First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So as I go through the exercise many of us are doing, comparing our higher trim have a lot of things, with our base build, only have some things builds, I have been looking at offline Phone app maps, to replace the built in GPS of Built in GPS.

So being incredibly naïve about offline maps and the phones GPS ability with them, it has been quite interesting reading about the possibilities.

This might not be the forum for it, but either looking for maybe a push in right direction of where to expand my knowledge, or anyone here, who has some insight, on maybe the easiest entry into trying these apps out currently, with my Android and the JKU.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored

Firefly

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford F250 Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My offline navigation is a good old fashioned paper map.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Google allows you to download maps and use . . . and TomTom and Sygic (among other I am sure) have pretty decent GPS Navigation systems that you can purchase reasonably and utilize through CarPlay even without cell service . . . and Waze and Google work really well when you do have cell service. My last two Fords have had CarPlay and I've used that 90% of the time vs the built in Navigation on the sync 3 . . . not that the built in is a bad systems it is just a whole lot easier to search and find places on the phone and use the CarPlay - IMO.

OP
OP

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I do use Car play, and am aware of the portable navigation systems, which in the end, may be the best choice, as they are dirt cheap, for anything I would need.

That being said, I like less stuff if I can manage it, and already have the phone like 99% of us do. I guess I will just have to experiment.

As for paper maps, they are great, grew up with that, but at times, digital is nice, just like at times, I prefer forest service maps for instance.

FF440Andrew

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150, 2019 Subaru Ascent
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m a big fan of The OnX app on my iPhone. So far it has been great for camping and hunting. I have the belief that if I still have cell phone reception I’m too close to civilization. OnX works great offline

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
GAIA is what you need.....
It took me off-road cross country Boston to Vegas on the TransAmerica Trail

"Gaia has one of the largest selections of map types of any app. This is one of its greatest strengths. Our favorite when available is the USFS Raster Maps. These maps show the greatest amount of details for Forest Roads and 4WD Trails. Multiple satellite imagery and road maps are available as well as unique maps like FAA aviation charts. "

https://www.4xoverlandadventures.com/navigation-app-choice-gaia-gps/#:~:text= Our Navigation App of Choice – Gaia,and Phone Support from within Gaia... More

Pair Gaia up with the iOverlander app and that's all you'll need....

http://ioverlander.com/
Sponsored

Last edited: