Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did the dreaded dropped my door this weekend. First time taking them off. Ive had jeeps for years and their hinge design is so much easier. When trying to hang the door I guess I didnt have the top part in and soon as I loosened my grip on the handle it felt to the driveway. I had to hammer it out just to close the door.

Ive seen several others do the same thing and wondering what the outcome was for repair. Was it able to fixed or did the door have to be replaced? Im going to get estimates today and curious what to expect.

door1.jpeg

door2.jpeg
Sponsored

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did the dreaded dropped my door this weekend. First time taking them off. Ive had jeeps for years and their hinge design is so much easier. When trying to hang the door I guess I didnt have the top part in and soon as I loosened my grip on the handle it felt to the driveway. I had to hammer it out just to close the door.

Ive seen several others do the same thing and wondering what the outcome was for repair. Was it able to fixed or did the door have to be replaced? Im going to get estimates today and curious what to expect.

Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend door2

Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend door2
Sorry man, that's a bummer and my worst fear when taking the doors off. It probably seems worse than it is because it happened to your Bronco, and I'm betting this can be sorted out well enough by a good body shop. Good luck.

My only advice would be to use the door bags when removing them in the future (hopefully you were able to get those) and maybe have a friend around to assist. The weight on the two door models especially is no joke especially when you're trying to guide them onto the pin.

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I haven't taken my doors off yet this is always my fear. good luck hopefully its not a crazy expensive fix

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ouch, that will be an expensive repair if you have it done professionally. The entire door will need to be repaired and re-painted.

You could do it on your own straightening it, some filler and lots and lots of sanding, rattle can primer, wet sand, rattle can finish multiple coats, more wet sanding, finally multiple coats of clear coat with polishing the finish. You have to be good at blending the paint, etc. with the current paint on the door. Being in the corner makes it somewhat easier. Still a lot of labor. I have done a few jobs like that with semi-good results and now know whey body shops charge so much- it's the labor.

I don't think I will ever remove my doors.

OP
OP
ChrisB351

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry man, that's a bummer and my worst fear when taking the doors off. It probably seems worse than it is because it happened to your Bronco, and I'm betting this can be sorted out well enough by a good body shop. Good luck.

My only advice would be to use the door bags when removing them in the future (hopefully you were able to get those) and maybe have a friend around to assist. The weight on the two door models especially is no joke especially when you're trying to guide them onto the pin.
I know several people in body shops and sent them pics. 1 guy said its gonna need a door, another said he thinks he can fix it but will need to see it first. I didnt get bags for them. I dont think it woulda helped in this situation. Bad part is I laughed every time I saw a pic of someone doing this. So many times doing my jeep I never imagined this would happen. I have to say the weight wasnt an issue, its the hinge design itself.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Note to self .... take doors off in the yard, not the driveway.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just don't understand why anyone who is taking the doors off for the 1st time would not have safety measures in place (like a big empty box under the door or help from another person) just in case something unexpected happens

I haven't taken my doors off yet this is always my fear. good luck hopefully its not a crazy expensive fix

Last edited:

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just don't understand why anyone who is taking the doors off for the 1st time would not have safety measure in place (like a big empty box under the door or help for another person) just in case something unexpected happens
because ur excited to get them off! sometimes things just go wrong and with my luck it would happen to me.

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just don't understand why anyone who is taking the doors off for the 1st time would not have safety measure in place (like a big empty box under the door or help for another person) just in case something unexpected happens
Sounded like @ChrisB351 was familiar with taking off Jeep doors and was expecting a similar experience. It's honestly not hard but potential for something to go wrong is pretty high. I've taken mine off half a dozen times and I can say it gets easier.

Sponsored

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

understood. BUT learn from the OP or you will pay BIG for your excitement.

:cry:
it would probably be a more damaged door I am 6 inch over stock now and that's before I add 38s or 39s maybe 40s

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Sorry man. Doors are always a pain in the butt. I've done some minor repairs to jeep half doors, but they've never been as bad as that. And yes, those things are heavier than they look! TJ and YJ full doors are not light. I gouged up the side of my TJ when I had it trying to line up the pegs/hinges.

It's so sweet having the doors off though. I've settled for just putting on half doors and leaving them on my YJ. I'm looking into getting a Bronco and hoping half doors are going to be a thing.

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know several people in body shops and sent them pics. 1 guy said its gonna need a door, another said he thinks he can fix it but will need to see it first. I didnt get bags for them. I dont think it woulda helped in this situation. Bad part is I laughed every time I saw a pic of someone doing this. So many times doing my jeep I never imagined this would happen. I have to say the weight wasnt an issue, its the hinge design itself.
yup karma will get u

edernest

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've found that the bags help protect from scratches and provide a handle on top for your partner to hold the entire assembly, but I think they might actually make it a little more awkward for one person doing it alone. I've gotten better at taking my smaller 4dr doors off by myself with practice but I can say having a second person to hold steady while you guide makes the whole process less stressful.

Again, sorry this happened and hope it works out well in the end.

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bummer, I hope you can get it fixed without too much hassle!

It takes a big person to admit when they were wrong. Seriously, I commend you for acknowledging that you saw others struggling/dropping their doors and laughed cause it wasn't going to happen to you..until it does. Most people wouldn't admit that.

Everyone needs a little help sometimes, nothing wrong with that. Keep that in mind when you see others struggling with things that come easy to you.
Sponsored