First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At what intervals did you rotate to see the 20%? Do radials not have to turn the same direction anymore or did they never have to? Looking at Tire Racks direction to rotate the spare, it would have them turn both directions. Thanks.
They do not need to rotate the same direction unless they are a directional tire.
Sponsored

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
How many miles a year are you driving?

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Worked in a Sears Auto center for 2 years while in school. Customers asked about this now and then. If within the normal first rotation recommendation in the owners manual, fine. But if the tires had like 20K miles on them and the spare had zero, don't do it. The 'new' tire will be fractionally taller then the old one on the opposite side. This can cause extra mechanical ware and handling issues. Also the spare has not been broken in so extra care would be needed the first few hundred miles. The more senior guys always said no don't do it. I have seen people wno needed new tires just buy 3 and use the spare as the 4th and then use an old tire as the spare. If the tire is not dried out, OK, but I don't do it. To me the spare is just that, a spare. Do put some aire in it now and then. Better safe than save a few hundred bucks.
This, to me, is exactly the rationale to DO the 5 tire rotation….want all 5 to have roughly the same wear and thus height/circumference to mitigate the mechanical stress and handling issues should the spare be pressed into service.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
At what intervals did you rotate to see the 20%? Do radials not have to turn the same direction anymore or did they never have to? Looking at Tire Racks direction to rotate the spare, it would have them turn both directions. Thanks.

I rotated at 5K miles. Doesn't matter if you rotate at 3k, 5k, or 10k. If you are putting a fifth tire into the mix you are gaining 20% tread life on all tires. And only directional tires need to rotate in the same direction.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This, to me, is exactly the rationale to DO the 5 tire rotation….want all 5 to have roughly the same wear and thus height/circumference to mitigate the mechanical stress and handling issues should the spare be pressed into service.
Especially if using all wheel drive.
The sun will ruin the spare.
Rotated my spare every other oil change.
My 72 Bronco is kept in garage no dry rot tread worn around the same and

20 years old.

Sponsored

overisland

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Tesla model Y
Your Bronco Model
Base
I lived in Hawaii for a while with a fleet of Jeep rentals and like others have mentioned the sun will jack up your spare.

I saved this pic in my phone about 7 years ago and favorited it because I can't for the life of me remember the rotation sequence. I always 5 tire rotate my Jeep's and will also do so with my Bronco's, every 5k miles. Plus it spreads around the rim rash from constant Moab trips, gotta look cool pulling into Whole Foods

IMG-0083.jpg

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Living in AZ most of my life and 11 years of that without a garage in Phoenix, sun is a tire’s enemy. These pictures were from my 3/4 ton truck after 3.5 years in Phoenix. I do advocate for a 5 tire rotation, but when I was in the desert I replaced all 5 at 4 years regardless of tread remaining. It’s a little more expensive, but my safety is worth it.

Ford Bronco Opinions on 5 tire rotation? I'm torn. A1775E04-E16D-491D-A3D1-3B48D89115E6

Ford Bronco Opinions on 5 tire rotation? I'm torn. 56147844-8A31-434F-BD0C-49C0A326426B

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the 20 percent more life in all tires holds true, your new tire bill will be 20 percent higher because you are buying five tires instead of four. I don’t see where you gain anything Except having a half worn out tire hanging on the back. I’m good either way, I’ll probably rotate it in, in case I decide to change tire brands or size.

OP
OP
Amcole1984

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Living in AZ most of my life and 11 years of that without a garage in Phoenix, sun is a tire’s enemy. These pictures were from my 3/4 ton truck after 3.5 years in Phoenix. I do advocate for a 5 tire rotation, but when I was in the desert I replaced all 5 at 4 years regardless of tread remaining. It’s a little more expensive, but my safety is worth it.

Ford Bronco Opinions on 5 tire rotation? I'm torn. 56147844-8A31-434F-BD0C-49C0A326426B

Me being in Tx, it's the same thing. The blistering sun destroys everything. I park in the garage at home, but it's out in the open during my 12 hours shifts at work.

Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I lived in Hawaii for a while with a fleet of Jeep rentals and like others have mentioned the sun will jack up your spare.

I saved this pic in my phone about 7 years ago and favorited it because I can't for the life of me remember the rotation sequence. I always 5 tire rotate my Jeep's and will also do so with my Bronco's, every 5k miles. Plus it spreads around the rim rash from constant Moab trips, gotta look cool pulling into Whole Foods

As long as you do it the same way every time, it honestly doesn't matter how you rotate them IMO.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I called 5-6 of the dealerships in town and they found mostly clueless about this. I have to debate if I want to bitch and moan until they do it. Or if I just want to do it myself.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A tire under your truck or on the back of the vehicle is going to be reach the end of its life at some point. The sun and water are going to wear it at some rate similar to your your tires. I’ve had a blowout from a spare tire. I’d just switch it out.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the 20 percent more life in all tires holds true, your new tire bill will be 20 percent higher because you are buying five tires instead of four. I don’t see where you gain anything Except having a half worn out tire hanging on the back. I’m good either way, I’ll probably rotate it in, in case I decide to change tire brands or size.
Even if you don’t swap in the spare tire, it won’t last forever. The heat can play a factor as one example. You will need to replace it, however it may be at a longer interval.

I plan on doing a 5 tire rotation regularly.

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got my 2 inch level kit and 35in tires installed yesterday ( will post pics later once the sun is out). I had planned on doing 5 tire rotations, but the owner at the shop specifically said not to do them and to keep the spare new for as long as possible. What do you guys plan to do, and why?
Rotate the spare in. Keeps all the tires close in size at they wear down. No benefit in trying to save the spare.
Sponsored