Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ford Bronco Oracle Lighting Spare Tire LED 3rd Brake Light install + demo video on Bronco Raptor IMG_9368

Got the Oracle Lighting LED 3rd Brake light install completed. Very happy with the results. It does take some modification to be optimal in fit. But I do think it is well worth the effort and $80. Full details and demo in video. I do not miss the OEM Center brake light in my rear view mirror - at all. I recommend it just for that alone. But this really does look fantastic.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Aviator

Aviator

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
are these technically road legal? not looking to give a cop any excuse to pull me over
From what I could discern (not a lawyer here), yes, they appear to be. I think the most important thing is to not get one that flashes, and plays “blinker” etc. From talking to an unnamed Ford rep on the subject, since the light couldn’t be designed into the roof - the pylon over the wheel is a solution that allows spare tires to be covered by owner (you could also have a “steelie” rim that would not allow light to pass from behind). Again, not a lawyer - and I would look up your local state inspection rules, like the Texas one I found below. Michigan doesn’t have state inspections So easier here. And, of course, save the assembly in case you got a “fix-it” ticket. Most states, these type of things are not moving violations, have no “points” and you just have to remedy.

The NHTSA site states this; “Under the Federal regulations in the United States, motor vehicles must be manufactured so that the third brake light (or "center highmounted stop lamp" as we call it) and all other stop lamps are steady-burning when they are in use.

After the vehicle is sold, Federal law prohibits any manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or motor vehicle repair business from installing the sensor to modify the performance of the third brake light and cause it to flash.

also this quote, “S5.5.10(d) requires all other lamps to be wired to be steady burning, thus including all stop lamps. Standard No. 108 does not allow a stop lamp that pulses, and a vehicle with a stop lamp that pulses does not meet Federal requirements.”

Other sites I found other similar guidance:

“Federal law mandates that all vehicles have the third brake light outfitted within the car. Additionally, the third light must be comparable to the other brake lights on the vehicle so that it is not distracting to the drivers behind the vehicle.”

And from Texas’s State Inspection Guidelines - inspection FAQ link, regarding position (must be between 15-72 inches height)

The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp on my vehicle broke and was re-installed on the bottom of the bumper, will this fail inspection?
Yes, this will be cause it to fail inspection. The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp must not be mounted less than 15 inches, nor more than 72 inches.

Last edited:

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I could discern (not a lawyer here), yes, they appear to be. I think the most important thing is to not get one that flashes, and plays “blinker” etc. From talking to an unnamed Ford rep on the subject, since the light couldn’t be designed into the roof - the pylon over the wheel is a solution that allows spare tires to be covered by owner (you could also have a “steelie” rim that would not allow light to pass from behind). Again, not a lawyer - and I would look up your local state inspection rules, like the Texas one I found below. Michigan doesn’t have state inspections So easier here. And, of course, save the assembly in case you got a “fix-it” ticket. Most states, these type of things are not moving violations, have no “points” and you just have to remedy.

The NHTSA site states this; “Under the Federal regulations in the United States, motor vehicles must be manufactured so that the third brake light (or "center highmounted stop lamp" as we call it) and all other stop lamps are steady-burning when they are in use.

After the vehicle is sold, Federal law prohibits any manufacturer, dealer, distributor, or motor vehicle repair business from installing the sensor to modify the performance of the third brake light and cause it to flash.

also this quote, “S5.5.10(d) requires all other lamps to be wired to be steady burning, thus including all stop lamps. Standard No. 108 does not allow a stop lamp that pulses, and a vehicle with a stop lamp that pulses does not meet Federal requirements.”

“Federal law mandates that all vehicles have the third brake light outfitted within the car. Additionally, the third light must be comparable to the other brake lights on the vehicle so that it is not distracting to the drivers behind the vehicle.”

And from Texas’s State Inspection Guidelines - inspection FAQ link, regarding position (must be between 15-72 inches height)

The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp on my vehicle broke and was re-installed on the bottom of the bumper, will this fail inspection?
Yes, this will be cause it to fail inspection. The Center High Mounted Stop Lamp must not be mounted less than 15 inches, nor more than 72 inches.
Another thing to consider is the light output - too little or too much could be illegal too.

That being said, most cops have bigger issues they focus on. But something to be aware of at least.

OP
OP
Aviator

Aviator

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Another thing to consider is the light output - too little or too much could be illegal too.

That being said, most cops have bigger issues they focus on. But something to be aware of at least.
Agreed. That’s covered in those quotes under; “light must be comparable to the other brake lights on the vehicle so that it is not distracting to the drivers behind the vehicle”.

This light is a very good match. It looks like something that could be factory. I would avoid the strobing, flashing, pulsing and turn-signal styles - if it looks like something that would be featured on the back of a car from Fast and Furious 10, take a pass.

Sponsored

bronK1TT

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium w/ Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wish someone made a diffused version of this lamp, I hate the individual LED look on the tire light but I love the concept

JP_Oracle

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Oracle Lighting Spare Tire LED 3rd Brake Light install + demo video on Bronco Raptor IMG_9368

Got the Oracle Lighting LED 3rd Brake light install completed. Very happy with the results. It does take some modification to be optimal in fit. But I do think it is well worth the effort and $80. Full details and demo in video. I do not miss the OEM Center brake light in my rear view mirror - at all. I recommend it just for that alone. But this really does look fantastic.

Great video! Thanks for the feedback!

blacksapphirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you selling your stock Raptor lights? :)

OP
OP
Aviator

Aviator

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great video! Thanks for the feedback!
Thank you! Very appreciated!
I wish someone made a diffused version of this lamp, I hate the individual LED look on the tire light but I love the concept
Definitely could be nice for the standard bronco. Where the individual LEDs work perfectly on the Raptor..
you selling your stock Raptor lights? :)
No, as I mentioned in the video, I recommend saving the assembly in case you wanted to trade or sell your Raptor and then future buyer wanted the OEM - or if you ever had a state inspection issue relating to not using the factory set up.

g33na

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250, Scion tC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video and thanks for the info!
I live in Texas and was considering buying a 3rd brake light that pulses for left/right signals. After reading your post, looks like I'll be getting the Oracle one instead.

OP
OP
Aviator

Aviator

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Great video and thanks for the info!
I live in Texas and was considering buying a 3rd brake light that pulses for left/right signals. After reading your post, looks like I'll be getting the Oracle one instead.
Thanks for the feedback!
Sponsored