Sponsored

Opening the doors and windows dropping...??

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking I saw a picture way back in the dark ages that the drop down arm rest of the 4 door has two holders on the back side.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Bought a car last summer with indexing windows. This winter in Chicago, several times the ice caused the windows to freeze, and the indexing was non-functioning. The doors still opened no problem, maybe a bit more effort. Upon closing, I don't recall if the window edges fit as nicely into the weather strip slot. None of this was a big deal for me, as I don't use the car much in winter anyway.

The issue isn't simply the top window edge freezing to the rubber weather strip, but also the window freezing to the lower door strip. Basically windows freeze and won't go down in my area, until sufficiently scraped or thawed out. Hopefully Ford has taken this into account in their design. The doors will need to function on occasion over winter, without the indexing function working.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Despotes

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Bought a car last summer with indexing windows. This winter in Chicago, several times the ice caused the windows to freeze, and the indexing was non-functioning. The doors still opened no problem, maybe a bit more effort. Upon closing, I don't recall if the window edges fit as nicely into the weather strip slot. None of this wasn't a big deal for me, as I don't use the car much in winter anyway.

The issue isn't simply the top window edge freezing to the rubber weather strip, but also the window freezing to the lower door strip. Basically windows freeze and won't go down in my area, until sufficiently scraped or thawed out. Hopefully Ford has taken this into account in their design. The doors will need to function on occasion over winter, without the indexing function working.
Exactly. The lower edge builds up a thick layer of ice and an hour of driving doesn't even thaw it out. In fact ice built up after an hour of driving. After work I went through the drive thru at the bank, but had to open the door to speak to the teller lol. I'm just hoping opening and closing the door won't do any damage if the window gets stuck on the Bronco.

noahr

Black Diamond
First Name
Noah @ Mullinax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Of all the videos I've watched, only one briefly mentioned the window dropping slightly when opening the door and when the door shuts it automatically goes back up. Here in Maine it's not uncommon for my windows to be frozen in place by ice. Sometimes after an hour of driving the window will still be stuck. What happens when the Bronco's windows are frozen and you try to close the door? Will the window or seal be damaged?
loads of models do that mustang being one that comes to mind, hot water is a cure all, but then again I'm just a florida man who occasionally visits his family in vermont and can't wait to get back to the palm trees and sunshine lol.

Sponsored

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never had a vehicle with indexing windows, but I have had door latches and locks freeze up. I'd say make sure you get remote start and the vehicle can heat up while you're spending 10 minutes de-icing the rest of the outside then you should have no issues. You could also keep a can of quick de-icer around and spray it around the window seals.

skiptheroad

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
loads of models do that mustang being one that comes to mind, hot water is a cure all, but then again I'm just a florida man who occasionally visits his family in vermont and can't wait to get back to the palm trees and sunshine lol.
Never pour hot water on a frozen window, doing so will crack the glass.

Hamhands

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The window is going to tear away from the weather stripping when you open the doors and pop your ears when you have to slam the last door shut.

Sponsored

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

MA here. Plenty of freezing rain... just this past week in fact. We have a BMW with frameless doors and moving windows.

We never experience this problem. Windows roll down no problem getting in... there’s not enough friction on the glass for the ice to hold it in place. And even if it continued to be a problem from the weather while driving, once the car warms up, the windows are clear from that point forward.

Honestly, how are people finding this to be a problem? I wonder how our scenarios differ.
The problem is getting into the car in the first place...

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’ve been worried about the same thing (I’m in Buffalo, NY). The concern is valid: Model 3 Icing Issues

my solution will be to treat my windows with Prestone Ice and Frost Shield. But that’s only my backup plan. Since the rear gate doesn’t have the same seal setup, i’ll be keeping a can of deicing spray in the cargo area (and in my house) over the winter.
Woot - shout out to Buffalo. Only the strong survive. And the city of good neighbors indeed!

Be nice to your neighbor in June, because in January you’ll be needing his help to push your car out of a snow bank. :)

Have a Super Mighty and a beef on weck for me. I’m too dang far away.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been worried about the same. Plenty of times, my windows have been frozen in place and require a few up/down attempts to break them free.

Freezing rain, you really need to put your back into it to open the doors.

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Up here in igloo land we wipe the weatherstrips clean and silicone spray them every wash,never a problem.