James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just drove an Explorer (boring) - and I kept spinning the inside rear wheel while accelerating out of corners. And then engine power gets cut...no fun.

I’ve spec’d a standard transmission with the 4.27 locking rear diff; but that’s only for rare off-road use.

Does the Advanced 4x4 allow us to run in basically ‘All-Wheel-Drive’ on the road? If so, I’m definitely upgrading my build.
Sponsored

Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
SupremoSombrero

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You do realize it's not supposed to be a sports car... right?
I’m going to have a problem forgetting that it’s a truck. I’ll have a GT500 to fall back on.

Looks like I can’t get the Advanced 4x4 u less I get sassy; so I guess I’ll just smile and enjoy the tire smoke (with ESC defeated.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just drove an Explorer (boring) - and I kept spinning the inside rear wheel while accelerating out of corners. And then engine power gets cut...no fun.

I’ve spec’d a standard transmission with the 4.27 locking rear diff; but that’s only for rare off-road use.

Does the Advanced 4x4 allow us to run in basically ‘All-Wheel-Drive’ on the road? If so, I’m definitely upgrading my build.
To honestly answer the OP’s question:

4A is just the ability for the Bronco to stay in 2H and “instantaneously” transfer torque to the front wheels by engaging 4H when slip is detected (without you having to reach down and engage 4H)... all while allowing some slippage between axles thanks to a clutch pack. This means you can leave it in 4H on otherwise high traction surfaces without fear of drivetrain binding.

What you’re describing in the Explorer is the symptoms of an open differential, which all Bronco’s have. In an open diff torque follows the path of least resistance, so if one will is free to spin, the motor will just spin that one wheel.

What *should* happen (in modern cars including the Bronco) is the vehicle will apply brake force to the wheel that’s spinning, effectively transferring torque back to the opposite wheel on the same axle. This has the effect of mimicking a limited slip differential. (If the effort to spin the slipping wheel is greater than to turn the wheel that’s propelling the vehicle, you’ll start moving again from the wheel with the traction)

The down side is you’re technically losing some power to heat on the side that’s being braked... but from the driver’s seat you shouldn’t be left stranded, and assuming it’s a temporary slippery patch, you’ll be right back on your way without drama.

When the vehicle starts to cut engine power all together, that’s when things are getting really complicated. More complicated than my whiskey brain can address right now.

Last edited:

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m going to have a problem forgetting that it’s a truck. I’ll have a GT500 to fall back on.

Looks like I can’t get the Advanced 4x4 u less I get sassy; so I guess I’ll just smile and enjoy the tire smoke (with ESC defeated.
Badlands non SAS had advanced 4x4
Sponsored