Sponsored

Opening the doors and windows dropping...??

Cpc101

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Subarus and one old Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Pure speculation here...

I've had more frozen windows than I care to admit here in western PA. They are no fun.

I would expect that the mere act of opening the door would break the grip of the ice on the left, right and top leaving only the bottom ice to hold the window in place. That said, the bottom is where most ice would accumulate.

I'd almost expect that the motor would have sufficient torque to overcome the friction holding the glass. Full frame windows would have all four sides frozen and even then they do break loose eventually.

I've also found myself ripping the guts out of an old Dakota's door because the window glass ripped free of the mechanics before...

Ah, Northern life.....
Sponsored

Rivdog07

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My only gripe with the indexing windows has nothing to do with freezing. My mother-in-law's car has indexing windows. She also has a knack of draining the battery. When there's a dead battery, the windows won't index, thus makes it nearly impossible to open the door to pop the hood and charge the battery. I don't plan on killing my battery and hope this isn't an issue.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My only gripe with the indexing windows has nothing to do with freezing. My mother-in-law's car has indexing windows. She also has a knack of draining the battery. When there's a dead battery, the windows won't index, thus makes it nearly impossible to open the door to pop the hood and charge the battery. I don't plan on killing my battery and hope this isn't an issue.
Or when disconnecting the batter to work on a car stereo - I learned can be a hassle. The windows may be indexed up or down, depending on when you disconnected. Also after reconnecting power, I had to play around with the windows and door open/close to get the indexing functionality to reset. Overall though I like the idea of frameless windows on the new Bronco, should give a clean look with top off and not having the window frames.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I learned to leave the windows in my Camaro slightly cracked in the winter. The top of the window still rests against the seal so no snow gets in but it prevents the whole "automated window drop to clear" action.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I’ve already told this story once before but old age prevents me from remembering! Back in the mid to late 70’s we had a 30 day stretch below zero. The hatch on my Mustang became my main entrance for a few weeks. That bad boy never froze. It’s always an option especially if your not an old man like me!

I think the auto start might be the best option for those of you getting an A10. Not so much for those of us getting the 7MT.
Awesome. I was gonna tell a similar story about my old '84 Z28. I could wrench that rear hatch open no matter how frozen the doors were. Was a little tough opening the T-tops to climb back out to close the hatch, then back through them to get driving.

Wasn't too cold holding the T-top partially on for the drive home.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I learned to leave the windows in my Camaro slightly cracked in the winter. The top of the window still rests against the seal so no snow gets in but it prevents the whole "automated window drop to clear" action.
So by leaving the window in any position other than full up it eliminates the drop?

I'm also in Western PA and we do get a lot of ice storms at times. No way your getting it off to be able to let the window move. Remote start doesn't do it. I've driven over and hour and they are still frozen shut. Seems pretty stupid to fix a problem that didn't exist. (like the stupid brain dead oil pan plug) I've got a frameless window car in the garage that doesn't do any of this crap and doesn't leak.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So by leaving the window in any position other than full up it eliminates the drop?

I'm also in Western PA and we do get a lot of ice storms at times. No way your getting it off to be able to let the window move. Remote start doesn't do it. I've driven over and hour and they are still frozen shut. Seems pretty stupid to fix a problem that didn't exist. (like the stupid brain dead oil pan plug) I've got a frameless window car in the garage that doesn't do any of this crap and doesn't leak.
It does on those and would be the first trick I tried come winter in the Bronco. We get plenty of ice and icy mix here in the KC area. If I open the door and roll the window up until it stops (roughly 3/8"-1/2" shy of fully up) it's the perfect height to still rest against the seal but not drop when getting in.

CliffCo

Big Bend
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver, Big Bend Sasquatch (MIC top)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Or when disconnecting the batter to work on a car stereo - I learned can be a hassle. The windows may be indexed up or down, depending on when you disconnected. Also after reconnecting power, I had to play around with the windows and door open/close to get the indexing functionality to reset. Overall though I like the idea of frameless windows on the new Bronco, should give a clean look with top off and not having the window frames.
How did you fix? It seems like something that should be fairly easy... Ford is ready to order a door switch(!)...

Josh Trombley

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F-150 FX4/ 2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s an interesting question. I experienced the indexing open and closing the door on a Bronco and it definitely moves a decent amount. I love the look, but it will be something to be aware of in the winter. I am hoping my Bronco gets a spot in the garage, where my F150 doesn’t fit, but at the cabin or when it’s stuck outside it could become an issue for sure. My F150 door locks are ridiculous too btw.
Sponsored