Sponsored

Opinion: Will the 2020 ford bronco be a partnership with rivian?

Will the bronco come in an electric variant?

• Total voters

nlfisher17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I wanna know if anyone else thinks this or am I just an idiot. Lately I’ve been wondering if the 2020 ford bronco will be offered in an electric drivetrain or will it at least have plans to be in the future. At first it seems absurd but looking at the similarities too many things seem to be the same. Both the rivian r1t and the the ford bronco are launching in 2020. As almost everyone knows by now ford invested 500 million into rivian. The rivian is known to come in an suv and a truck variant and the bronco is rumoured to. To me the design mock-up of the bronco looks very similar to that of the rivian. Does anyone else think this could be a possibility? Prove me wrong.

367A90E0-94FE-4210-87E2-FB302470A0D0.jpeg

D3B1B49A-80C6-4533-8C7C-7955975EB37C.jpeg
Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think it is a possibility, I’m not sure how strong of one however, but possible.

Look at how long Ford and Mazda shared stuff in the 90’s (granted Ford had more of a stake in Mazda at that time then they do now in Rivian).

That said Rivian is looking to be more of a luxury electric truck company. Sharing much with Ford would cheapen their identity or even possibly steal some of their client base.

The looks of the two trucks is at best coincidental.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not full electric, not without totally redesigning it.

It will probably get a pancake hybrid like the Explorer and Aviator.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not full electric, not without totally redesigning it.

It will probably get a pancake hybrid like the Explorer and Aviator.
My thoughts as well. They've already said they are planning a hybrid variant. I don't see making a fully electric version being a good idea. Possibly if there is a next generation.

Also while they have similar proportions, the Rivian and Bronco are not anywhere near compatible with each other, the Rivian uses the now standard EV 'skateboard' design, and the Bronco is presumably set up for a combustion engine with conventional transmission etc. Completely different architectures. Ford might use Rivian's skateboard for something, but I am VERY skeptical it will have anything to do with the Bronco, again, at least for this generation.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Will the 2020 ford bronco be a partnership with rivian?

No.

Will the bronco come in an electric variant?

With the understanding that "words matter", not anytime soon. Electric indicates a plug-in electric model with no internal combustion engine. If I'm not mistaken, I believe Ford has stated outright that they intend to have a hybrid model Bronco. But an unlikely Bronco-bodied Rivian collaboration or a Rivian-style plug-in electric Bronco would be some ways out timewise if ever.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think not. But, if I'm wrong I do hope the Bronco doesn't look anything like a Rivian. Jeez, that thing has a face only a mother could love.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes, 2 individual electric motors for the front wheels.