BoomBoy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm in the process of ordering a 4-door manual Badlands Bronco with hardtop and high package as the only options. I plan to trade in my Ford Fiesta ST and keep my GT350 as a second car. The Bronco will be my daily.

I have a question....

I know the towing capacity is only 3,500 pounds. I'd like to tow my GT350 on a flat bed safely if possible (even if not legal). GT350 curb weight is 3,760. The trailer stand alone probably weighs 2,000. Together it's 5,760 lbs.

Would it be safe to tow with a Curt Class III Trailer Hitch for around 6000 lbs payload?
Sponsored

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

technically, no.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It might be safe, but I would avoid. If something happens and someone is hurt (or even property damage), you would likely end up liable even if it was not really your fault. Maybe even criminal liability. For example, if a prosecutor found posts on a message board that shows you knew it was unsafe and decided to do it anyway with reckless disregard for etc. . .

The only two universally true pieces of legal advice are don't talk to police and don't create discoverable information.

OP
OP

BoomBoy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It might be safe, but I would avoid. If something happens and someone is hurt (or even property damage), you would likely end up liable even if it was not really your fault. Maybe even criminal liability. For example, if a prosecutor found posts on a message board that shows you knew it was unsafe and decided to do it anyway with reckless disregard for etc. . .

The only two universally true pieces of legal advice are don't talk to police and don't create discoverable information.
You said it might be safe but then you say I know it's unsafe. Both statements can't be true. It's either safe or it's not. Legal or otherwise. Legality is not this topic is about. If it can be proven safe then I'm good.

Dalbus

Wildtrak
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak Bronco, Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyone know the tail light wiring schematic for tapping into power/signal source for the Ford FT1Z15A416A wire kit? It does not have plug-and-play harnesses and requires splicing into the factory wires that don't color match normal trailer wires.

Sponsored

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Forget about it.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does you trailer have electric brakes?

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't have a trailer but if I did, it would have brakes of course.
If the mustang weight is balanced on the trailer and you have electric trailer brakes you could haul it. If you had an accident towing it there would be a lot of problems from their lawyer, your insurance company and possibly law enforcement.

OP
OP

BoomBoy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the mustang weight is balanced on the trailer and you have electric trailer brakes you could haul it. If you had an accident towing it there would be a lot of problems from their lawyer, your insurance company and possibly law enforcement.
Understandable

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The way the hitch mounts to the Bronco, no way would I trust it with 6,000 lbs legal or not.

OP
OP

BoomBoy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The way the hitch mounts to the Bronco, no way would I trust it with 6,000 lbs legal or not.
Even with the Class III Trailer Hitch?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands 4-door actually has around ~3200 - 3300 lbs towing. The added weight of the factory rock rails, bash plates, swap-bar disconnect, etc. lowers the overall towing capacity lower than 3500 lbs.

Anyway
 if you got a weight distribution hitch and a trailer brake controller, I personally would probably feel comfortable hauling it on short trips
 maybe 5-10 miles or so to a mechanics shop or something like that. But no way I’m taking it on the interstate or driving it over 35 mph.

Plus that’s a $2350 ticket (at least in my state) I don’t want to pay. All it does is a take a single officer who knows basic towing 101 (which most do, because they enforce FMCSA laws) to look at your trailer and notice it has two axles instead of one to know that your overweight.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would never tow that much weight with a Bronco. That’s 165% of the rated towing capacity and would be like me towing a 24,000# trailer with my 3/4 ton Duramax that‘s rated for 14,500#.

It’s like asking a doctor if mixing cocaine and alcohol is a good idea or a cop if drinking and driving is a good idea. Yeah, it might work out in perfect conditions with no surprises in traffic until it doesn’t.

I personally like to stay at about 70% of my max towing capacity to avoid excess wear and tear and for safety sake.

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can’t believe I’m getting sucked into this question, but bottom line. “Safe” is whatever the GCWR rating is, which includes, the GVWR of the vehicle, plus fuel, plus occupants, plus dildos, trailer, the cargo and whatever other crap you’re hauling. Did you even factor in that 1 gallon of fuel weighs 8.33lb, assuming a full tank in both vehicles and any additional jerry cans you could be looking at close to another 500lbs just in fuel, which is also a bit flammable should you get into an accident.

Once you exceed the GCWR you’re unsafe since the brakes, stopping mass of the towing vehicle, wheelbase and other factors are direct factors in what the final stated GCWR for a vehicle are. Just because you can jump off a cliff or cut off your arm, doesn’t mean that it is necessarily safe to do so.

I personally wouldn’t want to be anywhere near you on the road when that trailer starts to wag the dog. Sounds like you should be looking at F150/250 with factory tow package for your needs.

Everything you need is below, you’re welcome:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...-guides/2021_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide.pdf
Sponsored

Last edited: