Sponsored

Oil temp gauge not water temp up to 234 degrees?

SS Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco , F600, F5, LJ20
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Running in sand definitely heats up the motor oil and transmission fluid. 234 is not terrible, I am sure it dropped fast. Ran 1000’s of miles in sand in hot Baja weather , make sure you have oil and change it regularly. A little day trip , with spikes at those temps you will be fine.
Sponsored

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
It’s completely normal for oil temperatures to be higher than coolant.

230-260 is normal operating oil temperature for most vehicles.
😬 ehh not really for a water cooled vehicle. Can it run, yes, it’ll just degrade your oils lubricity making your oil change intervals shorter on your mileage especially running 5w-30. Now if you’re running a different oil like 5w-50 or something that can take the heat then yeah run that temp all day. I would say he needs to run a hose through the oil cooler that’s down below behind the front skid plate.

Carl Sagan

Wildtrak
First Name
Brando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco WIldtrak HOSS 3.0
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I run full synthetic oil. My highest temp I have seen is 212 and that is pushing it up the grapevine at 10psi boost climbing up the 7% grade for miles. 230 isn't an issue but higher than what I have experienced.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

😬 ehh not really for a water cooled vehicle. Can it run, yes, it’ll just degrade your oils lubricity making your oil change intervals shorter on your mileage especially running 5w-30. Now if you’re running a different oil like 5w-50 or something that can take the heat then yeah run that temp all day. I would say he needs to run a hose through the oil cooler that’s down below behind the front skid plate.
Yes, like I said, almost every water cooled vehicle on the road right now has a normal operating oil temperature of 230-260. A simple google search will show you that. Oil doesn’t start to break down until 275+

It’s very important that a vehicles oil temperature gets up near operating temperature, or at least around 220 so it can properly boil off any moisture and water vapors in the oil. This is exactly why short trips and not properly getting the vehicle up to temperature are one of the worst things for an engine.

Last edited:

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yes, like I said, almost every water cooled vehicle on the road right now has a normal operating oil temperature of 230-260. A simple google search will show you that. Oil doesn’t start to break down until 275+

It’s very important that a vehicles oil temperature gets up near operating temperature, or at least around 220 so it can properly boil off any moisture and water vapors in the oil. This is exactly why short trips and not properly getting the vehicle up to temperature are one of the worst things for an engine.
I take it the motor trend article popped up for you? I guess I’m alittle old school I forget these full synthetic oils with stand higher heat ranges.. OP you should be good with those oil temps.. disregard my statements

Sponsored

Brnzbronc

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I feel like this thread will snowball into what oil is better argument 😂

OP
OP

broncodawg77

Wildtrak
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
77 and 22 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Reached service manager at my dealer this afternoon and oil temp can run up to 260 no problem.
Oil will run far hotter than coolant and not a problem either.

skidsteer

Base
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT crew w/2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Replies revealed to me was looking at oil temp gauge, not water, so all is well!
My 2022 bronco with 2.7 liter engine got up to 234 degrees other day climbing a sandy wash.

A service manager at Ford said 230 is okay, but that scares me! I know todays engines are designed to run hotter, but I parked until it cooled down some just the same. The fans were running, but would it have overheated if I kept going?

It was only 75 degrees out so what happens this summer at 100?
I was manually shifting to keep the rpms little higher in hopes of better cooling, but didnt seem to matter.
Would hope that when the fans kicked on there would be a noticeable drop in temp, but didnt see any until stopped and idling in park?

Anyone else encounter these temperatures and any thoughts appreciated? Thanks
My personal opinion (directed to Ford heirarchy, primarily) is that idiot warning light(s)/psuedo 'gauges'= bad. Real, Denso/Stewart-Warner, et al 'real' gauges= good.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Okay, a good summation of the great posts..
First, make sure that radiator and surrounding area is clean.. Need air flow..
Second, a synthetic oil is a must.. The turbo (s) need synthetics and all the mechanics seem to agree..
Third, a heavier oil.. If you don’t have lower outdoor temperatures start running something synthetic and in higher range.. 10w40 range. Or greater..
Fourth, clean oil.. Dirty oil holds more heat and “works” on the bearings.. Either change your oil a lot or get some oil bypass filtration going.. That’s keeps the oil cleaner as you go and adds some cooling along the way..
And finally the air cleaner.. Check it, change it out for a K&N drop in ..
and if all that fails…Have the tech going after the thermostat (where ever that is ) 🤓

Sponsored

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tesla Plaid X 22 Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Replies revealed to me was looking at oil temp gauge, not water, so all is well!
My 2022 bronco with 2.7 liter engine got up to 234 degrees other day climbing a sandy wash.

A service manager at Ford said 230 is okay, but that scares me! I know todays engines are designed to run hotter, but I parked until it cooled down some just the same. The fans were running, but would it have overheated if I kept going?

It was only 75 degrees out so what happens this summer at 100?
I was manually shifting to keep the rpms little higher in hopes of better cooling, but didnt seem to matter.
Would hope that when the fans kicked on there would be a noticeable drop in temp, but didnt see any until stopped and idling in park?

Anyone else encounter these temperatures and any thoughts appreciated? Thanks
I live in Arizona and off-road during summer and have experienced those temps. I did install an oil cooler, and that helped with higher temps.

sandwitch.jpg

Mish.lines.jpg

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tesla Plaid X 22 Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also, are you running an oil higher than 5W30?
No, I always have my oil changed at the dealership. They always use the Motorcraft 5W30. During the summer, when I am running hard, I get my oil changed 3-5K. I got an oil change package from FMC, I think it was 10 of them.

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No, I always have my oil changed at the dealership. They always use the Motorcraft 5W30. During the summer, when I am running hard, I get my oil changed 3-5K. I got an oil change package from FMC, I think it was 10 of them.
So what does your Ford Dealer think of your “oil cooler”. Do they replace that filter?
Sponsored