Milamdj

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Versa
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive never considered having on board air compressor but toying with the idea of having one and tying it in to the accessory switch. Where do people typically mount these? In the engine bay? Under the car some year? Real estate in the back?
Thoughts?
Sponsored

NonfatWombat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands 4-Door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most I've seen are either under the hood, cargo area, or installed externally on the back.

Under the hood will be limited to available space and ambient heat should be taken into consideration.

There'll be plenty of options available, I'm sure.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ive never considered having on board air compressor but toying with the idea of having one and tying it in to the accessory switch. Where do people typically mount these? In the engine bay? Under the car some year? Real estate in the back?
Thoughts?
I'm planning to mount mine on a molle panel on the inside of the rear tail gate.

Basically like this:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Kinda diggin' that idea. I've never considered it, either....but won't ever forget the day we dropped TWO tires going thru a cattle gate in WY while prairie doggin'. One while going in, and the other on the return. Just sharp rocks. So with any luck, you pull out your T tool with the vulcanized plug and just air up?

Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Kinda diggin' that idea. I've never considered it, either....but won't ever forget the day we dropped TWO tires going thru a cattle gate in WY while prairie doggin'. One while going in, and the other on the return. Just sharp rocks. So with any luck, you pull out your T tool with the vulcanized plug and just air up?
Love that. Nice and compact. And cheap. I do hope it doesn't run on the crappy Ryobi batteries! lol

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i would just store in the back(planning on just removing the rear seats on the 4 door and building a platform to make it flat). prolly just get a pancake compressor from harbor freight.

Judge Rufus

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Wheeler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX80, GMC Sierra, Mercedes SLK32 AMG,
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Just sharp rocks. So with any luck, you pull out your T tool with the vulcanized plug and just air up?
While the on-board air could help you out in the situation you describe. The primary purpose is not for emergencies, but for re-inflating your tires, after you air them down to do rock crawling. The 4x4 will perform better on rocks when the tire is deflated. But when you need to get back on the road, you need to air them back up.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI, I own one of these and think this will prevent me from wanting to increase the price of my rig.

Ford Bronco On board air question Ryobi

Chris
How fast is that thing at inflating tires?

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Under the hood is the obvious choice if there's room there. Easy to access and not a lot of complicated wiring to run.

The other place I'm contemplating is the under the floor storage area. I feel like there'll be things I'll want to have mounted to the tailgate that are more important than the air compressor. Things I need to access quickly like first aid kit or fire extinguisher.

Realistically, unless ford offers a DIO onboard air solution, this and radio mounts will all be figured out once I have the truck.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

While the on-board air could help you out in the situation you describe. The primary purpose is not for emergencies, but for re-inflating your tires, after you air them down to do rock crawling. The 4x4 will perform better on rocks when the tire is deflated. But when you need to get back on the road, you need to air them back up.
Not a rock crawler here. The only time I get off road is out on the ranches and the farm where we deer hunt if the fields are dry enough. So mud is my main obstacle. But it looks like it would work for punctures unless it's in the sidewall....

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Under the hood is the obvious choice if there's room there. Easy to access and not a lot of complicated wiring to run.

The other place I'm contemplating is the under the floor storage area. I feel like there'll be things I'll want to have mounted to the tailgate that are more important than the air compressor. Things I need to access quickly like first aid kit or fire extinguisher.

Realistically, unless ford offers a DIO onboard air solution, this and radio mounts will all be figured out once I have the truck.
Will you get better power from hooking it up to Aux switch directly than you do from a lighter plug? Hmmmm, do we get a lighter plug?

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
i would just store in the back(planning on just removing the rear seats on the 4 door and building a platform to make it flat). prolly just get a pancake compressor from harbor freight.
A pancake compressor is fine if you're just topping off or don't mind waiting. If you're airing down to wheel, you'll barely be able to fill two 35" tires with one of those. You're going to be sitting there waiting for it to fill back up.

JesseS

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jayco AY26, Honda F6B, CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will do the same as I did on my Runner, supply power to a SAE plug both in the grill and at the trailer plug harness for my auto cut-off compressor. Wire one of the Aux switches to a 30amp relay to power the runs, that way I don't need 20' of air hose, just the 10' coil that came with the comp.
Sponsored