Sponsored

Oil change, factory 7.5 to 6 quarts, better MPG?

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Changed my oil around 2800 miles myself. Went with mobile 1 fully synthetic since it met the specifications and did my 16 year old F150 good the entire run.

After reading all the threads, decided to try just running the 6 quarts. After a few fill ups and closing in on 800 miles with the new oil, I'm getting a full mile per gallon more. Previously I was at 16 mpg flat (traffic, hilly area, not much interstate, few long runs without stop lights). Now I'm at 17 mpg with the same driving routes and driving style. Still occasionally use sport, but generally always in normal GOAT.

Anything thing the bronco could be a bit bogged down by running 7 instead of 6 or could the switch to fully synthetic account for that much of an improvement?
Sponsored

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First oil change? Engine past the break in period I would assume. Wife's ranger did the same thing after the first oil change. Would be my guess anyway as an at home mechanic.

Strykerwsu

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holden Commodores
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had to put in 6.75 as 6 was below the first dot. I let it drain for an hour while I put on the differential skid but didn’t feel comfortable running at 6.5. This whole oil fill amount is ?????????

Havent put on enough miles to see if any difference in mpg

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
2.7... 2 door OBX... all factory no mods..... 7,558 miles... always running 7 qts... 22.3 mpg hand calculate.... I don't think the amount of oil gets you more or less mileage....

Quitefrankly

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just after break in period you'll stabilize. Not really based off an immediate oil change at 1k miles - prolly wait till 2500 miles

Sponsored
OP
OP

Thiskers

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah maybe getting past the break-in period helped. Guess the fresh oil just helped gain efficiency back. Right before I changed the oil, I was still sinking down in mpg on my "trip 2" tests.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Watched a Engine Tech dyno show and they d take a qt out, do a dyno pull, take another qt out, do another pull and HP kept improving due to oil whip, less windage/friction on crank.

So gas mileage will likely increase due to less parasitic loss: until it doesn’t ….. think ceased up !!

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's the weight reduction from having less oil that gets you the extra mpg. Just wait until you spend $1000 on carbon fiber grab handles, you'll be putting prius's to shame ;)

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Watched a Engine Tech dyno show and they d take a qt out, do a dyno pull, take another qt out, do another pull and HP kept improving due to oil whip, less windage/friction on crank.

So gas mileage will likely increase due to less parasitic loss: until it doesn’t ….. think ceased up !!
This is definitely a thing. The rotating assembly churning through oil robs a surprising amount of power.
Sponsored