John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

lots of agony about making this change - so I figured might as well rip off the bandaid - worst comes to worst I trade in a few years.

I am no speed demon - had (very) fast cars before and never fully used them. My favorite truck I had was the LR3 with the smaller 6 cyl engine - and it did just fine for me. So I figure with my driving style and use 4 cyl is just fine.

Just wanted to share and thank everyone for the help on this forum. Hopefully my post helps someone else make up their mind.
Sponsored

lenitech

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco, 2021 Base Sasquatch (AMB)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Been thinking about doing this myself. I test drove the 2.7 F150, 2.3 Ranger, and 2.3 Explorer. My impressions of the 2.7 was that it is completely un-necessary. The 2.3 is way more fun than my current 5.4L V8. I've put everything in a spreadsheet to compare torque to the wheels and with the gearing of Sasquatch, tire size, and engine torque the 2.3 will probably be even more fun in the Bronco than in the Ranger or Explorer.

OP
OP
Broncolli

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Been thinking about doing this myself. I test drove the 2.7 F150, 2.3 Ranger, and 2.3 Explorer. My impressions of the 2.7 was that it is completely un-necessary. The 2.3 is way more fun than my current 5.4L V8. I've put everything in a spreadsheet to compare torque to the wheels and with the gearing of Sasquatch, tire size, and engine torque the 2.3 will probably be even more fun in the Bronco than in the Ranger or Explorer.
that's reassuring. I am the type of guy that in a truck, I take off slowly from the stoplights, I like to see who will be running the red's and hitting me. So I am cautious. And if I am speeding away at every light, then who will be looking at my truck?

now get me in a fast car - I will speed away, the wife will be complaining and kids getting car sick. The peace and quiet of the Bronco are better - learned by experience.

KAQ

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Subaru Crosstreck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just got my mom a 2.0L Edge and that that thing can move. With the Bronco only being 5-800lbs more I have no doubt the 2.3L will be just fine for me.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There's definitely good reasons to upgrade; retain value down the road, need for torque, off roading, etc. Each case is specific.

That said I feel a lot of options are added out of want, not need. For most a 2.3, non SAS is fine and more then most will ever push. Not saying you shouldn't do it, if you have the coin and want the feature or look go for it.

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am definitely in the "less-is-more" camp. No 2.7L or Sasquatch for me. In fact, I'm starting with a 4dr base 2.3L so I can upgrade as I see fit once I'm driving it. I never really considered the 2.7L, I just figured the extra cost/complexity/weight wasn't worth it. I currently drive a 184hp Mazda6 and never felt like I needed more power. A bit more torque? Perhaps...but power is fine. And the power/weight ratios on the bronco are much better so I am confident the 2.3L will be fine.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Isn’t the manual crawl gear gonna give you all the torque you’d need?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I've put everything in a spreadsheet to compare torque to the wheels and with the gearing of Sasquatch, tire size, and engine torque the 2.3 will probably be even more fun in the Bronco than in the Ranger or Explorer.
As somebody with about 6,000 miles driving a '19 Ranger (out of it's 17K life so far), this seems like a very wise and astute statement.

Ranger's biggest failing in terms of driving enjoyment is the transmission. Bronco solves that.

There's definitely good reasons to upgrade; retain value down the road, need for torque, off roading, etc. Each case is specific.
The great equalizer: three pedals. If a buyer wants a manual, they will pay more for it in the used market at this point as Manuals are nearly dead in the US market.

Isn’t the manual crawl gear gonna give you all the torque you’d need?
Bronco in crawler gear only puts down a traction-limited thousand FT LB or so. One would think you would need more, right? Burnouts are mandatory based on what i've read on Bronco6G. Even better if you leave skid marks on a dusty trail instead of just in your trousers.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I got the 2.7. It’s. 4 door Badlands with armor underneath. Maybe I don’t need all that engine but I thought better safe than sorry. And this is my first ever manly man vehicle. I just wanted it. Ain’t getting any younger, just fatter, and wanted the vroom before we’re all driving electric golf carts.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You will be happy with the 2.3. I have driven it in my sons Ranger and in a 35" tired "vehicle" with the auto and it was completely adequate. I ordered the 2.7 (have had them in my last two F150s), but will have no hesitation to go 2.3 if it means months of delay. Enjoy!

Sponsored

MrJoe

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Bronco (sold), '99 Ram, '08 Explorer, '16 CMax
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm also in the 2.3 camp. If 140hp was good enough in my eb the 4 banger will do just fine. I plan on keeping it until the end so resale doesn't affect me. Less weight, space and moving parts is icing on the cake.
Sponsored