First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Best just to enter it on your Ford Pass account, then you and the rest of the Ford world has the same info. Go paperless!

Use Ford's Gold 172-pt checklist as a reminder and to record data in PDF; see attached. Pick and choose as needed; I typically only verify 15-20 items.
  • Oil/filter and tire rotation at 5,000 mi intervals (my choice)
  • Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic, 5w30, 3x5qt jugs, $72 (two oil changes)
  • Motorcraft oil filter, FL-2062-A, $9.45
  • UPR drain plug, 3025-02
  • Change oil/filter
  • Reset oil life monitor, p.355 of Owner's Manual
  • Recycle oil at closest auto parts store for free
  • Cost: $46 and 30-45 minutes (depending on drainage time)
    • spend your wait time doing other inspections
      • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses and parking brake, brake fluid level
      • Inspect engine cooling system level, strength and hoses
      • Inspect exhaust system and heat shields
      • Inspect half-shaft boots
      • Inspect rear axle and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings.
      • Inspect steering linkage, ball joints, suspension, tie-rod ends, drive shaft and U-joints. Lubricate if equipped with grease fittings
      • Inspect the automatic transmission fluid level
      • Inspect the wheels and related components
      • Inspect battery
      • Inspect interior and exterior lights
      • Inspect wiper blades
  • Rotate the tires, 5-tire rotation (my choice)
    • This is a big job given each Braptor tire assembly weighs about 100 lbs
    • Inspect tire wear
    • Measure tread depth and record
    • Check tire pressures
    • Torque lug nuts properly; Braptor: M14x1.5, 150 ft-lbs
Thanks for that. Just a little fyi, Ultra Platinum is not certified to Ford's specs (or Dexos 1 Gen 2). It's a fantastic oil and I use it in other vehicles but since it does not have Ford's cert I don't use it in the Bronco's or any DI engine. I even messaged Pennzoil and they recommended not using it, that I would be better off with regular Platinum.

Also, if you have a tall enough floor jack, you can use it to get the spare off the back.
Sponsored

Breptar

Raptor
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Man, I’m so discouraged from doing my own maintenance. I had a warranty issue with my spouses car due to not having “maintenance records”. I usually do her oil changes every 3-4k miles. I keep the receipts from the auto parts store of proof of oil and oil filter purchase, and keep a log in the back pages of the owners manual. In the log, I note the date of oil change, mileage at the time of oil change, type of oil and oil filter used, and an approximate mileage of when to do the next oil change. Long story short, her vehicle was making a funny noise. We took the vehicle to the dealer (we purchased the extended warranty at the time of purchase) for diagnosis. At first they thought it was something minor, but it turned out to be the turbo. When they discovered the turbo needed to be replaced, they asked me for my maintenance records. I gave them the story above and told them where in the car they can find my maintenance records, but they started telling me that there has to be a systematic log of maintenance records either done at a quick lube, mechanic shop, or the dealer. They ended up stating they wanted to pull the valve cover to see if there was sludge build up and take pictures to send to the manufacture for approval of the warranty claim. They advised that if there was sludge or the manufacturer denied the warranty claim, I’d have to pay the labor rate for removing the valve cover. I was pretty confident there wouldn’t be sludge because of how frequent I do the maintenance on the vehicle, but there was a small chance that they’d deny the claim for whatever reason. They ended up approving the warranty and replacing the turbo, but it discourages me from doing my own maintenance on future vehicles. For one, I don’t trust that the dealer, quick lube, mechanics will be as meticulous as I am. I’m the type of person that follows all manufacturers specs when doing something. It’s the way I’ve always been, and I doubt someone will take as much care of a vehicle as the owner. With that said, when my braptor comes, I’ll be purchasing a maintenance plan to avoid any issues with warranty claims.
Sponsored