Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Doing my first oil change went to reinstall the oil cartridge and somehow it became cross threaded and the genius engineers at Ford thought plastic housing was a great idea.. Resulting in broken thread. With barely any pressure...
Ford Bronco Oil cartridge install warning EC2E1C4C-FFC9-412E-9AAF-CAD2554469FC
So if there are people out there like me.. Ensure that it's 100% seated properly.. Or its gonna run you 45$. And if u don't have a 1-32nd socket a 27mm will work.

Thank you for attending my Ted talk.
Sponsored

shimmy825

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doing my first oil change went to reinstall the oil cartridge and somehow it became cross threaded and the genius engineers at Ford thought plastic housing was a great idea.. Resulting in broken thread. With barely any pressure...
Ford Bronco Oil cartridge install warning EC2E1C4C-FFC9-412E-9AAF-CAD2554469FC
So if there are people out there like me.. Ensure that it's 100% seated properly.. Or its gonna run you 45$. And if u don't have a 1-32nd socket a 27mm will work.

Thank you for attending my Ted talk.
Where did you get the replacement cartridge?

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That’s why Ford should be changing your oil for free with your FordPass rewards points.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Steel threads can also be cross threaded. It’s a user issue not an engineering issue. Since it’s an O-Ring seal, you could have probably trimmed the damaged threads and reinstalled it without any issues.

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I always start these (and any threaded bolt) by backwards spinning until I feel the thread drop then stop and twist the other way to tighten. Perfectly aligns the threaded object and prevents cross-threading

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I see a big problem in the making here. Most deaers hire just out of high school kids, and teach them the simply process of changing oil. However, the finer aspects such as this is self learned. I hope Ford has a large supply of replacements parts at the ready. Of course the way things are going now most replacement parts are sitting off the coast of California.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see a big problem in the making here. Most deaers hire just out of high school kids, and teach them the simply process of changing oil. However, the finer aspects such as this is self learned. I hope Ford has a large supply of replacements parts at the ready. Of course the way things are going now most replacement parts are sitting off the coast of California.
You're assuming they'll replace them and not just screw on tighter and go 🤣

Bandit958

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 Bronco, 2021 F150 4x4 Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same set-up my F150 has for the oil filter, Thought it was pretty simple, But I agree you
could have snapped off the broken thread and still used it.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My original response may have been a little harsh. That said, I thank the OP for noting the vulnerability of this part AND will always be careful when reinstalling it. I do not trust oil changes by others, including dealers. Once had a quick change franchise change the oil on my wife’s company Subaru. They drained the transmission fluid (by mistake) then added the full oil capacity to the engine….. Then she drove it home!!!!!!! Hard to imagine that much white smoke!!!!!

OP
OP
Ig_bronco

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where did you get the replacement cartridge?
Had to call the dealer. I believe it's the same cartridge as the f150 and ranger

OP
OP
Ig_bronco

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Steel threads can also be cross threaded. It’s a user issue not an engineering issue. Since it’s an O-Ring seal, you could have probably trimmed the damaged threads and reinstalled it without any issues.
I'll let this insult slide.. You're not wrong but not right.. I think the rubber gaskets where t seated properly causing it to misalign

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I really don't get why they used a cartridge. My 1947 Jeep engine uses a cartridge, my son's Tacoma (and it's a PITA), all other vehicles I've had use canister, no problem, why ?
Sponsored