Sponsored

Options for shocks that aren't as harsh as the Sasquatch ones?

OP
OP

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since this post has been resurrected, I’ll follow up. It’s been 6 months, and I’ve put nearly 11k miles on my bronco. Things have definitely improved. Much more compliant ride. I also reduced air pressure to about 34psi for daily driving. Love how it rides now
Sponsored

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also weird... I've had bilstein 6100's for almost a year now on my Badlands and always found them to ride better on road, absorb bumps better and yet corner and brake better as well.... I run 35-37 psi.

The BEAST!

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 door Bronco Big Bend Advanced/Sasquatch 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is weird to me that so many people here are saying SAS shocks are soft on the road. My initial impression when I drove mine off the lot and on the street that it was a harsher ride than my 2016 VW GTI on lowering springs, my Audi TT on sport mode magride, and every other car I've ever owned or driven. I inspected it to make sure there were no shipping pucks or anything overlooked from the PDI.

My analysis is that it's specifically high speed compression/rebound that is over dampened. Like the small cracks and bumps in the road are amplified. The shocks seem great going slow and offroad. Sadly getting multi-adjustment shocks is way out of my budget.
From my experience it seems that the spring rate in the rear end is too high. At least it is on my 2 door Bronco. Speed bumps and washboard roads cause the rear end to buck and sometimes even slide out slightly. They need a lesser spring rate in back.

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
From my experience it seems that the spring rate in the rear end is too high. At least it is on my 2 door Bronco. Speed bumps and washboard roads cause the rear end to buck and sometimes even slide out slightly. They need a lesser spring rate in back.
Totally agree. Far too much jump and jolt felt over every little road imperfection on my stock Hitachi suspension on my 2 door. Not sure of the best way to correct it.

Eibach coilovers are highly regarded here. The thought of dropping a bunch of money on those - and then crossing my fingers and hoping that the ride gets smoother doesn’t leave me feeling great. It would be nice if there were lower rate springs to swap out.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

YES ... less air in your tires will make it ride softer BUT less air will also reduce rolling resistance. Ever ride a bicycle with no air in the tires?
Don't you mean increase!

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is weird to me that so many people here are saying SAS shocks are soft on the road. My initial impression when I drove mine off the lot and on the street that it was a harsher ride than my 2016 VW GTI on lowering springs, my Audi TT on sport mode magride, and every other car I've ever owned or driven. I inspected it to make sure there were no shipping pucks or anything overlooked from the PDI.

My analysis is that it's specifically high speed compression/rebound that is over dampened. Like the small cracks and bumps in the road are amplified. The shocks seem great going slow and offroad. Sadly getting multi-adjustment shocks is way out of my budget.
I think what you are describing is progressive valving, which keeps the soft suspension stable during cornering, starts, stops and small bumps but allows for big bumps, etc. to be soaked up quickly, it's sort of what Bilstein is know for...

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I like a good resurrection. This one took a bit longer then three days though.

Base model shocks: street shocks, more of a blend toward streets and soft, do not do well with adding weight or soaking up high speed whoops.

Sasquatch/Badlands shocks: Blend of street and off-road, can take heavier loads, firm but handle well enough. I liken to a truck like ride. Rear can be stiff due to anticipation of y’all’s heavy ass overland setups lol.

Most after market shocks in the low to medium end will be all over the board depending on valving and springs. 4WP will be enjoyable on the street but work very well off-road. Some people like 6100’s, some people hate em. It’s all a preference. (They really need to offer a ride before buy haha). Same with Eibach, it’s really hard to gauge a shock based on someone else’s opinion because we ALL have a different one. Plus my Bronco on Eibach is going to ride different then yours on Eibachs.

Icon has a very smooth ride but quality is 50/50. Good warranty though. Popular choice though IMO expensive.

King and Fox (ADS) are performance shocks for off-roading. They are stiff and should be stiff. It’s a performance off-road shock, not a street shock. I daily mine though and love it. But I understand I don’t drive a Bentley. I spend a great deal of time driving fast off-road and jumping so it’s worth it to me. On my Jeep I have a cheap set of Bilsteins cause it’s just a rock crawler. I don’t care about hitting whoops cause I don’t do it

That being said, all aftermarket shocks are targeting a certain average for their valving, spring rates and size. When people are buying coilovers they are typically adding a lot of weight as well in other areas. Bigger tires are usually part of the equation as well.

After market shocks are like a fine suit. Made of high quality material but need to be tailored to your style and needs.

Enter shock tuning.

90% of people that casually off-road do not need more then the Sasquatch but if they want to change it up a bit will absolutely LOVE the 4WP coilover setup. Ability to adjust and tune while keeping an overall supple ride and also allowing for running 37’s in the future if desired. They are robust too.

A loooot of people buy super expensive, performance shocks designed for tackling whoops at 70 mph thinking they will get magic on-road quality and feel and are left disappointed with a $6,000 hole in their pocket wondering what’s wrong with their Kings.

Suspension also settles with time. My Kings took 1000 miles to break in and soften up a bit. I jumped em 6 times in a row to help speed it up;)

And of course, all this time spent dialing in your shock setup is useless if you’re riding at the top end of your setup with preload jacked all the way up. Dial in everything together.

ALSO, if you’re looking for travel, keep in mind that there is next to NO difference between Kings and 4WP coilovers in travel. Not gonna get into the weeds on why but it’s not. If you want more travel then go Jeep, long arm or remove your front axle shafts.

MNBronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think what you are describing is progressive valving, which keeps the soft suspension stable during cornering, starts, stops and small bumps but allows for big bumps, etc. to be soaked up quickly, it's sort of what Bilstein is know for...
No- Bilsteins are digressive:
"Bilstein's patented digressive valving allows shock absorbers to instantly react to changing surface conditions, giving you a stable, controlled, and comfortable ride. Digressive valving is the opposite of progressive valving"

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love it when people buy a truck based off road vehicle and expect it to ride and handle like a high dollar luxury sedan.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Totally agree. Far too much jump and jolt felt over every little road imperfection on my stock Hitachi suspension on my 2 door. Not sure of the best way to correct it.

Eibach coilovers are highly regarded here. The thought of dropping a bunch of money on those - and then crossing my fingers and hoping that the ride gets smoother doesn’t leave me feeling great. It would be nice if there were lower rate springs to swap out.
See my DM response. @popo_patty basically nailed it with the descriptions. The one big change going from the OBX factory suspension to a properly matched Badlands suspension (2d 2.7 lux with tow) was that front end dive was significantly reduced on my OBX after the change. As far as overall front end weight difference between the differential and the sway bar disconnect, my winch is about an equal trade in weight.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No- Bilsteins are digressive:
"Bilstein's patented digressive valving allows shock absorbers to instantly react to changing surface conditions, giving you a stable, controlled, and comfortable ride. Digressive valving is the opposite of progressive valving"
Ah yes, my mistake, but the effect is what I mentioned…

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I love it when people buy a truck based off road vehicle and expect it to ride and handle like a high dollar luxury sedan.
I’ve owned many trucks and SUVs, most body on frame. 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Tahoe, Yukon, Silverado. Every one has been far more comfortable on road than the Bronco. No, they don’t ride like Lincoln town cars on the road. But they were comfortable.

I love the Bronco. I wish it had better on road smoothness. I might be the lone guy on the forum that drives on paved roads every day. Maybe the rest of y’all live on the side of mountains and have to fjord over great mountain streams to make it home each evening.

I kinda doubt it though 😂

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’d like my off road SUV to not bounce over small imperfections that my lowered GTI would cruise over.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ah yes, my mistake, but the effect is what I mentioned…
Right, the Bilsteins are widely known for their digressive valving which makes for a firmer ride on small transitions... In the Jeep world we used to say that with Bilsteins, if you run over a quarter, you can feel whether it's heads or tails.

Nobody has put the OEM Squatch Billies on a shock dyno that I have seen to know whether they follow the standard Bilstein digressive damping curve or not. 5100's are their most digressive and 6100's are a little better, but still not plush compared to a number of other shocks.

The Eibachs are linear and that's a common curve for a Bronco, and they do ride pretty well, but you are stuck with lift as they don't make a stock height shock.

Probably the best option for a progressive valved shock at stock height is the Rancho's.
Sponsored