First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doing my first oil change went to reinstall the oil cartridge and somehow it became cross threaded and the genius engineers at Ford thought plastic housing was a great idea.. Resulting in broken thread. With barely any pressure...
EC2E1C4C-FFC9-412E-9AAF-CAD2554469FC.jpeg
So if there are people out there like me.. Ensure that it's 100% seated properly.. Or its gonna run you 45$. And if u don't have a 1-32nd socket a 27mm will work.

Thank you for attending my Ted talk.
What is the red stuff in the O-Ring seats?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ig_bronco

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What is the red stuff in the O-Ring seats?
The old o-ring residue. Although I'm not certain why there were any.. The lid was barely hand tight. Not even torqued to spec.

OP
OP
Ig_bronco

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I
Same set-up my F150 has for the oil filter, Thought it was pretty simple, But I agree you
could have snapped off the broken thread and still used it.
thought so but better safe than sorry.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always start these (and any threaded bolt) by backwards spinning until I feel the thread drop then stop and twist the other way to tighten. Perfectly aligns the threaded object and prevents cross-threading
That's what I nearly always do, as well.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford is not the only one using plastic housing for the cartridge filters. So far I have encountered them on Audi, Porsche, VW, and Toyota. I have never had an issue. Start the threads by hand. Do not use a tool until the threads are fully started.

Sponsored

jlj4660

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2023 Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The oil filters have been similar on Powerstrokes for a while/ Have a fleet and never had a issue with crossthreading

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just did an oil change on my Wrangler and they have the same plastic cap.

The thing that made me nervous is that if you put the filter in the cap first, then as you're trying to thread the cap on, the filter is pressing back. So it's very hard to tell if it is going on hard because it's cross threaded, or is it going on hard because the o-ring on the filter is trying to snap in.

I don't know if you can do it on the Bronco, but I found snapping the filter into the housing first and making sure it's fully seated, and then putting on the cap works a ton better. You get just a little bit of free play to make sure you're not cross threaded until the filter starts to seat itself in the cap and put up some resistance.

Again, not sure if this would work with the Bronco, but I'll be happy to pass it along if I ever get mine.

Bob Blaylock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Dart
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford is not the only one using plastic housing for the cartridge filters. So far I have encountered them on Audi, Porsche, VW, and Toyota. I have never had an issue. Start the threads by hand. Do not use a tool until the threads are fully started.
Should you use a tool at all on this? I know that this is very different than the type of oil filters I'm used to, but I always thought that oil filters should never be more than hand-tight. Tighten just until the gasket makes contact, then a quarter-turn past that.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Should you use a tool at all on this? I know that this is very different than the type of oil filters I'm used to, but I always thought that oil filters should never be more than hand-tight. Tighten just until the gasket makes contact, then a quarter-turn past that.
This should be a specified torque setting. For my Wrangler it is 18 foot pounds.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

On installation I only use a tool to snug it down. I thread them in by hand. Removal, break it loose with a tool and then unscrew by hand. The o-ring will cause a little drag but it is still doable.

Sponsored

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
My original response may have been a little harsh. That said, I thank the OP for noting the vulnerability of this part AND will always be careful when reinstalling it. I do not trust oil changes by others, including dealers. Once had a quick change franchise change the oil on my wife’s company Subaru. They drained the transmission fluid (by mistake) then added the full oil capacity to the engine….. Then she drove it home!!!!!!! Hard to imagine that much white smoke!!!!!
Interesting- On an oil change at a multi-dealership quick lube they mistakenly drained the transmission fluid and filled it with oil. It too was a Subaru ( 2007 Impreza )- made it 50' out off the service bay.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Op take a file and carefully trim off that broken thread,the o ring does the sealing it will be good as new and might start easier.👍

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Op take a file and carefully trim off that broken thread,the o ring does the sealing it will be good as new and might start easier.👍

Yes been years since I used to be in a machine shop, but if I remember correctly it only takes 3 to 4 threads to get full strength for most things. Let me think about how thick and nut usually is.

The issue is just cleaning up the threads so that it doesn't cross the thread again. And of course this assumes all the damages with the cap and there is nothing wrong with the "engine side"
Sponsored