E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone believe Catch Cans are "required" equipment on the Ecoboost engines? I have had a 3.5L Ecoboost for 8 years without a CC, but I have had the engine shudder issues in the past with it...but still never installed one. I did have to replace a turbo on it, but not sure if that is related or not...

Has anyone installed on an Ecoboost? Going to install again for your Bronco?

DYI project or wait for a complete kit to come out specifically for the Bronco?

I have read they are more important for Direct Injection engines, so this would apply to both the 2.3 and 2.7 engines in the Bronco.

Also, what are other Mods that are recommended for Ecoboost engines, for reliability and/or performance?
Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I think all 2.3 owners should install one because the 2.3 does not have port injection.

Someone posted images of the 2.7 engine bay the other day and installing a catch can on the 2.7 will be easy.

I ran a JLT on my 2013 Raptor and currently running one my 2019 Raptor. I am sure JLT will have an application for the Bronco.

There will be lots of debate on whether a catch can is needed as there are on many forums.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding on the 2.7 is it uses both direct and port injection, which reduces the carbon buildup issue. If I go 2.3 I will likely add a catch can. 2.7 seems more optional. I like the idea of a lighter front end , but also love my current 2.7. The torque and horsepower are just addictive!

OP
OP
VelocityBronco

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My understanding on the 2.7 is it uses both direct and port injection, which reduces the carbon buildup issue. If I go 2.3 I will likely add a catch can. 2.7 seems more optional. I like the idea of a lighter front end , but also love my current 2.7. The torque and horsepower are just addictive!
From what I understand, its not a carbon buildup issue, more of a oil getting sucked out of your crankcase and put into the intake manifold, than collects in the inter-cooler and intake valves, gunking them up.
Has anyone had the shudder happen to them with the 2.7? It was a well known issue for the 3.5 F-150 for a while.

Sponsored

Brocked

Wildtrak
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I used them on my 2011 5.0 when I had it. It worked. Drained the oil every other oil change or so. Never a lot, but worth the peace of mind. Ill be getting them again. Very easy to install, at least on the Mustang.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Someone posted images of the 2.7 engine bay the other day and installing a catch can on the 2.7 will be easy.
I've never touched a turbo motor before and I saw that picture. Not sure how it could be "easy" to fit more stuff under that hood. You could throw a fistful of small sockets in there and NONE OF THEM would fall to the ground!

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
a catch can is tiny. It is smaller than a can of mini coke. Trust me .. there is room and it is an easy install. It will take you less than 10 mins to install it ... at least the one from JLT for the 2.7

Going to take a pic of the one in my 2019 Raptor and show you .. brb

JLT Catch Can on 2019 Raptor. It comes with hoses and all the necessary fittings. It actually uses Ford OEM quick connect hoses so literally you twist and pull off. You don't need to cut any hoses as it comes with the correct size. I am sure they will make one for the Bronco in both engines:

Ford Bronco Oil Catch Can?? 1600183811205

I've never touched a turbo motor before and I saw that picture. Not sure how it could be "easy" to fit more stuff under that hood. You could throw a fistful of small sockets in there and NONE OF THEM would fall to the ground!

Last edited:

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

a catch can is tiny. It is smaller than a can of mini coke. Trust me .. there is room and it is an easy install. It will take you less than 10 mins to install it at least the one from JLT.
Good news then. I'm fairly capable. "Capable" defined by friend is vastly different than being defined by wife ("Maybe we should call <so and so> to do that.")

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think they're almost a requirement these days as most modern PCV systems are designed to dump any oil vapors collected back into the airstream to be burned off. This naturally coats your intake and valve train with oily goo. The manufacturers know all about it and that's why they offer those "upper end" cleaning services at the dealership. It's a money maker for them. The reason they don't install catch cans on anything but a handful of performance applications from the factory is that they don't trust the average customer to drain the things periodically.

Sponsored

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

To be honest brother, if you go with the 2.7L V6, you shouldn't have to install the catch can due to the addition of port injection. With the 2.3L I4, I would install one just to be safe as it can't hurt. it's just an additional step in your routine maintenance to empty the cans. That's just me though. I'm right there with you on the 1st gen 3.5 Ecoboost. My 2011 Lariat Ecoboost is at 170K miles and all I've ever had to do to get rid of the shudder on startup and heavy load is the 1/16th weep hole in the bottom driver's side corner of the intercooler and replace the spark plugs and coil packs. Runs like new again. I also added a custom 93 octane tune from 5startuning. My truck with flat out tear up some asphalt.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If catch cans are needed why do we not see it on any motor from the factory? ?‍♂

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not a technical expert, but my guess is emissions are the biggest issue, not servicing. This is part of the PCV system and the expectation is the oil/fuel is burned. There is probably evaporative emissions issues the cans run afoul of.

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Little more involved on the 2.3 due to placement of the PCV, but still pretty straight forward.

I’d assume this would be a similar install on the Bronco as it is on the Explorer.

JLT install on 2.3 Explorer
Sponsored