indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Totally agree. The cost is staggering to some if you are not familiar with bodywork and whether you do it yourself (proper repair) or have the pros do it, there is a lot of labor involved which equals lot of $$$$.

I tried very hard (and failed) to restore a 66 Bronco. I learned a lesson the hard way not to trust body shops on restorations but that's another story. In the end before I aborted the project I went to a high end body shop, they walked me through the paint process and the labor and costs were simply staggering. Base, bare bones crappy paint job was 10K. Medium to high end was 100K. If anyone ever does a restoration bodywork is way more expensive than mechanical work.
To me that's a great thing about old 4x4s though - not needing a perfect 10k+ body/paint job. Unless you are going concourse for a show or something, who wants that on a truck taken on trails, used for hauling boats and other stuff?

An EB is great as a usable 4x4 that can have "character" dents and dings (or at least it was until gentrification ruined things). I'll likely be brush painting my old Land Rover this spring, if I bother painting it. Even on a new Bronco, are some relatively minor dents and dings really something to spend thousands fixing?
Sponsored

Kiowa

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
suburban, clk convertible
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry to hear about the damage. Out of total paranoia, I installed two things on my garage ceiling- a hoist sold for kayaks, and a flat hoist for the top. Kids are gone, so most will be just me. I used the door bags and hooked the kayak hoist dual-prong hook on the handle- as a "just in case" I dropped the bag/door. I had envisioned that I would hoist it and then remove from the hook- really over thought on my part. A simple strap or chain with a fixed length would work perfectly well. The hoist was +/- $42 for two units, so not too much. The top hoist is a better, more expensive investment. +/- $150 for the platform (sold as a fixed in place version but is designed to be supported by the corners) and the 8 to 1 mechanical advantage lift (200 pound capacity) hoist. I lowered that to the same level behind the Bronco- so just had to move from the back of the Bronco to the lift, close the garage door and done. Love the doors and top off, so storing the top was a major consideration. Hooks for the doors, do look pretty useless 99% of the time, but a nice insurance policy for taking off/putting on.

IMG_3750.JPG

haaz

Outer Banks
First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've seen pool noodles are frequently recommended.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Wait so you think a Jeep looks right with no doors but not a bronco?!? It’s the same desire a Jeep owner has.
Like I said before it does not look terrible it just looks like a vehicle in a body shop and was never designed to actually look right with the doors off. Notice how the sides on a jeep is cleanly flush with the front and back and the fender to door jam flows together. Now I am glad they made it so you can take them off, I just wish they spent more time on it. There was a concept a while back where someone did a visual fix I just cannot find it anymore.
Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend 1665594934281

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You do realize the original "jeep" was built by Ford correct? The name came from GP.
Actually Bantam was the first. To small of a company so they gave the design to Ford and Willys. Ford improved on the design but was not the first general purpose vehicle , Willys got the first contract to build it.

Sponsored

SCBronco1

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Lariat Fx4, 2012 BMW X3, 2011 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I know several people in body shops and sent them pics. 1 guy said its gonna need a door, another said he thinks he can fix it but will need to see it first. I didnt get bags for them. I dont think it woulda helped in this situation. Bad part is I laughed every time I saw a pic of someone doing this. So many times doing my jeep I never imagined this would happen. I have to say the weight wasnt an issue, its the hinge design itself.
All that I can say is that must totally suck. I wish that it had not happened to you.

CeeCeeBronco

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
CeeCee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think he was referring to accessing the rear not driving with that open
I know, and I guess I wasn't clear. Who would ever care what it looks like when accessing the rear. The solution I guess is something not as functional, but at least you look cool? Said by the guy railing against people driving with the doors off for trying to look cool?

At this point, I think he's trolling. It's hard to take people serious when their criticisms are in conflict and self-defeating.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Here is the image I was looking for. They called it half doors but to me that looks sweet doorless.

Ford Bronco Oopsie... dropped and dented my door this weekend 1665603740933

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bad part is when I picked it up and tried again it went on with ease. And the passenger door was just as smooth. I learned you have to get the door at a certain angle for it drop in place.
Looks like something I'd do after about a 12 pack.

Sponsored

SkyKing

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CG Wildtrak, E.R.A. 1966 Cobra 427 S/C replica
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I removed the rear cap on my 4-door hardtop by myself (which also had a Badass Tents roof rack on it). DO NOT TRY THIS! I can't believe I didn't damage the cap, the car, or myself. It is heavy, awkward, and fragile. I don't have room for those hoists and lifts in my garage. 3 people to put it back on. It has 4 "plastic" pins on the bottom that could easily break off.

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just messing with you.
I've had mine for 6 days an my wife is taking a liking to it. She just had left knee replacement so can't do the clutch but she'll be driving it soon. Might need to trade my Tacoma for one for her.
Paul

OP
OP
ChrisB351

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I removed the rear cap on my 4-door hardtop by myself (which also had a Badass Tents roof rack on it). DO NOT TRY THIS! I can't believe I didn't damage the cap, the car, or myself. It is heavy, awkward, and fragile. I don't have room for those hoists and lifts in my garage. 3 people to put it back on. It has 4 "plastic" pins on the bottom that could easily break off.
Look up toplift pros for a hoist. I have one and its awesome! Its a 1 man deal and its on castors so you can roll it around your driveway. As long as you dont live in apartments or a sketchy area you can leave it in the driveway. As for those pins I broke one of them already :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored