Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey Guys,

I will be placing my order on Monday for the 4 door Badlands. I, eventually, want both a Soft top and MIC. I think, never owned a soft top.

I am considering ordering the vehicle with a soft top, and ordering a MIC top from parts after the dust has settled later. I know it is more expensive that way. I would prefer to get the vehicle sooner if possible to avoid the possibility of Ford discontinuing Cyber Orange. However, who knows when they will be available for order separately. If I only were able to get one top it would be MIC.

Here is my question. What would you guys do? I know it is a personal decision. But, if you were in my shoes how would you approach it? I am sure there are things to consider that I am missing.

Thank you.
Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you know you will absolutley want both, I would go with the cheaper option from the factory. Then see the aftermarket has to offer for your 2nd top.

RClark82

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F150, 2008 F150, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought Ford had paused ordering? Are you converting a current reservation to an order?

OP
OP
Scape Goat

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought Ford had paused ordering? Are you converting a current reservation to an order?
Forgot to specify. Yes I am. Hope I didn't miss the boat.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted dual tops because I could not decide, also never had a vehicle like this. When they took dual away I switched to hard top because I wanted to be sure I get the wiring and plumbing for the wiper/washer in the back. Once they offered the 'hard top prep kit' for free with soft top I switched immediately and got my vin 3 weeks later, been driving my soft top since Oct 8th and could not be happier. The weather here is still great, it's so easy to flip two levers and toss the main part of the roof back, I'd NEVER do that every day with the hard top panels, I know myself.

Security is exactly the same too, if you consider that the vast majority of cars that get broken into have a hard steel top. Just don't leave anything in the car. And if someone slices a window, a bit of clear packing tape fixes that until I get a new one from my insurance, don't need to tape cardboard or something in the open hole and no glass to vacuum out of the car either.

Personally I also could not care less about the Bronco Wave windows in rear that some get all twisted about, whole roof adds to the retro look IMO. I also don't care what others think, I'm just enjoying the open roof and the blue sky and sun. I'd say go for it.

but be prepared for cost, I'd bet you're look at at the very least $3000 for either top down the road, most likely quite a bit more. Once they are sold as parts. Personally I'd budget $5k. Not that I think I'll ever buy a hard top, now that I have experienced how fun and easy the soft top is. I haven't even taken the rear windows out yet to fold it all the way down, didn't see the point of that yet.

Sponsored

talbot

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr BL AMB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From what I understand ordering a hard top after the fact will be uber expensive

if you go soft top route, hopefully there will be better hard top options aftermarket or MOD
MIC 2.0 isn't worth the thousands it will cost

DarkPony

Outer Banks
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F250 Platinum, 97 Porsche 993
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Originally ordered mine with a hardtop then switched to a soft top. Have to say I'm quite pleased with the soft top. It's not loud, doesn't leak or squeak and folding it back on a nice day is quite convenient. My dealer says hard top orders won't be available until 2023. get the soft top and enjoy the car by 2023 you'll have OEM and aftermarket tops to choose from.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No way I'd buy a hard top from parts.

I'd order the MIC, even if it's a wait, and buy an aftermarket soft top later. You'd save money, likely get a better soft top, but you'd have to have patience. I'd rather wait to get what I want for the right price.

Tonka1

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally, I think switching tops will be too much trouble. I've driven Jeeps with both tops and prefer the simplicity of the soft top. Unless you plan to get a roof rack, there's no need for the MIC.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wanted dual tops, figured hard top in the winter, soft top in the summer. Started out with the factory dual tops, when that got pushed back to ā€˜23 switched to a hard top thinking Iā€™d get the Bestop. When doing research on the Bestop I saw stuff that basically indicated that the performance of the Bestop and hardtop in terms of noise and heat retention wasnā€™t much different.

Switched my order to a soft top. Going to get the Bestop and hopefully sell the factory soft top to someone who got a hard top and wanted dual tops. Give the just running the soft top a try and if I donā€™t like get a hard top in a few years.

Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can still order Broncos. I ordered one the other day.

knownhuman

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like @DarkPony, I switched from MIC to soft top just to get my Bronco built. Hoping to see what happens with the aftermarket
Sponsored