Sponsored

Opening the doors and windows dropping...??

NotAnonymous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, as another who lives in the northern half of North America, I too have dealt with frozen doors and windows, but I've also never had a vehicle with indexing windows. Guess this is another thread I'll have to monitor because it seems to be a potential area of issue with the Bronco. I appreciate the thoughts here, especially from those who have dealt with that issue on other vehicles!
Sponsored

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You guys need to go spend a winter in Minnesota then. When it drops to -20 over night and the high during the day is 0... there was a record numbers of days where the temperatures literally never went above 0F... the coldest place on Earth
Hard pass. New England is plenty cold thanks no need to spend a winter on Hoth. 🤣

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The windows originally did not retract, but Ford added that feature after they found excessive damage to the seals. So I would assume that, while it does cause some damage, opening your doors like that a few times a year would not be an issue. Also I'm in Michigan and used to have that problem quite frequently but not with the remote start. Icy? Add an extra 10-15 minutes and it's going to be mostly melted. You can schedule starts on the app too.so you dont even have to think about it.

Bigmoose

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Flex Ecoboost Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've only experienced this once on my old mini cooper while living in MA. We had an ice storm and my driver window was a sheet of ice. I had to scrape it perfect along the bottom in order to get the window to go down when opening the door. Otherwise I couldn't get the door open.

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve been worried about the same thing (I’m in Buffalo, NY). The concern is valid: Model 3 Icing Issues

my solution will be to treat my windows with Prestone Ice and Frost Shield. But that’s only my backup plan. Since the rear gate doesn’t have the same seal setup, i’ll be keeping a can of deicing spray in the cargo area (and in my house) over the winter.

I live in Iowa & A can of deicer was exactly what I was thinking of using.

Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You guys need to go spend a winter in Minnesota then. When it drops to -20 over night and the high during the day is 0... You'll understand.

In 2014, in Duluth, there was a record numbers of days where the temperatures literally never went above 0F... Over 30 days. A couple weeks ago it was documented that the coldest place on Earth was the North American Midwest for a day.

The issue is this: It gets really f***ing cold in certain parts of the world. A couple inches of snow or freezing rain is not the issue. The problem is once you've finally warmed your car up inside, it's still -5 outside. So any frost, snow, etc that was frozen to your car like a brick is still there on the outside, but instead dripping along the windowsill. 10 minutes after you turn your car off and walk away, that moisture buildup has refrozen. You can bet it's bonded that window in place stronger than gorilla glue.

That month in Duluth I was referring to above? Yeah, there was days my car door was frozen shut. Took me 30 min just to open it. I'm sure others from similar climates can chime in with similar explanations and experiences.
Yep as someone who has spent weeks at a time up in the icebox- International Falls, MN, it’s a different kind of cold up there even different than what my home state of Iowa sees...

But I’m sure Ford has done plenty of cold weather testing for these issues..

pony2bronco

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Mustang has frameless doors and the same window movement. Never had a single issue with it, even living through Rochester, NY lake effect snow for 4 years. Hell, my favorite part of the morning was rolling them down and punching out the ice windows.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I think I’ve already told this story once before but old age prevents me from remembering! Back in the mid to late 70’s we had a 30 day stretch below zero. The hatch on my Mustang became my main entrance for a few weeks. That bad boy never froze. It’s always an option especially if your not an old man like me!

I think the auto start might be the best option for those of you getting an A10. Not so much for those of us getting the 7MT.

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had a WRX several years ago that had frameless doors. The windows did not move upon opening or shutting the doors, do I cannot give specific advice, but my doors did freeze shut on occasion.

I had to scrape the ice from around the edge just to get the door open. It only happened a few times, and although it was a minor annoyance, it wasn't anything that made me hate the vehicle.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it six months ago already?

Ford Bronco Opening the doors and windows dropping...?? giphy - 2021-02-28T101434.529

*don't worry, I'm too lazy to search for the thread where this has been discussed to death too.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Despotes

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is it six months ago already?

Ford Bronco Opening the doors and windows dropping...?? giphy - 2021-02-28T101434.529

*don't worry, I'm too lazy to search for the thread where this has been discussed to death too.
You are so awesome. We all should be as wise and as helpful.

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Of all the videos I've watched, only one briefly mentioned the window dropping slightly when opening the door and when the door shuts it automatically goes back up. Here in Maine it's not uncommon for my windows to be frozen in place by ice. Sometimes after an hour of driving the window will still be stuck. What happens when the Bronco's windows are frozen and you try to close the door? Will the window or seal be damaged?
The windows on my ATS coupe indexed like this. I never had a problem with the ice/snow of northern Indiana winters. Since the windows are frameless, there really isn't much to freeze them to. If you were to experience an issue, you could just take a rag and dry the area where the window contacts the rubber seal.

KatieB75

Badlands
First Name
Katie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have remote start this is never an issue.
Sponsored