Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

All TIA, I have a 2.7. I been seeing that I should get a oil catch can. What does it really do? ( don’t say it catches oil) Should I get it? Is it really necessary? And which do you all recommend?
Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
you don't need it...

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're going to get conflicting feedback on this topic, it's about as controversial as politics. Searching past threads is probably the best bet since they all tend to descend into an insult fest.

FWIW, I run them, some vehicles absolutely require them, some brands work better than others, I think it's worth the money.

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree, you are going to get some STRONG opinions on both sides. Do your own research and do what you want.

Like @DogHauler I have one on my 2.7L and I think it's worth while.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here's a recent thread about catch can & 2.7L : https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/nothing-in-catch-can.37592/

I personally don't think that a catch can is "needed" on the 2.7L due to it having both Direct & Port Fuel Injection, as the Port Injection will do a good job of minimizing the buildup of deposits on the back of the intake valve.

Now with that said, I don't think that it's not going to hurt to have a catch can on the 2.7L and if you would like to have one for your own piece of mind, go for it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
California waiting

California waiting

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Here's a recent thread about catch can & 2.7L : https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/nothing-in-catch-can.37592/

I personally don't think that a catch can is "needed" on the 2.7L due to it having both Direct & Port Fuel Injection, as the Port Injection will do a good job of minimizing the buildup of deposits on the back of the intake valve.

Now with that said, I don't think that it's not going to hurt to have a catch can on the 2.7L and if you would like to have one for your own piece of mind, go for it.
Thank you

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Agreed. Fuel ahead of the intake valve will eliminate the primary need catch cans are used for, which is to keep carbon build up out of the intake track. So the only reason for having it on the 2.7 would be to "catch' any oil vapors from going through the intake track to get a cleaner combustion and lessen emissions.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
All TIA, I have a 2.7. I been seeing that I should get a oil catch can. What does it really do? ( don’t say it catches oil) Should I get it? Is it really necessary? And which do you all recommend?
I recommend doing some research onto the reasons why catch cans differ for the 2.3 and 2.7 engines offered in Bronco. There are good threads on the subject, including in Mishimoto's product threads by them and other users.

Rush4th

Base
First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anyone want to ship a 2.7 catch can to california for me? Lol

Last edited:

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As you can see by reading threads here it's a waist of money for the minimal benefits. Those in favor of this doo-dad are either trying to sell theirs or trying to justify there waistfull un-needed purchase and the labor to install it...typical.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As you can see by reading threads here it's a waist of money for the minimal benefits. Those in favor of this doo-dad are either trying to sell theirs or trying to justify there waistfull un-needed purchase and the labor to install it...typical.
Exactly

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
We installed the UPR catch can kit and in my opinion it's definitely worth it. I just removed ours to see how much oil was in it after about 9k miles and it had a bunch of sludge in there. Better to see it captured in the can than to be recirculated through the intake.

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Ford Bronco Oil catch can for 2.7 3394EC57-F0F1-42D3-B625-7D7A88F8B382

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Anyone want to ship a 2.7 catch can to california for me? Lol
Mishimoto ships to CA...you just have to indicate by checking a box on the website that it's for "off-road use" only. Regardless of the opinions on the interwebs, If you actually have a catch can on your Bronco the proof of effectiveness is pretty simple. If oil comes out of it, that is oil that would have gone into the intake. Injection ahead of the valve will dilute the oil and most likely prevent it from forming any deposits on the valves, but that still is a fuel mixture diluted with a hint of oil...a catch can is not intended only to keep your valves clean. Any oil (or other combustion byproducts) in the fuel (even if it's diluted) is still going to potentially have an impact on octane and combustion. If someone installs catch cans and never is able to get any oil out of them, then yes a catch can wasn't necessary or useful...but even on the 2.7 anyone who's ever installed a catch can will get oil out of it. Necessary? Absolutely not...beneficial? If you don't want any oil in your fuel mixture, yes. Adding a catch can on both sides (for not only ideal but also boost) can also reduce oil mist in the intercooler/air box).
Sponsored

Last edited: