2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, you're going to save even more time if you get the proper deflator, whether that be ARB, coyote, staun etc.. They're not that expensive and well worth it.

In my case, a lot of times, I'm airing up/down 6 tires that range from 33" AT to 35" MT. So the more time I can save airing down and back up, multiple times on a trip, the quicker I can get back on the road.
Sponsored

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also, you're going to save even more time if you get the proper deflator, whether that be ARB, coyote, staun etc.. They're not that expensive and well worth it.

In my case, a lot of times, I'm airing up/down 6 tires that range from 33" AT to 35" MT. So the more time I can save airing down and back up, multiple times on a trip, the quicker I can get back on the road.
What are you using. I have the ARB EZ Deflater itā€™s really quick. The first few times I used it I didnā€™t realize I wasnā€™t taking the valve stem out completely and I wasnā€™t getting those super fast times.

Now I make sure I give it a few more spins before I start.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a portable one from the hardware store a while ago. It's small, has a digital screen, shuts off when it hits the set limit. It comes in a nice case, hasn't overheated at all yet. Pumps the tires from sub 20psi back to 35 in about 2-3 mins per tire. In the Bronco it'll probably store under the back set. Strapped in. Or even in the cubby in the back.
Ford Bronco On Board Air? Power tank verses ARB twin compressor. Opinions Please 20210401_162100

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Throwing gas in the fire... I got a Milwaukee Max 18V cordless air compressor for a unique job.
The thing is an air pumping superstar, and it is q u i e t. I bring other Milwaukee cordless tools with me so they share the same battery. It has a small air tank that can be charged at home.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are you using. I have the ARB EZ Deflater itā€™s really quick. The first few times I used it I didnā€™t realize I wasnā€™t taking the valve stem out completely and I wasnā€™t getting those super fast times.

Now I make sure I give it a few more spins before I start.
I used to use the ARB EZ Deflator (still bring it as backup though). I now use Coyote deflators and have a set of 4 for vehicle and a set of 2 for my trailer. All are preset, just screw them on and by the time I screw on the last deflator, the first one is close to finishing up. If I need to take them much lower, then I could break out my ARB deflator if needed.

Sponsored

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to use the ARB EZ Deflator (still bring it as backup though). I now use Coyote deflators and have a set of 4 for vehicle and a set of 2 for my trailer. All are preset, just screw them on and by the time I screw on the last deflator, the first one is close to finishing up. If I need to take them much lower, then I could break out my ARB deflator if needed.
Man those are awesome. Thanks for the tip. Iā€™m gonna get a set as soon as I can!

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm going the way of the PowerTank, but also *not* going the way of the Powertrank. Going to run a DIY setup using a brand-new DOT-spec 10# tank bought from a homebrew supplier, and a regulator from Preece Performance. All told, including the mounting bracket, I have just under $300 in it.

Every use case is different, obviously, but for me, it was hard to beat the bang for the buck with this. I'm also lucky enough to have close access to a number of filling stations and even a hydrostatic testing center (plan on doing that every 5/10 years, depending on your cylinder), so those concerns were mitigated.

For how frequently I plan on wheeling, it should be more than sufficient for my needs.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Throwing gas in the fire... I got a Milwaukee Max 18V cordless air compressor for a unique job.
The thing is an air pumping superstar, and it is q u i e t. I bring other Milwaukee cordless tools with me so they share the same battery. It has a small air tank that can be charged at home.
Food for thought, since he breaks the darn thing apart.... I know you went 18v (YEA!), but it gives some insight into what Big Red has been up to on the altar of sales...

Language can be NSFW!

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Food for thought, since he breaks the darn thing apart.... I know you went 18v (YEA!), but it gives some insight into what Big Red has been up to on the altar of sales...

Language can be NSFW!
His language can also be completely made up nonsense. :D

I love his reviews.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going the way of the PowerTank, but also *not* going the way of the Powertrank. Going to run a DIY setup using a brand-new DOT-spec 10# tank bought from a homebrew supplier, and a regulator from Preece Performance. All told, including the mounting bracket, I have just under $300 in it.

Every use case is different, obviously, but for me, it was hard to beat the bang for the buck with this. I'm also lucky enough to have close access to a number of filling stations and even a hydrostatic testing center (plan on doing that every 5/10 years, depending on your cylinder), so those concerns were mitigated.

For how frequently I plan on wheeling, it should be more than sufficient for my needs.
Thatā€™s fine if your air/gas suppliers refill tanks vs just swap them out. I know when I lived in FL and used Airgas for co2, they would just swap them out and bye bye pretty tank.

Sponsored

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thatā€™s fine if your air/gas suppliers refill tanks vs just swap them out. I know when I lived in FL and used Airgas for co2, they would just swap them out and bye bye pretty tank.
I don't deal with larger chains if I can help it, as experience has shown they're often more privy to CYA policies like that.

Fortunately, plenty of independent welding supply shops and other industrial gas suppliers around me that'll simply refill. But, as noted, well aware my use case (like any) isn't a one-size fits all; research on OP's part is required.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Typically your local welding supply retailer will fill tanks or give you an in with their supplier as they are already getting a variety of gas mixes made regularly.

Central Welding has never let me down in the past!

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Language can be NSFW!
To clarify - the device in the image appears to be the M12 inflator (i.e. no tank, no reserve, cannot run air tools.) The M18 air compressor is a totally different animal.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anyone have experience with either of these.
Most of my off-roading has been on beaches, starting as a kid in the 1950's. I'll speak theoretically. Portable tanks were popular in that era on Cape Cod, we used one, for price and simplicity. Some of the International Travelalls & work trocks had installed belt-driven air pumps, admired by all. I don't think an electric-powered air pump was available.

In 1989 I bought my first full size bronco, and bought a cigarette lighter accessory powered air pump for beach driving. It was slow, 5+ min per tire (15# to 32#) and got hot. Dont buy one! A decade ago, i bought a larger "Superflow" electric pump powered by alligator clips to the battery (photo). Much better, it takes my F150 275/65R18 tires from 18# to 35# (Delaware) or 20# to 35# (Hatteras) in a few minutes, although its hot at the end.

The downside is its annoying to store the pump and the tubing, and get them out again. And a good 20' hose that screws on the valve is essential. Also, due to amperage draw, the pump will work better if you keep the engine running.

However, while this unit has an pressure monitoring dial, i still have to watch it and shut off manually. The ARB unit will shut off at a certain pressure, it says, which is why i may install one in my new Bronco. The issue is price: $100-200 for a portable pump, or $800-1,000 for an installed unit.

Finally, airing-down requires tools (photo) as well. I bought $25 deflaters at a Delaware tackle shop. Others have favorites!They are adjustable to a certain pressure with an Allen wrench, and screw on the valve. No one wants to kneel down next to a tire for several minutes with a random pointy object and let out air. But i have.

Also, you can't have too many tire pressure gauges (photo). They break, stop working, and resurrect themselves at the oddest times. Some have a nice point, which is great to give to a five year old (me in the 1950's) to start the air down process.

20210413_073320.jpg

20210413_073349.jpg

20210413_073248.jpg

Raskew

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco, 2018 Stinger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just spent just a tad under $300 ordering a 20lb tank (comes with a handle) and all the individual parts to make my own DIY version of the PowerTank (25-ft hose, regulator, connections, mounting solution, air chuck, etc.). Wonā€™t look quite as cool but itā€™s a fair amount cheaper than the name brand products. I think the 20lb PowerTank runs about $750.

I personally prefer the simplicity, reliability, and speed of a tank solution but fully acknowledge the negatives such as the space and hardware required to securely carry it and the cost of occasionally refilling it. A portable tank does make it a bit easier to help others on the trail but thatā€™s a double-edged sword in that you risk being the guy with all the free, fast air!

For what itā€™s worth, a rare and unlikely scenario where speed might really matter is when something bad has happened on the trail and you need to recover yourself (or someone else) as quickly as possible (to get emergency help, for example). Just saying.

We can probably all agree that this is one of those topics that has no one, right answer. It depends on your priorities (simplicity, reliability, space, time, convenience, etc.) and pocketbook.

+1 to all those saying have a backup on hand. It will be slow(er) but itā€™s better than being stranded!
We should talk about this how it relates to actual specs and specific to the Bronco-sized tires.

The Bronco has four load range C tires, with a max size of 35" (stock Sasquatch). It takes the Viair 2 minutes and 45 seconds to go from 15 psi to 30 psi with a 35" tire. Let's say everyone with a Sasquatch will inflate all four tires in 12 minutes, 3 minutes a tire because you have to take the hose to each tire. Every other Bronco, without Sasquatch, will take less time.

Compressor
Fill rates, from 15psi to 30 psi
31" tires - 1:35 (6:20 for four tires)
33" tires - 2:05 (8:20 for four tires)
35" tires - 2:45 (11:00 for four tires)

If you have a compressor with onboard air tank, it takes less time.

With the PowerTank it takes about 30 seconds per tire, with the same 15 seconds to move from tire to tire. So, for a stock Bronco, you save about a minute a tire with a PowerTank. For the Badlands you save 1:30 per tire, and 2:15 for the Sasquatch. You save 4 - 9 minutes, depending on trim. You're right, there's no comparison (seriously), but I spend that time getting water for me, my g/f and the dog so it's not a race to fill up anyway. YMMV.
Just curious, what is the back up plan if you underestimate the amount of air left in your tank and you run out before airing up all your tires?
Sponsored