Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Noticed this here:

https://www.race-dezert.com/home/on...o-other-major-updates-coming-soon-221160.html

Looks like OnX now supports Android Auto! I have a spare Android (Pixel) that I'm gonna load up and see how well it works. They infer CarPlay is also coming soon, but I actually like the idea of dedicating a device to this. My daily phone is an iPhone 12 Pro and I'd rather leave the Android in the vehicle when playing off-road.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Good news CarPlay is in the works. Nice find.

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tested just now, and it did not work. I'll keep an eye on that droid for an app update.

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes!!!

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Gaia GPS works for Android auto. I have found it to be better than Onx. I use both, but Gaia more.

Sponsored

BadBoyBroncoBilly

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E150 Adventure Van, Chevrolet Spark
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Noticed this here:

https://www.race-dezert.com/home/on...o-other-major-updates-coming-soon-221160.html

Looks like OnX now supports Android Auto! I have a spare Android (Pixel) that I'm gonna load up and see how well it works. They infer CarPlay is also coming soon, but I actually like the idea of dedicating a device to this. My daily phone is an iPhone 12 Pro and I'd rather leave the Android in the vehicle when playing off-road.
F droid!!! Upload the software so I can pair with my IPhone and use the Bronco Wi-Fi to upload my drop pins before I leave home.

MrGreen55

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
toyota scion xb
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tested just now, and it did not work. I'll keep an eye on that droid for an app update.
onX Offroad’s integration with Android Auto will be available for Premium and Elite members, but will also be accessible to anyone utilizing the free seven-day trial period. The App’s integration with CarPlay will be available for all users, including Free level members.
It sucks that it's only for premium and elite member but it's somthing. It's all ready out.
With Android Auto compatibility available immediately, onX will add CarPlay compatibility in late 2021

Last edited:
OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

F droid!!! Upload the software so I can pair with my IPhone and use the Bronco Wi-Fi to upload my drop pins before I leave home.
I am not an Android fan myself. I've switched back and forth three times, and it always ends the same way. I end up with a bazillion apps with tons of overlap, phantom battery drains, and then my hardware gets abandoned very quickly and doesn't get the latest OS updates. Personally I think it's a horrible ecosystem even if they tend to have bleeding edge features. I keep this one around as a utility device. I liked the idea of dedicating a device to nav, but in reality I want that device to be an iPad Mini.

Ryan05055

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Jailbroken iPhone on 14.4.1 + CarPlayEnable tweak = Any app you want on the CarPlay screen.

OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gaia GPS works for Android auto. I have found it to be better than Onx. I use both, but Gaia more.
I still need to play with Gaia some more. It seemed to be just a seriously accurate topographical map you can set your own waypoints on. OnX seemed to be more about off-road navigation and helping you find trails other folks had already made.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JediMcMuffin

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bumping this only to say: OnX now appears in CarPlay! I will need to save some routes and see what it can do in that regard, but it now shows the map at least same as Gaia

annieVonBebop

Badlands
First Name
annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Xterra XE 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still need to play with Gaia some more. It seemed to be just a seriously accurate topographical map you can set your own waypoints on. OnX seemed to be more about off-road navigation and helping you find trails other folks had already made.
I really enjoyed using Gaia in tandem with Trails off Road, so much that I pay for the annual subscriptions for both. TOR allows you to import different trails and waypoints into Gaia, and that along with downloading the different overlays you want for offline use is *chef's kiss* IMO. I found it to be a better UX than using ONX for some reason.

The ability to create a whole route end to end using the snap feature is also super cool - researched trails with dispersed camping on TOR, then figured out how our drive looked around those areas to plan a leaf peeping trip this year. This map combines our highway and off road driving, and I was able to share it with family so they knew where we were if something happened. I also used it to plan a roundabout way to get from Denver to Green River WY that may actually be scenic!

IMG_20211118_155617_355.jpg

UhOh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bumping this only to say: OnX now appears in CarPlay! I will need to save some routes and see what it can do in that regard, but it now shows the map at least same as Gaia
Really? It did not work this weekend. Glad to hear. What are your thoughts on it? How is functionality on the 12" screen? is zooming in and out on sat imagery any good?
Sponsored