Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Getting the manual.

Would I consider getting the V6?.....sure, if was paired with the manual.
Yeah, I'll take the biggest motor Ford will pair with the Manual. If Ford somehow sees reason and the MY22 B&P allows you to get the 2.7 with the stick I will happilly throw more money at Ford.
Sponsored

BaseSquatch

Base
First Name
@NotOJsBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ll just leave this here.

2.3L Reviews

“The smaller engine might not have the horsepower of the V6, but it’s lighter and definitely changes the feel of the truck. Making it even more agile.”
-Kelley Blue Book

“The 2.3 L engine is more than enough to keep pace with traffic, even in Eco mode and even with light throttle applications.”
-Ars Technica

“Our on-road time was spent behind the wheel of a 2.3-liter, four-door Outer Banks model with the 10-speed automatic, and we were struck by how effortless it is to drive. Even in the 4,600-pound four-door model, the little four-pot feels strong and accelerates effortlessly. It even sounds pretty good when you really get on it.”
-AutoBlog

“We only had a chance to experience the 2.7-liter EcoBoost out on the road, though the 2.3-liter felt more than adequate for off-road duties.”
-CarBuzz

“I didn't get the chance to drive the I4 on the street, but thanks in part to smart gearing, the smaller engine offered plenty of oomph on the trails.”
-CNet

“The 2.3L four-cylinder engine and 2.7L V6 both generate good torque, thanks to the combination of turbocharging, wide gear ratios and low ranges for scrambling.”
-Detroit Free Press

“The standard turbocharged 2.3-liter four-cylinder engine (300 horsepower and 325 lb-ft of torque with premium fuel) provides sufficient acceleration whether it's combined with the standard seven-speed manual or the optional 10-speed automatic. The larger and optional turbocharged 2.7-liter V6 (330 hp and 415 lb-ft of torque with premium fuel) makes a satisfying improvement but isn't a necessity.”
-Edmunds

“The four cylinder engine offers more than enough power and torque for on and off-road driving.”
-Forbes

“Off-road-specific hardware aside, the 2.3-liter four-cylinder in our Badlands performed far better with the 10-speed automatic than the available manual gearbox. Naturally, moving off the line was a smoother experience. But the way the gearbox behaved in the different GOAT driving modes (there are seven on the Badlands, but we spent most of our time in Rock Crawl) and how it handled throttle inputs gave us much more confidence on the trail. As for power, the base engine was barely an issue on the toughest obstacles, thanks to its ample low-end torque.”
-Motor1

“While the extra V6 power is always welcome, I did not feel the four-cylinder really lacking in power for regular driving on busy city streets or on the interstate.”
-TFL Car

“There's quite a bit of torque on tap, even with the four-cylinder, so you really don't need to touch the throttle when taking off on a flat road. That part made stop-and-go traffic pleasant.”
-The Drive

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm driving myself nuts trying to decide between the manual or the 2.7.
These YouTube reviews are a mixed bag and don't help at all.

Some say the 2.3 is underpowered while others say it has adequate power.
What are you guys planning on purchasing?

Also, when will Ford release info on the 2022 model year?
I went back forth. I could have done fine with either. In the end my choice was made by the graphite compose and port injection of the 2.7 vs the aluminum and direct injection of the the 2.3. So here’s to my new 2.7 Bronco ( whenever it may get built.

Berwolf

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pull up collar is how Ford has done it for decades. Dad's 56 T-Bird, pull up. My 65 Mustang, Pull up. 95 Contour, Pull-up.

Sister had a VW, and I think you shoved the whole thing down or something. Weirdly unnatural.
Haha, you can tell how many Ford's I have owned.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If a manual transmission wasn’t offered on the Bronco, I’d be shopping for a different vehicle. That being said, I’m crossing my fingers that they’ll offer the 2.7 with the manual in ‘22 or ‘23 (probably won’t happen, but I can wish).
I'm right there with you! 2.7L/MT is what FoMoCo should have offered for the start.

I was all in on the manual until I saw that the auto effectively has cutting brakes in sand. That right there is worth the price of admission.
TTA is currently only available with the AT because FoMoCo Chose To Only Offer It With The AT. It could EASILY be done on MT's as it's a Brake Function and not a Transmission Function.

IMHO, it was just another way for FoMoCo to deliberately sell less MTs....

Come On FoMoCo, give All of the features possible to Both Transmissions!!!!

Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This website will be 60/40. Real world will be 90/10
While you may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be lunatics who are willing to wait for the perfect vehicle.

We won't really know until next year when squatch is allowed to be paired with a manual... that is why I am not in a 21 right now.

You have me thinking though.... since everyone who will own a 21 or 22 Bronco has to wait (no impulse buys of an auto right off the lot), the Bronco may provide the most accurate data of manual v auto preference of any off-road vehicle In recent history.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I never even read the spec of the 2.3, not interested in manual anymore. I'm currently on vacation in Austria, driving a stick. Great fun on the winding mountain roads. But I know it's zero fun in stop and go traffic and on long drives on the freeway it pretty much makes no difference.
For what I'll mostly do with the Bronco, regular driving with lots of traffic, I'd hate a manual, been there, done that. So I'll go with what will make those 90+% of my driving more enjoyable, the 10 speed. I live far away from any trails.
Who knows what I'd decide in a different situation, though I'd probably still do the same.
Most of my cars were manual, my current Taco is my first automatic. But I've also had it for close to 18 years.
I'm also getting a BL, with all that added weight that bit of extra power and torque will be good to have.

Last edited:

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I never even read the spec of the 2.3, not interested in manual anymore. I'm currently on vacation in Austria, driving a stick. Great fun on the winding mountain roads. But I know it's zero fun in stop and go traffic and on long drives on the freeway it pretty much makes no difference.
For what I'll mostly do with the Bronco, regular driving with lots of traffic, I'd hate a manual, been there, done that. So I'll go with what will make those 90+% of my driving more enjoyable, the 10 speed. I live far away from any trails.
Who knows what I'd decide in a different situation, though I'd probably still do the same.
Most of my cars were manual, my current Taco is my first automatic. But I've also had it for close to 18 years.
If I were living the commute life again, I might rethink my choice for MT, although crawler gear might be nice for that.

Since I am not, it was really a MT all the way. If I could have gotten the squatch with manual, I would have. If I could have gotten the 2.7 with MT, I would have. Since I couldn't, the 2.3 with 300 HP and plenty of torque will meet my needs nicely paired with the MT.

For me, this will be a fun car, and the MT enhances the fun for me. The connected driving experience, rowing gears, top off, doors off...cruising and playing. That is how I made my decision.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have watched dozens - if not hundreds by now - of videos and read everything I could find and have yet to see anything stating that the 2.3 was 'underpowered' . . . I believe, after driving my son's Ranger several thousand miles over the last year, that the 2.3 is an excellent choice. If I was not all in on the Wildtrak I would have saved a few $$ and gone with the 2.3 auto. That engine/transmission is perfect in the Ranger and I can not imagine it'll be any different in the Bronco. When I went to see them in person I spoke primarily to reps about the different engines and they all said the 2.7 was definitely 'more' but also that the 2.3 was kind of 'just right' . . . and 100% NOT underpowered . . .

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm driving myself nuts trying to decide between the manual or the 2.7.
These YouTube reviews are a mixed bag and don't help at all.

Some say the 2.3 is underpowered while others say it has adequate power.
What are you guys planning on purchasing?

Also, when will Ford release info on the 2022 model year?
Did you see my write-up on the 2.3 manual (link below)? I drove both a 2.3 manual and a 2.7 auto at the Off-Roadeo.

If you're still up in the air, put your order in for whatever, have your dealer "99" it, then go to the Off-Roadeo and test drive both. When you get back make your decision then "un-99" your order.

Review: I drove a manual at the Off-Roadeo | Bronco6G - 2021+ Ford Bronco Forum, News, Blog & Owners Community

Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I'll take the biggest motor Ford will pair with the Manual. If Ford somehow sees reason and the MY22 B&P allows you to get the 2.7 with the stick I will happilly throw more money at Ford.

The manual is only rated to 406ft lbs, that's less than the v6 makes on premium fuel.

Also, I've read that the manual trans is a one piece casting that includes the bellhousing. Since the 2.3 and 2.7 are different where they mate to the trans, they would need a compete new casting for the trans.

I also agree with the person who posted the above info about the bellhousing in a different thread... once the enthusiasts get their manuals, the take rate will be pretty low for the general public. There is not much incentive for Ford to offer that combo.

AaronS

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I currently have a 2.7L 4dr BL non-sas on order. I chose the 2.7 for the additional HP/TQ, to complete the hero switches, and remote start (winters suck). I have recently started contemplating the 2.3L MT for the fun factor and cost savings. I have never went off-road before but plan to do some easy trails after I get my Bronco (will do harder trails later). I also plan to road trip more often after getting the Bronco. I am coming from a F150 with the 5.0 and a Mustang GT 5.0 MT (not sure if this one is leaving the stable yet). Hopefully there are more owner reviews of the 2.3 MT before mine gets selected to build. I was a day 1 res but opted for the October granger deal.

SVTLightning

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered the manual because I’m cheap, I think 300hp out of the 2.3L is more than enough to be happy day to day.
Seeing as you claim to be cheap, you won’t be getting the 300hp as I doubt you’ll spring for premium gas!

BadSquatch21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover and Porsches; '22 Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Manual with software when available. Plenty of power when remapped.

Winkydee

Badlands
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Econoline Cargo Van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Put it in 2wd, 1st gear, crank the wheel, get wheels spinning and it will work like the trail turn assist.
I was thinking this the whole time! I've been pulling off this move in plenty o vehicles over the years. I look forward to testing this theory under the weight of a 2 door Badlands.
Sponsored