First Name
Antoni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, VW
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just finishing up my 2nd oil change at 6,000 mi on a 2.7 and ran into a problem. When replacing the oil filter and housing, when attempting to thread it on by hand it started out extremely tight. I stopped immediately, backed the plastic housing off and found that a sliver of the starting thread on the housing broke off. I was able to fish the full piece out of the well and waiting to order a new one. A few thoughts: the start of the thread (first inch plus) is much thinner than the rest of the threads, and the piece that broke off seems very brittle. Not sure if it was defective to start with or if they are all manufactured that way. Additionally, I placed the paper filter in the well first to secure its location and then placed the housing on top to screw it in place. Should I have placed the filter in the plastic housing first? Not sure it would have made a difference.

Either way, something felt wrong, I stopped to find the problem. I could have easily kept cranking it on and probably broke the plastic into many pieces that may have gotten pulled into the engine.

Side note: Ronin Oil plug is awesome. 100% worth the money.

InkedOil Filter Housing final.jpg
Sponsored

ELKS1

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F150 1977 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just finishing up my 2nd oil change at 6,000 mi on a 2.7 and ran into a problem. When replacing the oil filter and housing, when attempting to thread it on by hand it started out extremely tight. I stopped immediately, backed the plastic housing off and found that a sliver of the starting thread on the housing broke off. I was able to fish the full piece out of the well and waiting to order a new one. A few thoughts: the start of the thread (first inch plus) is much thinner than the rest of the threads, and the piece that broke off seems very brittle. Not sure if it was defective to start with or if they are all manufactured that way. Additionally, I placed the paper filter in the well first to secure its location and then placed the housing on top to screw it in place. Should I have placed the filter in the plastic housing first? Not sure it would have made a difference.

Either way, something felt wrong, I stopped to find the problem. I could have easily kept cranking it on and probably broke the plastic into many pieces that may have gotten pulled into the engine.

Side note: Ronin Oil plug is awesome. 100% worth the money.

Ford Bronco Oil Change Warning InkedOil Filter Housing final
Do you have a pic of the Ronin plug installed ? I have one for mine but ha e not changed the oil yet.

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Big Bend
First Name
Antoni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, VW
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Installed new filter housing today. Started to thread it on with the filter in the housing and ran into the same problem of it getting tight immediately. After several attempts, I noticed that a braided hose runs along the base of where the filter housing screws in. The hose caused just enough interference to not allow the threads to screw in straight. If you push it out of the way, while replacing the housing everything worked fine. Back to fun in the bronco.
Sponsored