Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4EV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I bought the On X Off Road subscription on the Memorial Day weekend sale and got out to the trails and even though the maps showed up on my phone the Android Auto connection did not display any of that information with I think a gray background being the only information shown. Additionally many of the trails we were on did not show up in the app at all despite having the medium size downloads of the area.

We ended up using the built in Ford App which, despite having no internet connection, showed us just about every trail in the area.

Anyone else have a similar experience with On X?
Sponsored

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4EV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What built in Ford app show's trails?
I thought it was Nav but I could be wrong. It might have been Google maps (I had a navigator). But which ever it was, it did not need a cell connection to display the trails on the screen. It might be possible I downloaded the region with Google maps on a previous trip though.

What ever it was it was free and it worked while my $20 subscription to On X both would not display on the screen and the navigator who then picked up the phone itself said it did not have the trails on it that we were driving on. It had some trails but would then stop when clearly there were a lot of officially marked trail markers around.

Is On X through Android Auto working for others?

Sponsored

Smokey142

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Z71 LTZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The ford performance app is the one that’s supposed to have trails and camera recording support. They haven’t said anything about the release other than “by the end of the year” so I wouldn’t hold my breath. And for what it’s worth I’d go with Gaia GPS premium over OnX. Gaia has much more functionality.

OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4EV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco On X Off Road over Android Auto versus Ford app mapping 1654026033959

I think that is saying it was Nav we were using. And it worked great.

FarmBoy88

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250, 1988 F350, 1978 F250, 2011 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I got the same OnXmaps subscription over the weekend. I pre downloaded some maps using OnX and hit the trail (rainbow falls outside of Denver CO). The OnXmaps app on my android phone worked and showed the forest service trails and placed a dot to where i was and showed me moving on the map in real time. My standard ford navigation was not as detailed and didn't show the forest service road/trail. I also couldn't figure out how to get the OnX app to run on my ford screen. Spent an hour looking for that Ford Performance Trails app and couldn't find it.

Reactions: Kai

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Seeing this thread reminded me to cancel my On X premium before it auto renews in a few weeks. Thanks. Over the last 11 months I've preferred Gaia GPS over On X. USFS roads and MVUM data display better on Gaia in my opinion and custom maps were easier to load.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seeing this thread reminded me to cancel my On X premium before it auto renews in a few weeks. Thanks. Over the last 11 months I've preferred Gaia GPS over On X. USFS roads and MVUM data display better on Gaia in my opinion and custom maps were easier to load.
Yeah, I'm probably right there with you. I love the OnX interface on the phone and tablet, but what it shoots over to carplay is terrible as far as reliability goes. It seems like half the time you have to force quit the app on the device and restart it any time you use lose cellular connectivity. Gaia seems to work much better in this regard.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kai

Kai

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4EV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it work with Android auto though? If I had known On X wasn't going to work I would have brought a tablet. I mean, it showed up on Android auto and kept asking me to log in when I tried to test it at home so I assumed it would work as long as I had downloaded the maps ahead of time.

dweskamp

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I bought the On X Off Road subscription on the Memorial Day weekend sale and got out to the trails and even though the maps showed up on my phone the Android Auto connection did not display any of that information with I think a gray background being the only information shown. Additionally many of the trails we were on did not show up in the app at all despite having the medium size downloads of the area.

We ended up using the built in Ford App which, despite having no internet connection, showed us just about every trail in the area.

Anyone else have a similar experience with On X?
I was able to cast Gia trails on sync 4. Choose apps on screen to import the app.

50 and Fabulous

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door, 2022 Transit Connect
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The ford performance app is the one that’s supposed to have trails and camera recording support. They haven’t said anything about the release other than “by the end of the year” so I wouldn’t hold my breath. And for what it’s worth I’d go with Gaia GPS premium over OnX. Gaia has much more functionality.
OnX is a joke... Gaia even it's free version is much better IMO. I did the OnX 7 day trial, all the YouTube overlanders getting paid to promote it had me convinced it was the ticket. It was great around town and in cell range... the first time off road it went gray screen... a basic off line google map was superior at that point, OnX removed. I even commented about the pathetic performance on an add post once and the bot explained I would have needed to download maps first, pretty sure that feature was not available on the free trial tho? Either way OnX let me down the first time I needed it.

Would love to try the Ford App?!?!?!

I do like recording my trail rides with Gaia much like MTB rides on Strava.

Last edited:

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it work with Android auto though? If I had known On X wasn't going to work I would have brought a tablet. I mean, it showed up on Android auto and kept asking me to log in when I tried to test it at home so I assumed it would work as long as I had downloaded the maps ahead of time.
Yes, they've added Android Auto support to Gaia. Just saw a blog post on it recently in fact.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yup, Gaia works great with Android Auto. I have the Gaia icon on my Sync 4 screen of Android apps.

Works as a full screen app.
Sponsored