Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The number of units before job 1 is pre planned. With just in time supply chains the plant won’t pull ahead or make more units during the pre builds. Think of the pre build as a scrimmage for a football team, helps to get the kinks out without losing a game.
Ya I understand what it is, just frustrating when they're saying things like "commodity shortages" and sending out emails with "production updates" due to "the global pandemic" all while building dealer demos that you, I, and everyone knows are going to go to some 16yo dealers son (or the their buddy) in a several months while most of us are waiting for our day one reservations to be built.
Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good insight. What about the 999 Broncos that were built in January? Do those go down a different line possibly? You have to think Ford has been through Lean Six Sigma to stream line their process the best they can.
Earlier pre builds are used for reliability testing, federal crash testing, fuel economy testing, car shows,etc. Usually the earlier the build the less likely they are sellable units due to liability. I’m no familiar with MAPs layout. I suspect all production goes down the same final line. Broncos might have dedicated body, paint or trim lines.
The pre builds help to lean out the process. Building a static unit or just one on a production line is much different than running 25 an hour. Balancing out workload on operators, fits on part to part, and chip/scratch/dent/dings are just a few of the things to work out at the plant level.

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good insight. What about the 999 Broncos that were built in January? Do those go down a different line possibly? You have to think Ford has been through Lean Six Sigma to stream line their process the best they can.
pretty sure those are TT builds = Tool test

Last edited:

BroncoBilly17

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford F-150 XLT Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A vehicle launch starts with a small number of units built a day to get the workers used to the new product that they are building. This also gives the engineers time to make sure that all the tooling is aligned for at speed production, inspect the vehicles closely and make any corrections to the line as needed.

The first vehicles are not the vehicles you want to sell right away, but they are fixable and can be made perfect for press reviews. Then as they ramp up and the quality is getting better they build more per day and these will be the dealer FCTP/mannequin units. They were pre determined by Ford to make sure they build all the combinations so the line workers have that experience. Also these have to fit the commodities that they have coming in.

These vehicles will sit at MAP until they are perfect and may need some corrections or updates. Once the vehicles coming off the line are determined to be of high quality, they say OKTB has achieved. They will not build a single retail order until OKTB has been achieved. Once OKTB is achieved they will start building the customer orders and they will start shipping the dealer demos.

The dealer Demos will typically ship Last in First Out, its backwards, but it seems to be the way it works. Theoretically some customer vehicles should ship prior to all of the dealer demos shipping.
I'm not saying this is wrong, but based on my experience working with 2 different auto companies, I do question your comments (don't take that personally). I have been part of many MY changes, major model change launches, and while I agree that it is usually a slow ramp up, in this case, with such a low volume of Ranger orders at MAP, and seemingly so many Bronco builds that have been out on press tours, I would assume they have already run many units down the line to test the assembly and fit issues. I would have thought after all these months of waiting, that by now they would be into Job 1. Just my 2cents

OP
OP
PREMiERdrum

PREMiERdrum

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Flex, 2016 Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Does anyone have any insight on how many units had to be produced before the Ranger reached OKTB? Bronco Sport? I assume they will move up the OKTB date if they do reach their quality goals early. If this does happen, I would be curious as to what their priorities with be, finish out their dealer demo quota or start building customer orders???

I would HOPE that with commodity shortages and the fact that they have already sold every single non-dealer demo MY21, and who knows how many MY22s, that they would start customer orders immediately and tell the dealers to pound sand until they finish orders out in 22. I mean why do they need demos when Ford has already sold out MY21s? I understand that the dealer demos are a handout to the dealerships given they will be sold after a period of time but EVERY MY21 dealer demo produced is a MY21 that a customer with an order won't get.
Ranger OKTB was issued prior to the actual Job 1 date.

Sponsored

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ya I understand what it is, just frustrating when they're saying things like "commodity shortages" and sending out emails with "production updates" due to "the global pandemic" all while building dealer demos that you, I, and everyone knows are going to go to some 16yo dealers son (or the their buddy) in a several months while most of us are waiting for our day one reservations to be built.
I'm not saying this is wrong, but based on my experience working with 2 different auto companies, I do question your comments (don't take that personally). I have been part of many MY changes, major model change launches, and while I agree that it is usually a slow ramp up, in this case, with such a low volume of Ranger orders at MAP, and seemingly so many Bronco builds that have been out on press tours, I would assume they have already run many units down the line to test the assembly and fit issues. I would have thought after all these months of waiting, that by now they would be into Job 1. Just my 2cents
From the outside looking in I think MAP is not the holdup, a handful of suppliers are keeping Broncos from rolling.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A vehicle launch starts with a small number of units built a day to get the workers used to the new product that they are building. This also gives the engineers time to make sure that all the tooling is aligned for at speed production, inspect the vehicles closely and make any corrections to the line as needed.

The first vehicles are not the vehicles you want to sell right away, but they are fixable and can be made perfect for press reviews. Then as they ramp up and the quality is getting better they build more per day and these will be the dealer FCTP/mannequin units. They were pre determined by Ford to make sure they build all the combinations so the line workers have that experience. Also these have to fit the commodities that they have coming in.

These vehicles will sit at MAP until they are perfect and may need some corrections or updates. Once the vehicles coming off the line are determined to be of high quality, they say OKTB has achieved. They will not build a single retail order until OKTB has been achieved. Once OKTB is achieved they will start building the customer orders and they will start shipping the dealer demos.

The dealer Demos will typically ship Last in First Out, its backwards, but it seems to be the way it works. Theoretically some customer vehicles should ship prior to all of the dealer demos shipping.
Great explanation! Thanks

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone have any insight on how many units had to be produced before the Ranger reached OKTB? Bronco Sport? I assume they will move up the OKTB date if they do reach their quality goals early. If this does happen, I would be curious as to what their priorities with be, finish out their dealer demo quota or start building customer orders???

I would HOPE that with commodity shortages and the fact that they have already sold every single non-dealer demo MY21, and who knows how many MY22s, that they would start customer orders immediately and tell the dealers to pound sand until they finish orders out in 22. I mean why do they need demos when Ford has already sold out MY21s? I understand that the dealer demos are a handout to the dealerships given they will be sold after a period of time but EVERY MY21 dealer demo produced is a MY21 that a customer with an order won't get.
The purpose of getting the dealer demos out first has multiple reasons. One of those is to given the folks with 21s a chance to actually see a Bronco in person. How many people here have actually seen one or driven one? 0-1%?

The second reason is that right now I’m guessing MY22 isn’t sold out so with MY22 ordering opening up this summer what better way to sell more?

There are a lot of people who won’t buy sight unseen.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Folks also need to realize that commodity constrained does mean there aren’t any parts available but that there’s usually not enough parts to meet the full demand. This is why they could potentially make all the FE with all the goodies but not have enough parts to make other orders. We know that all of the FE are early reservations so I would expect them off the line first.

Fordmanbob

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 4x4 supercrew, 2006 F350 4x4 superc.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Doesn't mod top automatically make it 22?
Yes. I was going mic But really want a mod top. I figured what the hell. Gives me more time to pay my current truck loan down and save more money

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The purpose of getting the dealer demos out first has multiple reasons. One of those is to given the folks with 21s a chance to actually see a Bronco in person. How many people here have actually seen one or driven one? 0-1%?

The second reason is that right now I’m guessing MY22 isn’t sold out so with MY22 ordering opening up this summer what better way to sell more?

There are a lot of people who won’t buy sight unseen.
Everyone who will get a MY21 from an order will do so having ordered without a test drive (outside of very special exceptions). If a test drive is required before you order, a MY21 isn't in the cards for you... I've been waiting for a new Bronco since they released that retro concept way back in 2004, if it's half as good as they're advertising I need nothing more!

I would rather Ford focus on completing the orders they have now, then worry about new MY22 orders. Produce enough Broncos for the dealers to have one each, I would hope that would give them enough production (3000+) to work out most issues, then start filling orders. It's not like they aren't already producing Rangers. Yes they are working out production issues, but I think there are other factors (like making dealers happy) that are driving up the number of demo units produced. I think that needs to take a back seat to the customer orders.

GlowingMoose

First Edition
First Name
Glendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cheverolet Traverse
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We've been told several times that customer orders will take precedence over dealer stock not to be confused with demo's. What's frustrating is dealers are sneakingly buying them to sell them.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree, oddly enough, with most of both statements. And they aren't necessarily contradictory.
After running the amount they already have (and continue to), all of the value stream mapping, kanbans, warehouse-line crating and carts, work flow, and sub assembly operations should be proofed out by now and weak areas already addressed and fixed.
I've been part of assembly/paint line operations for a couple of decades and for a company their size with the time they have had to set it up and launch, it would amaze the socks off of me if they aren't sitting at about 98% effective and ready by now.
They have had a lot of time and a lot of product to identify bottlenecks and constraints, revamp the storage and transfer of parts to avoid rework issues, and lean-proof the process.
I understand it JUST started officially this week, so I would expect a slow start at first to get the kanbans full and product flow going.
If they aren't at or above 98% production speed in a week from now it is more than likely due to two things, maybe even both at the same time:
Skilled labor
Component constraint (due to parts and/or manpower on the supplier level).
IF it is line design then industrial engineers somewhere dropped some major balls.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everyone who will get a MY21 from an order will do so having ordered without a test drive (outside of very special exceptions). If a test drive is required before you order, a MY21 isn't in the cards for you... I've been waiting for a new Bronco since they released that retro concept way back in 2004, if it's half as good as they're advertising I need nothing more!

I would rather Ford focus on completing the orders they have now, then worry about new MY22 orders. Produce enough Broncos for the dealers to have one each, I would hope that would give them enough production (3000+) to work out most issues, then start filling orders. It's not like they aren't already producing Rangers. Yes they are working out production issues, but I think there are other factors (like making dealers happy) that are driving up the number of demo units produced. I think that needs to take a back seat to the customer orders.
In business you focus on the sales you haven't made, not the ones you have. Getting FY21 buyer into loaded demos might get them to up level some options (bonus for Ford). But the real focus is on FY22 buyers.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree, oddly enough, with most of both statements. And they aren't necessarily contradictory.
After running the amount they already have (and continue to), all of the value stream mapping, kanbans, warehouse-line crating and carts, work flow, and sub assembly operations should be proofed out by now and weak areas already addressed and fixed.
I've been part of assembly/paint line operations for a couple of decades and for a company their size with the time they have had to set it up and launch, it would amaze the socks off of me if they aren't sitting at about 98% effective and ready by now.
They have had a lot of time and a lot of product to identify bottlenecks and constraints, revamp the storage and transfer of parts to avoid rework issues, and lean-proof the process.
I understand it JUST started officially this week, so I would expect a slow start at first to get the kanbans full and product flow going.
If they aren't at or above 98% production speed in a week from now it is more than likely due to two things, maybe even both at the same time:
Skilled labor
Component constraint (due to parts and/or manpower on the supplier level).
IF it is line design then industrial engineers somewhere dropped some major balls.
Then you would know the last 2% can be the hardest.
Sponsored