Sponsored

Ordering strategy to guarantee you pay MSRP with no ADM - would this work?

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
To be brutal to dealers here...?

The burden is on us to make it right or the constomer and their dollar walks

Now I realize this is how we believed it to be for eons. FOMOCO has really put the customer in the drivers seat on this one.

Those who play games with this ICON vehicle will be remembered when the next purchase, friends, neighbor or relative go to purchase, a new Ford and they relay how they were treated..

This is the ultimate (because of sheer volume) Yelp, Google review etc..

If dealerships have not read enough pent up desire just to be treated fairly ,it is all the customer is asking for...

Now I am sure they would love to have all dealerships sell at our price but i see most just not wanting to be messed over by the "typical" dealer **** that they fear most when darkening the dealership doors..

End rant..

Back to your regularly scheduled program!
@Granger Ford, this is a bit off topic, but will you opine on why you think other dealers are not making the same same or similar $1,000 off invoice offer? It seems strange that of all the dealers, Granger is the only reported dealer willing to make such an offer. Why in the world would others not try to compete? I can see why large market, high volume dealers wouldn’t care to, but everyone else?

atonge40

Base
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Generally I agree, $500 deposit is reasonable, but on Bronco the dealer is actually at least as well off (and probably better off) if you order and don’t end up taking delivery. They would have a Bronco in stock that they had no other way of procuring so they really don’t need anything beyond the $100 (which is going non-refundable when you order unless you reach a different agreement).

Another exception going the other way (non-refundable deposit is reasonable) is when you are ordering something unusual that the dealer wouldn’t want on his lot. That is harder to do nowadays given the limited colors and limited ways to build vehicles from most manufacturers. Easier to do on high end stuff like Porsche with zillions of option combinations (many considered undesirable by dealers) and even such things as paint to sample. Non-refundable is sometimes appropriate on those.
I agree. I've only ordered mass market vehicles that dealers probably had to have on their lots anyways. I've also never ordered something with wild or crazy options. Most of the time it has been SE or XLT level Ford products that probably lease out well.

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do not know for sure. When we have done this before others followed the lead but not this time.

Sometimes the dealerships just see the new model as a golden goose and get some $$ while they can.

This is not a huge markup vehicle as you have seen in some post put up onto the pricing anyway..

I realize that FOMOCO did not like it...but even they agreed that we did not break their advertising rules.

They will probably get that fixed by the next launch... ;)

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Someone has to help me out here. Why would anyone stand in line in hopes of paying MSRP.

I have bought 45+ vehicles in my life so far and would never consider paying MSRP.

When the Gladiator came out. people were willing to pay MSRP plus. When the irrational exuberance calmed down after seven months I bought one at 5% below invoice.

This is not a limited production vehicle. What is the rush.

Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Generally I agree, $500 deposit is reasonable, but on Bronco the dealer is actually at least as well off (and probably better off) if you order and don’t end up taking delivery. They would have a Bronco in stock that they had no other way of procuring so they really don’t need anything beyond the $100 (which is going non-refundable when you order unless you reach a different agreement).

Another exception going the other way (non-refundable deposit is reasonable) is when you are ordering something unusual that the dealer wouldn’t want on his lot. That is harder to do nowadays given the limited colors and limited ways to build vehicles from most manufacturers. Easier to do on high end stuff like Porsche with zillions of option combinations (many considered undesirable by dealers) and even such things as paint to sample. Non-refundable is sometimes appropriate on those.
That is where it turns into a double edged sword..

Ford will allow a very small percentage of orders to become "stock" retailable vehicles before they step in and "take control" of the situation...

This has been the rule for years on special order hard to get vehicles.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Step 1. Or ask for a discount say $1000 under invoice.:p

Dealership nor purchaser can renegotiate price once agreed to and signed by both parties
Wow, a visionary! If only such a dealer existed!!! LOL

I don't understand why people feel so powerless with the dealers.
I've been told NO millions of times, car dealer or otherwise. Lol.?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Shipping they will be able to adjust shipping cost on the price of the car or have it reduce in exchange for accessories and option. BTW never finance accessories pay cash for those not worth financing on 7 years a roof rack that cost 700 $ Your end goal is to lower your finance amount .
@Mke_80, Excellent post, all great points, your point about shipping is interesting.

@Granger Ford, for the US, for those not buying with your great offer, is the $1,495 Bronco Delivery & Destination fee negotiable for MSRP or X-Plan buyers?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Mke_80, Excellent post, all great points, your point about shipping is interesting.

@Granger Ford, for the US, for those not buying with your great offer, is the $1,495 Bronco Delivery & Destination fee negotiable for MSRP or X-Plan buyers?
Not negotiable for anybody unfortunately.

Fixed on cost and retail at 1495 per unit.

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Granger Ford, this is a bit off topic, but will you opine on why you think other dealers are not making the same same or similar $1,000 off invoice offer? It seems strange that of all the dealers, Granger is the only reported dealer willing to make such an offer. Why in the world would others not try to compete? I can see why large market, high volume dealers wouldn’t care to, but everyone else?
Granger‘s pricing is fantastic and I appreciate it, but they are making nothing on the initial sale of the vehicle (particularly if holdback is 2%). Their profit will be on quantity bonuses, allocations, etc.

It Is not unreasonable for dealers to be selling a really hot new product at or near MSRP, particularly when the spread is so little (less than $500 on base between invoice and sticker).

I think most dealers run their business poorly (and are still very profitable) so I’m not a big dealer supporter, but they do have an enormous amount of capital invested and at risk and should therefore be earning a good return on that investment.

That said, I’ll buy where I feel I’m getting the best total package — location, service, knowledge (A+ to Granger) and price (another Granger A+).

Sponsored

toystwo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avalanche, Tracker, S-10, 911, GTI, Volt, 528i
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford will allow a very small percentage of orders to become "stock" retailable vehicles before they step in and "take control" of the situation...
Interesting and makes sense.

JPNC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Granger‘s pricing is fantastic and I appreciate it, but they are making nothing on the initial sale of the vehicle (particularly if holdback is 2%). Their profit will be on quantity bonuses, allocations, etc.

It Is not unreasonable for dealers to be selling a really hot new product at or near MSRP, particularly when the spread is so little (less than $500 on base between invoice and sticker).

I think most dealers run their business poorly (and are still very profitable) so I’m not a big dealer supporter, but they do have an enormous amount of capital invested and at risk and should therefore be earning a good return on that investment.

That said, I’ll buy where I feel I’m getting the best total package — location, service, knowledge (A+ to Granger) and price (another Granger A+).
I assumed the quantity bonus as well, but someone on this forum told me I was wrong and dealers do not get a quantity bonus. I cant remember which thread or how it was stated.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after reading a lot I think there might be a strategy that would guarantee you will pay MSRP or less. This hinges on the fact that the Bronco reservations are not dealer allocations. That means if you don't order, the dealer does not get the vehicle on their lot to sell.

I've read reports of dealers saying they'll allow people to order without putting any deposit down, but this is a trick to allow them to negotiate the price with you later - once the vehicle is already on their lot. At this point they have you over a barrel. If you don't pay whatever price they want to charge you won't get the vehicle and they can sell it to someone else.

The trick here is to make sure they don't get a vehicle to sell if they don't agree to MSRP, and it looks like this:

1. When the time comes to place your order, politely inform your dealer that you expect to pay MSRP
2. Make them write up a bill of sale for MSRP and offer to put some money down ($500 - $1000) as a deposit. This is crucial - having a price in writing and putting money down creates a contract.
3. If the dealer refuses to do this, go to step 1
4. Place your order with Ford only after you have an agreement on price in writing
5. Once your vehicle is on the lot, the dealer has to sell it at the agreed-upon price or it's fraud

Again, the ordering process hinges on you. If you don't actually order, that's one less vehicle the dealer can actually sell (because again it's not an allocation). Sure they'd rather charge you an extra $10k, but if you don't order they will get $0. Force the dealer into the decision between making the modest profit on MSRP or zero and see which one they agree to.

I haven't tried this yet (and probably won't need to because I have a good dealer) but I think this could help people who are worried about being charged ADM. Would this actually work?
Here's my experience ordering with Ford. In the past 13 years i've ordered 2 vehicles from a Ford dealership. A 2008 F-450 and a 2017 F-450. In both cases a sales price was negotiated and a deposit and signed contract was required before the dealership would place the order.

TripleB

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sas 2.7L, 2023 GMC AT4 HDD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Someone has to help me out here. Why would anyone stand in line in hopes of paying MSRP.

I have bought 45+ vehicles in my life so far and would never consider paying MSRP.

When the Gladiator came out. people were willing to pay MSRP plus. When the irrational exuberance calmed down after seven months I bought one at 5% below invoice.

This is not a limited production vehicle. What is the rush.
Same. Waiting 6 months on my AT4 saved me $10,000.
Sponsored