First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've wheeled with guys that had PowerTanks. They were pretty cool, but it was kind of a pain to get them filled. Not every place wanted to fill them and it cost money each time. So, it was expensive to buy and cost money every couple weeks or month.

I've run a couple of compressors, cheap, moderately priced and moderately expensive. I run a Viair 400 or 450, can't remember exactly. With 31" - 35" tires, it's pretty well sized. It takes a little while to fill tires, but it does when you're at the gas station running off of their ginormous compressor or tanks. So, it takes seven minutes instead of five and a half. That extra minute or two is spent making sure I've got things tied down, or having a bottle of water while talking to a friend. The time it takes filling the tires isn't wasted time, but time spent as part of the overall experience.

I really like my Viair. It's the best compressor I've owned. Also, I don't think I'd pay more than I did for the Viair, so if ARB is more dollars, I'd pass, even if it had twice the speed/volume. Having your tires aired up faster isn't a "thing" for me, so I wouldn't pay more than it costs to buy a Viair.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Speed isn't an issue for me either.
I've had a ton of cool conversations while airing up my tires. It's part of the day and gives you a chance to wind down before you really call it quits and head home, to the campsite, hotel etc.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread got me looking at options some more this morning, and I found a deal currently available.

The Viair 450P Automatic is currently on sale for $245 (normally $300), which makes it cheaper than the 400P.

Do your research before buying obviously, but from what I have found Viair compressors are well regarded - basically a mid-grade alternative to ARB. For someone like myself that will just be getting into off-roading with the Bronco, this is a good option.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps and a Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This thread got me looking at options some more this morning, and I found a deal currently available.

The Viair 450P Automatic is currently on sale for $245 (normally $300), which makes it cheaper than the 400P.

Do your research before buying obviously, but from what I have found Viair compressors are well regarded - basically a mid-grade alternative to ARB. For someone like myself that will just be getting into off-roading with the Bronco, this is a good option.
That's a really good deal. I've had good luck with Viair myself. The worst that has happened with my 400P is that the zipper on the bag is giving out after 8 years of abuse.

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

awall987

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJ, '23 2dr BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Interested in learning a bit as I plan to start wheeling once I get the Bronco. I have zero experience airing up & down and am trying to learn about the requirements of a compressor and when to air down for rocks, sand, lumpy trail or mud.

Have to keep an eye on this thread for compressor solutions, prefer a standalone vs a built in solution for my occasional needs. Once addicted to wheeling that may change:)

If someone can tell me when its appropriate to air down and to what psi? That would be awesome. Thx
My first times out I always tried to avoid airing down thinking it was just a hassle, then once you do it you realize home much more traction you have and if nothing else a smoother ride. So honestly, just expect to air down every time, you'll be glad you did.

As for psi you'll get numbers all over the place. On my FJ I somehow settled at 18 psi being a good setting for overall use; not too low to blow a bead, good for all the typical SoCal terrain and could still do the street driving between trails. But it all depends on the vehicle, tires, preference, etc.

Sponsored

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for the suggestion and link. I just clicked the link, added it to my Amazon cart, set it as save for later and there it will wait as an option for when the Bronco gets delivered.

az_dirt

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bad Sas AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The stock inverter is too small. From other posts on the forum it looks to be 150 watts
Sounds about right. Can charge a cell phone but not for pulling amps. Probably first fuse to go when hair dryers and air compressors get plugged in.

KyTruckPlant

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Mustang, 05 F150, 08 Expedition EL, 21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As I was looking at the pros and cons of each, I came across this and decided I will go with a sort of combination of the 2. Onboard air compressor, but with a backup air tank for setting beads (IF the need arises). A fire extinguisher converted into a small air tank.

Tech Tim

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Both options work well and both have their limitations. Both of them can fill tires, run power tools and can help reseat a tire bead.

The Power Tank has proven to be a good solid performer and the quality is solid. Just make sure to keep it filled. I have been on a few trail rides over the years where someone has forgotten to fill their tank and they are either out to start with or run out part way through.

The ARB twin compressor also has a proven track record and their quality is also very good.

The biggest plus of the ARB Twin Compressor is that you don't run out of air. As long as it is running, it is filling tires. (BTW- They call it the Twin because it is two of the medium compressors put together).

Price-wise, they are fairly similar in pricing with the edge going to Power Tank. $750-ish for a fully-loaded Power Tank and $950-ish for a fully loaded ARB Twin with auxiliary air tank.

Power Tank - 15lb - Power tool kit/Air up kit/Mounting bracket:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...owertank-bts-edition-15lb-air-tank-candy-blue

ARB Twin Compressor:https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...or-w-mount-tire-pump-and-arb-manifold-package
ARB Aux Air Tank: https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/tanks/171601-arb-forged-1-gallon-air-tank

I've heard through the Grapevine that ARB has a twin compressor mounting bracket for the Bronco. Haven't heard an ETA yet. Also heard that Grimm Offroad has a bracket on their docket. Again not ETA yet (their JL/JT bracket is sweet).

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

interesting info, it'll be a while before I need to have on board air, but good stuff to know. Also somebody is making some serious money here if a tank filled with air/gas is over $700 and a little compressor even more. Or maybe there's some serious tech behind this, but wow, not prices I expected to see. I might just come off a trail and drive slowly to the next gas station with air.

So much stuff to learn, love this forum!
Sponsored