Sponsored

Opinion on how these Infinity Reference speakers sound?

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Purchased 4 of these to replace the 4” in front and rear. This is on a stock system, not B&O, and will not have an amp powering. Looking for someone who has installed these without amp and how they sound…anything better I should consider for more clean and pure sound?
May also consider installing a powered sub in rear.

2B8DA323-3EBF-482E-96AD-FDBB1DAFF83F.jpeg
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did first without and amp and now with an amp. My observations-

1. Significant improvement in clarity of sound.
2. Slightly more volume (lower impedance and more efficient speaker, so that was expected).
3. I added "bass blockers" at 300hz and that helped allow them a bit more volume without distortion.
4. They are "bright" sounding off the windshield. Not overpowering, but may be great or not, depending on your preference.
5. I have had an intermittent buzzing from the right front. Infinity (Harman/JBL) is warrantying them and I will move them to the rear pods.

Current state- I ordered a dash upgrade, Kicker 47KSC404. They will go in Wednesday when they arrive. Now that I have the amp and added aftermarket Kicker 6.5' in the kick panels, I wanted something with a textile dome tweeter (less "bright" hopefully) and a bit more power handling.

It is really good now, but still will be adding an sub and additional or different amp as a next step.

BronkedUp413

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Volvo S-60, 13 Ford Fusion, 16 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

2. Slightly more volume (lower impedance and more efficient speaker, so that was expected).
3. I added "bass blockers" at 300hz and that helped allow them a bit more volume without distortion.
4. They are "bright" sounding off the windshield. Not overpowering, but may be great or not, depending on your preference.
5. I have had an intermittent buzzing from the right front. Infinity (Harman/JBL) is warrantying them and I will move them to the rear pods.

Current state- I ordered a dash upgrade, Kicker 47KSC404. They will go in Wednesday when they arrive. Now that I have the amp and added aftermarket Kicker 6.5' in the kick panels, I wanted something with a textile dome tweeter (less "bright" hopefully) and a bit more power handling.

It is really good now, but still will be adding an sub and additional or different amp as a next step.
The above 1-4 is pretty much my impression. I did the 4 speaker upgrade myself and thought here was a very noticeable improvement, and well worth the 120-130 bucks total or so it cost. I used 300hz blockers in front as well. That being said, I now think I need to add a small powered sub, not to rattle the glass or anything but just to improve bass and ensure the system will sound/feel decent with the top off in the summer. I am not going to tackle that and will have a local shop do it, most likely with the small Kenwood or JBL nano mini sub mentioned other threads.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Better route in your opinion…
Replace all 6 speakers and add amp to power (no sub, only bass from 6.5” speakers)
Replace only the 4” speaker and add powered 8” sub (no amp for speakers)

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The above 1-4 is pretty much my impression. I did the 4 speaker upgrade myself and thought here was a very noticeable improvement, and well worth the 120-130 bucks total or so it cost. I used 300hz blockers in front as well. That being said, I now think I need to add a small powered sub, not to rattle the glass or anything but just to improve bass and ensure the system will sound/feel decent with the top off in the summer. I am not going to tackle that and will have a local shop do it, most likely with the small Kenwood or JBL nano mini sub mentioned other threads.
You replaced the 4 4” speakers with the Infinity Reference and no amp? Good clarity and clear when loud?

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Better route in your opinion…
Replace all 6 speakers and add amp to power (no sub, only bass from 6.5” speakers)
If you want to hear it with the top down/off I would suggest speakers/amp. Top on, probably dash speakers and sub would sound the best, with volume still being an issue, but passable. Even with 75 watts per channel, the 4"/6" combo lacks bass. When I turn the high pass x-over on in the amp, the 6"/4" combo is really awesome, but I loose everything below 85hz, thus one more upgrade on the horizon. I have tried each step independently because it's fun and I have so many other hobbies to spend $ on, I have to stretch out time between projects.

BronkedUp413

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You replaced the 4 4” speakers with the Infinity Reference and no amp? Good clarity and clear when loud?
Yes, I did not switch out the kick panels, at least not yet. Its clear up to about 18 volume, which is plenty loud with the top on. Bass obviously lacking though. Most other threads suggested that you didn't get much bang fir the buck switching out the kick panel speakers if you weren't adding an amp/sub, so I left them and may consider replacing them down the line.

Somewhat related...the audio source obviously affects the quality of the sound quite a bit. Satellite radio is horrible quality (although I do keep a subscription in my other car for convenience). Music streamed from my phone or via spotify, even using bluetooth, was much better/clearer and handled higher volumes.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I did not switch out the kick panels, at least not yet. Its clear up to about 18 volume, which is plenty loud with the top on. Bass obviously lacking though. Most other threads suggested that you didn't get much bang fir the buck switching out the kick panel speakers if you weren't adding an amp/sub, so I left them and may consider replacing them down the line.

Somewhat related...the audio source obviously affects the quality of the sound quite a bit. Satellite radio is horrible quality (although I do keep a subscription in my other car for convenience). Music streamed from my phone or via spotify, even using bluetooth, was much better/clearer and handled higher volumes.
That's a great point, Sirius compresses the signal so severely it's really awful. I primarily listen to other sources, with Apple Music, sampled at middle of the road rates, sounding much better than anything else I have tried. I almost flipped when I first upgraded the amp and kick panel speakers. Switched sources and was very happy with the result!

Sponsored

BronkedUp413

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's a great point, Sirius compresses the signal so severely it's really awful. I primarily listen to other sources, with Apple Music, sampled at middle of the road rates, sounding much better than anything else I have tried. I almost flipped when I first upgraded the amp and kick panel speakers. Switched sources and was very happy with the result!
Even the SiriusXM App, with setting set to high quality for streaming, sounds 10 times better than the actual satellite signal.

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m thinking the following will be the best way to go if I want a noticeable difference and complete sound. I listen to mainly Grateful Dead and Phish so having a system that rattles the mirrors isn’t my end goal.
I have yet to find a 6.5” kicker that can produce any bass

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What amount of ohms should I be targeting in 4”?

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What amount of ohms should I be targeting in 4”?
You'll want 4 ohm speakers. I originally was running the Infinity References in the dash but replaced them with the Alpine S40s - I don't know if it's the factory amplifier, but the Infinity speakers seemed to be a tad dull in the mids/highs. S40s have a nice airiness to the top end which lets a bunch more detail through. I'm adding a Kicker Key to my setup, so I may revisit after that's installed to compare. I still have the Infinitys in the rear pods though, as they make for a good rear fill option.

OP
OP
Brock9281

Brock9281

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You'll want 4 ohm speakers. I originally was running the Infinity References in the dash but replaced them with the Alpine S40s - I don't know if it's the factory amplifier, but the Infinity speakers seemed to be a tad dull in the mids/highs. S40s have a nice airiness to the top end which lets a bunch more detail through. I'm adding a Kicker Key to my setup, so I may revisit after that's installed to compare. I still have the Infinitys in the rear pods though, as they make for a good rear fill option.
Are you going to install sub?
Sponsored