers. City driving If you accelerate hard when the light turns green only to slam on your brakes at the next light you're mileage is going to suck. EcoBoost engines are powerful driving style is going to make more difference than your 130HP 4-banger.
I’ve never exceeded EPA in a Ford Ecoboost engine with an automatic transmission. I came close in my MkT with the 3.5TT. Funny enough that got better fuel economy than the MKC 2.3 we had for awhile.

I am well aware of how to get efficiency from an engine. I’m not hard on my Ranger but it’s still 15-20% off EPA. I don’t care, it just is what it is. I had my friend, who is a Ford engineer, drive my truck 400 miles round trip and complain about how poor the fuel economy is and tell me he gets better mileage with his Mustang GT.

Ford has had issues with EPA mileage. It’s a fact. They had to send me checks because of it.

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anything ecoboost with a manual transmission gives you a chance. I have beaten epa on the Fiesta ST and Mustang 2.3T. Not the Focus ST or RS though.
I hope you're right.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
At this point, they could put the Coyote 5.0 in there and mileage would improve. Plus they could charge a pretty premium for it.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe I didn't ask that correctly, If I took the OBX and just swapped the locking axle (which is an $800 option, but I'm assuming doesn't change the tires) That would change the gear ratio, but not the wheels/tires. My question is the normal OBX (with 2.3 auto) is rated 20/22/21, I'm assuming that just changing to that different gear ratio with the rear locker (4.27 as compared to 3.73 standard for that model) would impact the MPG, but presumably not as much as say, going full on SAS with the bigger tires and the 4.7 (which would be 18/18/18).
My reply was more directed at those complaining about the SAS n
Ford spends more on the F-150/SuperDuty than any other product. The Bronco is very important to Ford, but it is not their most important vehicle. It is their most profitable vehicle and it isn’t close.

Yes, the Bronco has the mpg it does because owners don’t care and they want to be able to take it off road. But Ford isn’t going to spend any additional money on making the Bronco efficient because buyers don’t care. Sure, they could throw the PowerBoost engine in the Bronco, but it isn’t worth the time, effort, or expense. Everything is built to a price. The Bronco is no exception. Hell, they didn’t spend enough money to make the seats fold flat.
You sound like the guy that said they didn't spend enough to make it tow 8500 lbs! Non SAS Bronco gets 20/22 MPG comparable to any 4WD truck. Isn't F150 around 16 city? The Mercedes G class gets 13 city 14 highway. By your reasoning they must be too cheap to do better. I think you're just here to troll on Bronco.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My reply was more directed at those complaining about the SAS n

You sound like the guy that said they didn't spend enough to make it tow 8500 lbs! Non SAS Bronco gets 20/22 MPG comparable to any 4WD truck. Isn't F150 around 16 city? The Mercedes G class gets 13 city 14 highway. By your reasoning they must be too cheap to do better. I think you're just here to troll on Bronco.
What's the range on that Mercedes G?
29 gallons gonna pass the bronco 2x. 🤣

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would be very curious to do a fair comparison test between a JLU on 35’s vs a Bronco on 35’s as far as mileage is concerned. Just doing some research on the JL forums about half of people say that 35’s don’t affect the mileage too much, and half the people say they start getting 15-16 MPG. Would be interesting to see the difference.
Lift and 33" tires kills mpg on my TJ compared to no lift and 31" tires on my CJ7. CJ also has more friendly highway diff gears. I think JL and Bronco will be similar mpg if comparing like to like.

Also maybe it was brought up in the 30+ pages of this thread, but lower weight 2-door models should in theory get better mpg than heavier 4-doors? But on page one there was no differentiation.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
What's the range on that Mercedes G?
29 gallons gonna pass the bronco 2x. 🤣
Bronco 4-door range = 19.7 x 22 = 433 miles. AMG G 4MATIC SUV range = 29 x 15 = 435 miles. Personally I could care less about range 300 miles is plenty -- but I get it its a concern for some. The Poser saying the Bronco gets bad mileage because Ford is too cheap to invest is full of the smelly stuff that comes out the rear end of a Bronco. That G will set you back $150K!. Sure it has a V8 but I'll take 20MPG over 13MPG and save myself $116,000! All these guys screaming about mileage are either ignorant or trolls. The Bronco is a 4WD truck, not a Prius! 20-22 is more pretty good for a 4WD truck. Of course when you add huge tires and low gearing mileage is going to head south.

Sponsored

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base

The Power Boost engine is brand new this year and is priced in Raptor territory. At this price point it will not be a mainstream engine, personally I would go with Diesel and forgo the hybrid complexity. It would be crazy for Ford to offer this engine the first year of Bronco, and you can get close to the same mileage without the SAS package. Ford will offer additional engine options in the future, they already announced hybrid and electric Broncos. Of course F150 is important to Ford its the best selling vehicle. That said all eyes are no Bronco right now!

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bronco 4-door range = 19.7 x 22 = 433 miles. AMG G 4MATIC SUV range = 29 x 15 = 435 miles. Personally I could care less about range 300 miles is plenty -- but I get it its a concern for some. The Poser saying the Bronco gets bad mileage because Ford is too cheap to invest is full of the smelly stuff that comes out the rear end of a Bronco. That G will set you back $150K!. Sure it has a V8 but I'll take 20MPG over 13MPG and save myself $116,000! All these guys screaming about mileage are either ignorant or trolls. The Bronco is a 4WD truck, not a Prius! 20-22 is more pretty good for a 4WD truck. Of course when you add huge tires and low gearing mileage is going to head south.
meh, the 4 door looks like an explorer.
You'll get that 20 mpg maybe with a tailwind at less than 50 mph.
There's no excuse for Ford to put a micro tank in the 2 door knowing the real world combined mpg is less than 18.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We travel from TX to CO four or five times a year. Some highways are posted 85 and some 80. It's 650 miles one way so you can be sure I won't be driving at 65mph.
Looking a a OBX with either 4.27 for the locker or the 3.73 for the added fuel economy. We don't plan on doing and real rugged 4wheeling anyway as we have a Polaris XP Turbo for that.

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lift and 33" tires kills mpg on my TJ compared to no lift and 31" tires on my CJ7. CJ also has more friendly highway diff gears. I think JL and Bronco will be similar mpg if comparing like to like.

Also maybe it was brought up in the 30+ pages of this thread, but lower weight 2-door models should in theory get better mpg than heavier 4-doors? But on page one there was no differentiation.
You have to take reported mileage numbers with a grain of salt. People will report what they want to believe not necessarily the truth. Of course doubling tire weight and lowering gearing is going to affect mileage. Free energy is a myth folks. It's like the bimmer guys saying low profile tires doesn't affect ride. Newton's laws of physics is real it's not a myth.