Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

After a year on my 4dr Big Bend's stock tires (255/75 R17 Dueler AT) I ordered the new Toyo Open Country R/T TRAIL tires. Size 255/80 R17. They're coming soon to my Ford dealer (using Ford points and the black Friday deal). I'm comfortable with all the aspects of the change, except their E rating. That's all you can get in the size I want.

Honestly I've been very happy with the stock Dueler tires. I've got 12,000 miles on them, much of it off road in Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico....very rocky, hard trails. They've been fine, and are quiet on the highway. Never been stuck. I get 23.5 MPG and the 2.3 liter engine is peppy. I know I'm giving up a lot of these things with a bigger, E rated tire. What I'm hoping to gain is a little lift. The new tires are 1" taller. I don't like wide, I'm going stock width.

I'm reading up on airing them properly, sounds like they'll be at about 35 PSI or lower to give a good ride. I'm wondering if anyone else has gone up in size just 1", and to a E rating that can report their feel for ride, MPG? How about anyone who has ordered the new A/T Trails?
Sponsored

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These look pretty nice in pics and in specs. Looks like they have a 315/70R17 in a D rating (the size I'm looking to upgrade to). Let us know if they throw rocks or not, please.

Ford Bronco Ordered Toyo Open Country R/T TRAIL tires 1669127117905

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Will do. I have mostly rocks and gravel roads here (Arizona). Hence the reason to keep the 255 width. I think having more clearance by 1/2" is more important than having a wider, heavier, tire. And I won't get as many rock dings. That's the idea anyway.

I wanted a little "bigger" look too, of course. But I have scraped the bottom of the Bronco a few times, and last weekend drove onto a dry lakebed, having to drive over bushes and such, scraping. Don't want to do a lift, I like stock.

On the "toughness" of an E rating, I've only had a flat 2-3 times in 33 years of very rough driving in the Southwest. Crossing gravel rivers, going to old mines, etc. Never had a mesquite thorn puncture. I just figure I'm getting older, don't WANT a flat, and will keep driving into more and more isolated places with this Bronco, compared to my last truck.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd take the slight drop in winter for the slight rise in off-road since I'll be saving my KO2s for winter duty until they wear out. These numbers look good to me:

Ford Bronco Ordered Toyo Open Country R/T TRAIL tires 1669128093818

Ocnorb

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2-door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey OP, it's been a while! How are you liking these tires?

Sponsored

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have been seriously looking at these but in the end I think Iā€™m going to go with the AT3, they have them in. ā€œCā€ load range and are a whole lot lighter then the R/Tā€™s or M/Tā€™s. But these R/T trails look really good on the Bronco.

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey OP, it's been a while! How are you liking these tires?
I have liked these tires a lot. No complaints, they are very good in all the conditions I drive in. Have done a lot of very rough, rocky trails which are the main condition in southern Arizona. Been in deep sand in New Mexico, have never worried about the tires getting punctured. I got the E rated ones. They are very tough.
The ride is fine, I laugh at all the people that say E-rated is too solid or will ride rough. No, not to me. On pavement I didn't notice much difference when I went from the soft, cushiony factory tires. On rough roads you can feel the bumps - it's a rough rood. When you air them down to 18 or so, they are soft and fine.
I bought tires to never have to worry about flats on ancient mining trails, crossing sharp rocky scree, and cactus spines everywhere. These do that and have an agressive tread for any sand or mud you may fine in the Southwest. I don't have snow down here.
The RT Trail give you about the most agressive, solid tire you can get without going to a loud, roaring knobby full RT. These are quiet.

My gas milage went down about 2 MPG with them. I keep them aired up at about 34 lbs on pavement.

They weigh only 2 lbs more than the AT III in my size. 52 vs 50 lbs. That's not much difference, for a much tougher tire.
Sponsored

Last edited: