First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thats not apples to apples. I’ll show you the difference between those 2 compressors though.
I sure hope it's not apples to apples, for the price difference, that's a lot of apples.
Sponsored

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it takes 80 minutes, I think you're using the wrong compressor. I run E-rated tires and it takes several minutes per tire, maybe. A Viair OBA system fills a 35" tire from 15 to 30 psi in 2:45 min/sec, with 150 psi.

I guess if you're running a dually, with a 5th wheel toy hauler filled with toys you could include those in your calculations too, so you'd have at least 16 tires, and it'd be even more efficient, but that would only be if you had to inflate all 16 tires, which you wouldn't (ever). Well, I guess that 16 tires would be the same as going out four times, so it'd be one time in that scenario, that never happens, and your tank would be empty. So, you have to fill it every time you go out? I know, you can create a scenario that favors one or the other with any number of made-up situations. If you need to fill it once a year and it saved you 10 minutes (realistically), then you're the hero. You saved 10 minutes in one year and only spent (at least) hundreds of dollars more (more than twice as much) than a good compressor and tank ($350 hard-mount with tank vs $750+ CO2). The Viair 400P Portable (for 35" tires) inflates a 35" tire, from 15 to 30 psi in 2:45 and is $199 on Amazon; so it's $500 less than a CO2 set up and never needs to be refilled. You could buy a Viair and have enough left over to buy a Warn VR8k winch.

Four times out before it's empty is one month, not a year, for a guy like me. So what's it cost to buy and fill? What is "minimal"?
I have BFG KO2 on my truck. They are supposed to be run at 46. With the trailer I have them at 60. With just a dirt bike on a hitch carrier I have them at 50. I air down to about 20.

My measurements were my personal example of going from 20 to 60 on my tires.

E rated tires generally need to be inflated more than regular tires.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I have E rated tires, 285/75/17E BFG. I must have a good comoressor.

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, I have E rated tires, 285/75/17E BFG. I must have a good comoressor.
Yeah I didn’t have a good compressor. I had just a portable slime before but you can look up the times on YouTube of the ARB.

I’m not trying to bash it. It’s a pros and cons thing. But like you said several minutes per tire. Let’s say 7 minutes. Let’s say 5 minutes per tire if you want. 5 x 8 tires is 40 minutes filling tires at the end of the day trying to get home.

with the power tank you are done in like 5 minutes. There is no comparison.

edit:
In the other post you asked what was minimal for the tank fill. It cost me $22 to fill the 15 pounder. Also my power tank while expensive wasn’t $750 it was like $450.

Also it wasn’t 4 times and it was done. Like I said I used it to install my front and rear shocks which is what really killed the tank. Using it on the spring compressors is what took the most air out.

Last edited:

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We should talk about this how it relates to actual specs and specific to the Bronco-sized tires.

The Bronco has four load range C tires, with a max size of 35" (stock Sasquatch). It takes the Viair 2 minutes and 45 seconds to go from 15 psi to 30 psi with a 35" tire. Let's say everyone with a Sasquatch will inflate all four tires in 12 minutes, 3 minutes a tire because you have to take the hose to each tire. Every other Bronco, without Sasquatch, will take less time.

Compressor
Fill rates, from 15psi to 30 psi
31" tires - 1:35 (6:20 for four tires)
33" tires - 2:05 (8:20 for four tires)
35" tires - 2:45 (11:00 for four tires)

If you have a compressor with onboard air tank, it takes less time.

With the PowerTank it takes about 30 seconds per tire, with the same 15 seconds to move from tire to tire. So, for a stock Bronco, you save about a minute a tire with a PowerTank. For the Badlands you save 1:30 per tire, and 2:15 for the Sasquatch. You save 4 - 9 minutes, depending on trim. You're right, there's no comparison (seriously), but I spend that time getting water for me, my g/f and the dog so it's not a race to fill up anyway. YMMV.

Sponsored

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We should talk about this how it relates to actual specs and specific to the Bronco-sized tires.

The Bronco has four load range C tires, with a max size of 35" (stock Sasquatch). It takes the Viair 2 minutes and 45 seconds to go from 15 psi to 30 psi with a 35" tire. Let's say everyone with a Sasquatch will inflate all four tires in 12 minutes, 3 minutes a tire because you have to take the hose to each tire. Every other Bronco, without Sasquatch, will take less time.

Compressor
Fill rates, from 15psi to 30 psi
31" tires - 1:35 (6:20 for four tires)
33" tires - 2:05 (8:20 for four tires)
35" tires - 2:45 (11:00 for four tires)

If you have a compressor with onboard air tank, it takes less time.

With the PowerTank it takes about 30 seconds per tire, with the same 15 seconds to move from tire to tire. So, for a stock Bronco, you save about a minute a tire with a PowerTank. For the Badlands you save 1:30 per tire, and 2:15 for the Sasquatch. You save 4 - 9 minutes, depending on trim. You're right, there's no comparison (seriously), but I spend that time getting water for me, my g/f and the dog so it's not a race to fill up anyway. YMMV.
That’s great that you spend that time doing stuff. Like I said for me it’s trying to get back on the road and go home.

I also have a different use case. When I go out I will be taking a truck, travel trailer and the Bronco.

the good compressors are definitely way better than a cheap compressor and the time is cut way down. I looked at what I wanted if I was spending big bucks and the power tank gave me the diversity and speed.

I forgot to say that I also used the power tank at home instead of my normal compressor to top off two cars every once in a while. It was so fast that I stopped using my normal compressor.

The ARB twin compressor is $556 on 4WP and the 10 lbs. Powertank with basic package is $516.

Storing the power tank is a hassle when I go out but every time I use it I’m super happy.

Not only is it extremely fast but you can use it to pop a bead back on and you can use it with air tools. If you get a flat from all those idiots burning pallets with nails then you can inflate from completely dead.

Edit:

here is a good video of how long it will take for 4 tires. I don’t expect anyone to have this air hose setup but it’s better than just random speculation. The good stuff starts at 10:40

Last edited:

Packman

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang Pace Car
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Can someone educate me on what the benefit is of having the 1 gallon tank with your on-board air compressor? I saw a YouTube video where a guy mounted the tank in the engine bay of his truck. And if there is a benefit, will there be room to install the tank alongside the compressor in the Bronco’s engine bay?
Ford Bronco On Board Air? Power tank verses ARB twin compressor. Opinions Please ED304E2F-8F53-42C4-BFD9-BB5CDA7C08A6

Last edited:

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^^^^^^^^ A tank allows for a burst of high volume air.

I don’t expect anyone to have this air hose setup but it’s better than just random speculation. The good stuff starts at 10:40
Actually the hose setup is pretty common in the off-road world. I have two, one for four tires and one for two tires. The two tire one I use on my SxS and my trucks. Having both tires on an axle the same exact pressure is quick and easy with that setup.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I like the power tanks, but probably good to have a backup system;

Ford Bronco On Board Air? Power tank verses ARB twin compressor. Opinions Please 0356E3F9-2EFF-471A-8961-9EA273AC6EDF

TexAZ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 10lb and 20lb tanks. Think I have $150 in one and $100 in the other. Nothing special about a tank and a regulator. In my experiences Co2 is tremendously faster. Use it around the house too. Fill it up at the local home brewing shop, so never a hassle!
Although one of my tanks needs to be recertified (every 7 yrs I think) for $21.

Sponsored

MVP

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Actually the hose setup is pretty common in the off-road world. I have two, one for four tires and one for two tires. The two tire one I use on my SxS and my trucks. Having both tires on an axle the same exact pressure is quick and easy with that setup.
Looks pretty damn cool. I never even thought about it.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

^^^^^^^^ A tank allows for a burst of high volume air.
Right, i have a duel tire inflater for my RV, so both tires get the exact same tire pressure, keeps one tire from running hotter than the other, never thought of one for both tires on the same axle.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s great that you spend that time doing stuff. Like I said for me it’s trying to get back on the road and go home.

I also have a different use case. When I go out I will be taking a truck, travel trailer and the Bronco.

the good compressors are definitely way better than a cheap compressor and the time is cut way down. I looked at what I wanted if I was spending big bucks and the power tank gave me the diversity and speed.

I forgot to say that I also used the power tank at home instead of my normal compressor to top off two cars every once in a while. It was so fast that I stopped using my normal compressor.

The ARB twin compressor is $556 on 4WP and the 10 lbs. Powertank with basic package is $516.

Storing the power tank is a hassle when I go out but every time I use it I’m super happy.

Not only is it extremely fast but you can use it to pop a bead back on and you can use it with air tools. If you get a flat from all those idiots burning pallets with nails then you can inflate from completely dead.

Edit:

here is a good video of how long it will take for 4 tires. I don’t expect anyone to have this air hose setup but it’s better than just random speculation. The good stuff starts at 10:40

Wow, after watching that I’m definitely sold on the Power Tank! That was over 12 minutes faster. Definitely gonna go that route and am also gonna go with either that QuikFlate system, SpeedFlate or similar.

Casey250 on YouTube put out a video on the SpeedFlate system and he used an ARB Twin Compressor to inflate all 4 of his 37x12.50x17 Trail Grapplers from 12psi to 30psi. The ARB did it in ~6.5 minutes. So you still save 5-5.5 minutes and you can use the Power Tank for air tools. Nice!

Reactions: MVP

ipongtreat

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4-Door Bronco Badlands Sasquatch LUX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just spent just a tad under $300 ordering a 20lb tank (comes with a handle) and all the individual parts to make my own DIY version of the PowerTank (25-ft hose, regulator, connections, mounting solution, air chuck, etc.). Won’t look quite as cool but it’s a fair amount cheaper than the name brand products. I think the 20lb PowerTank runs about $750.

I personally prefer the simplicity, reliability, and speed of a tank solution but fully acknowledge the negatives such as the space and hardware required to securely carry it and the cost of occasionally refilling it. A portable tank does make it a bit easier to help others on the trail but that’s a double-edged sword in that you risk being the guy with all the free, fast air!

For what it’s worth, a rare and unlikely scenario where speed might really matter is when something bad has happened on the trail and you need to recover yourself (or someone else) as quickly as possible (to get emergency help, for example). Just saying.

We can probably all agree that this is one of those topics that has no one, right answer. It depends on your priorities (simplicity, reliability, space, time, convenience, etc.) and pocketbook.

+1 to all those saying have a backup on hand. It will be slow(er) but it’s better than being stranded!

Reactions: MVP

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For what it’s worth...
After much self debate, I decided to go the Smittybuilt portable, I plan on changing the line, adding a pressure switch and a quick electrical connector that exits at the grill and that will just be plug and play, no clips or opening of the hood...
Sponsored