Sponsored

Ordering advice, to Squatch or not to Squatch?

Naxster

Badlands
First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I'm going to order a Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, AT.

My ultimate goal is to lift it with a proper lift that drops the front diff, and put it on 37" KO2s with beadlocks.

With 37s and rock crawling in mind, I'd like the better gear ratio of the sasquatch package, and the wide fender flares. On the other hand, maybe it would be cheaper / easier to just replace the diff gears and flares afterwards?

I don't care for the sasquatch wheels/tires that much, but I do like the non-sasquatch bead lock wheels.

Non-sasquatch beadlocks wheels: $995
Wide OEM fender flares online: $500
Sasquatch upgrade: $2,495

So, I have a few questions.

1. On a Badlands, the only difference between non-sas and sas are the wheels, tires, wide fender flares, and differential gear ratio. Right?

2. What would it take to re-gear the diffs? Any estimation on prices? I'm an industrial/commercial HVAC tech, no stranger to tools and taking things apart, if it was a typical diff I wouldn't be worried about it, but I don't know if these locking diffs are a whole other ball game, or pretty straight forward?

3. Do you think I can get 37" KO2s on either of the 2 beadlock wheels with a 2-4" lift, without much rubbing under compression while turned full lock, or do you think I'm going to need aftermarket wheels with a different offset?

4. Depending on the answers to these questions, my current route is sasquatch. Then lift it when a decent kit is available (like the new RC 5" lift, but it's not compatible with badlands) and put it on 37s. What route would you take?
Sponsored

Manotick Badlands

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the non SAS Badlands is perfect. I ordered a Wildtrak which didn't get built and bought a non SAS Badlands off the lot. I'm glad it worked out this way for me. Aside from saving thousands on the vehicle price itself I recently realized I would've had to buy snow tires for the SAS, which would've been thousands. I'm going to run the KO2s year round. Beyond that the Badlands has a 4.7 rear gear ratio already. I do think the SAS has 1" extra suspension travel. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will point that out. Non SAS Badlands for me!

OP
OP
Naxster

Naxster

Badlands
First Name
Dayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the non SAS Badlands is perfect. I ordered a Wildtrak which didn't get built and bought a non SAS Badlands off the lot. I'm glad it worked out this way for me. Aside from saving thousands on the vehicle price itself I recently realized I would've had to buy snow tires for the SAS, which would've been thousands. I'm going to run the KO2s year round. Beyond that the Badlands has a 4.7 rear gear ratio already. I do think the SAS has 1" extra suspension travel. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will point that out. Non SAS Badlands for me!
According to the build and price, the AT comes with the 4.46 diff, you have to upgrade to SAS to get the 4.7

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the BL, you cannot get the 4.7 gearing without SAS or the manual transmission.

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 5% gearing difference isn't worth the cost of a re-gear. If you feel that you need to re-gear on one set up, you will feel the same need on the other, so that is a wash.

If you are going to lift it, not much point in getting the Sasquatch.

The $995 optimal beadlock wheels are a half inch less wide than Sasquatch wheels, that will somewhat limit the sizes of tire width (you did not specify) you can mount. Even with tire specifics, I don't think anyone who hasn't mounted the same size wheels and tires can tell you if it will rub under those conditions, especially since you have listed a 2, 4, and 5" lift as possible..

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the BL, you cannot get the 4.7 gearing without SAS or the manual transmission.
Functionally correct, but backwards; the BL comes standard with 4.7 gears, you cannot get 4.46 without ordering the optional automatic (or 2.7 that forces the automatic) without Sasquatch. Works out the same, but reverses which is optional.

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Functionally correct, but backwards; the BL comes standard with 4.7 gears, you cannot get 4.46 without ordering the optional automatic (or 2.7 that forces the automatic) without Sasquatch. Works out the same, but reverses which is optional.
Aren’t we saying the same thing?

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Get the non Squatch, 4.46 or 4.7 you won't notice the difference, and don't waste your time with a gear swap.

CDNMXRACER678

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco BL, 2017 FoRS, 2020 F-450KR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 5% gearing difference isn't worth the cost of a re-gear. If you feel that you need to re-gear on one set up, you will feel the same need on the other, so that is a wash.

If you are going to lift it, not much point in getting the Sasquatch.

The $995 optimal beadlock wheels are a half inch less wide than Sasquatch wheels, that will somewhat limit the sizes of tire width (you did not specify) you can mount. Even with tire specifics, I don't think anyone who hasn't mounted the same size wheels and tires can tell you if it will rub under those conditions, especially since you have listed a 2, 4, and 5" lift as possible..
The offset is also different(+30) on the SAS wheels(17x8.5)
Putting 35” tires on the non-SAS wheels will interfere with the control arms.
The non-SAS wheels are 17x8 with a +55mm offset

0A21E7DB-1F5F-4E5D-9600-DD7DB2BBF5D4.png

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Get the Badlands and build from there. The big bonus of the Badlands is the auto disconnecting front sway bar. It and the FE are the only models with it and sounds like a really good option for rock crawling. I don't think gearing is going to make much of difference until you get over 40" tires.

I went Base Sasquatch because I wanted to stay in the lower price range and don't really need the disconnect. I may even drop to 33's at tire replacement.

J.Spicoli

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was looking into the sas vs non sas differences question as well and somewhere someone mentioned the SAS has 10mm (0.5") larger bumpstops to limit wheel up travel in order to keep the larger tires from rubbing during full tuck. Not a huge deal but it is something I've found on here.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do think the SAS has 1" extra suspension travel.
Just for clarity, as I don't think anyone posted it, but this is incorrect. The SAS suspension - even a Badlands SAS - has slightly less wheel travel than the standard Badlands. It's simply a feature to limit the up-travel with the 35s. It's a small amount.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You could sell Sasquatch wheels and tires to make up a big chunk of the $2500 upgrade.
Sponsored