Sponsored

Opening the doors and windows dropping...??

Despotes

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Of all the videos I've watched, only one briefly mentioned the window dropping slightly when opening the door and when the door shuts it automatically goes back up. Here in Maine it's not uncommon for my windows to be frozen in place by ice. Sometimes after an hour of driving the window will still be stuck. What happens when the Bronco's windows are frozen and you try to close the door? Will the window or seal be damaged?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There are other vehicles with frameless windows that already do the indexing thing when ya open/close, maybe look up what people do for them in winter? Never had an issue with my camaro, even once when it snowed a few inches while I was at work, but I’m a lot further south than you(and generally camaros in the garage for that kinda weather). Mustangs and challengers do the indexing window thing too. Think some Mercedes and bmws do as well. Plenty others that I can’t think of at the moment. Just hopefully they don’t use the version of f150 door locks that freeze so you can’t shut the door.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s an interesting question. I experienced the indexing open and closing the door on a Bronco and it definitely moves a decent amount. I love the look, but it will be something to be aware of in the winter. I am hoping my Bronco gets a spot in the garage, where my F150 doesn’t fit, but at the cabin or when it’s stuck outside it could become an issue for sure. My F150 door locks are ridiculous too btw.

Wizard1183

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Sierra/ 2010 Camaro 2SS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a very good question and you actually have me a bit concerned. I can't tell you how many times I've had my windows frozen in place. Some times really bad.

As for people not in a place that has a real winter like the OP. Its not a few inches of snow that is the problem. Not even snow is.

But I'll take a frozen window over doors not latching in the cold on my GTO. Then swinging open when driving or you hold it shut and steer and shift on slippery roads... so fun.

Edit: no joke. Just went out to my escape. Frozen window! Lows 40s and light rain last night. Below freezing now this morning.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MA here. Plenty of freezing rain... just this past week in fact. We have a BMW with frameless doors and moving windows.

We never experience this problem. Windows roll down no problem getting in... there’s not enough friction on the glass for the ice to hold it in place. And even if it continued to be a problem from the weather while driving, once the car warms up, the windows are clear from that point forward.

Honestly, how are people finding this to be a problem? I wonder how our scenarios differ.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are other vehicles with frameless windows that already do the indexing thing when ya open/close, maybe look up what people do for them in winter? Never had an issue with my camaro, even once when it snowed a few inches while I was at work, but I’m a lot further south than you(and generally camaros in the garage for that kinda weather). Mustangs and challengers do the indexing window thing too. Think some Mercedes and bmws do as well. Plenty others that I can’t think of at the moment. Just hopefully they don’t use the version of f150 door locks that freeze so you can’t shut the door.
Plenty of freezing rain...

We never experience this problem. Windows roll down no problem getting in... there’s not enough friction on the glass for the ice to hold it in place. And even if it continued to be a problem from the weather while driving, once the car warms up, the windows are clear from that point forward.

Honestly, how are people finding this to be a problem? I wonder how our scenarios differ.
You guys need to go spend a winter in Minnesota then. When it drops to -20 over night and the high during the day is 0... You'll understand.

In 2014, in Duluth, there was a record numbers of days where the temperatures literally never went above 0F... Over 30 days. A couple weeks ago it was documented that the coldest place on Earth was the North American Midwest for a day.

The issue is this: It gets really f***ing cold in certain parts of the world. A couple inches of snow or freezing rain is not the issue. The problem is once you've finally warmed your car up inside, it's still -5 outside. So any frost, snow, etc that was frozen to your car like a brick is still there on the outside, but instead dripping along the windowsill. 10 minutes after you turn your car off and walk away, that moisture buildup has refrozen. You can bet it's bonded that window in place stronger than gorilla glue.

That month in Duluth I was referring to above? Yeah, there was days my car door was frozen shut. Took me 30 min just to open it. I'm sure others from similar climates can chime in with similar explanations and experiences.

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve been worried about the same thing (I’m in Buffalo, NY). The concern is valid: Model 3 Icing Issues

my solution will be to treat my windows with Prestone Ice and Frost Shield. But that’s only my backup plan. Since the rear gate doesn’t have the same seal setup, i’ll be keeping a can of deicing spray in the cargo area (and in my house) over the winter.

OP
OP

Despotes

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Like I said, I could drive for at least an hour and my windows would STILL be frozen in place. Some kind of tape where the lower edge would cover the window/door seal contact area?

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any solace in that apparently all trims (including base) have remote start through the MyFord App?

(obviously you need cell coverage for that to work, which I do not have in my driveway...)

::edit::

I see the above post which states a warm cabin/vehicle does not remedy the situation

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You guys need to go spend a winter in Minnesota then. When it drops to -20 over night and the high during the day is 0... You'll understand.

In 2014, in Duluth, there was a record numbers of days where the temperatures literally never went above 0F... Over 30 days. A couple weeks ago it was documented that the coldest place on Earth was the North American Midwest for a day.

The issue is this: It gets really f***ing cold in certain parts of the world. A couple inches of snow or freezing rain is not the issue. The problem is once you've finally warmed your car up inside, it's still -5 outside. So any frost, snow, etc that was frozen to your car like a brick is still there on the outside, but instead dripping along the windowsill. 10 minutes after you turn your car off and walk away, that moisture buildup has refrozen. You can bet it's bonded that window in place stronger than gorilla glue.

That month in Duluth I was referring to above? Yeah, there was days my car door was frozen shut. Took me 30 min just to open it. I'm sure others from similar climates can chime in with similar explanations and experiences.
Oh I know cold, just never had to deal with an indexing window in it. I’ve literally gotten stuck inside a vehicle before because the door froze shut after I was inside driving it, had to kick it hard enough to break the ice from inside. I’ve been in Minnesota for work in well below 0 temps, been in New York visiting family in below 0, just never in my own vehicle. But yea I live in the south, so best I can do for comparison about this particular issue is a few inches of snow. Hence why I suggested looking up what people do with other vehicles that index the windows, there are lots of them that do it and have for years so should be plenty of others that have dealt with it.

Last edited:

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm just hoping it doesn't become a problem.

I broke my door handle off my truck this winter because of a frozen door. It snowed a bunch, melted, then turned real cold again so the melt froze in the door jambs and seals.

Quite often I end up with frozen windows that won't roll down.

I park in the garage... But, obviously, that's not alway possible.

I'm just hoping for the best.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Of all the videos I've watched, only one briefly mentioned the window dropping slightly when opening the door and when the door shuts it automatically goes back up. Here in Maine it's not uncommon for my windows to be frozen in place by ice. Sometimes after an hour of driving the window will still be stuck. What happens when the Bronco's windows are frozen and you try to close the door? Will the window or seal be damaged?
That’s a great question. Other vehicles have this feature so it must’ve been considered but I’m curious to see what actually happens.

OP
OP

Despotes

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Will the door open if the window is frozen since the top of the window is gasketed into the roof seal?
Sponsored