Sponsored

Out of State Buying - Yes it is that easy.

socaldux

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I missed the order window before it closed last year, so I have been on the sidelines waiting. Being in California, it seemed like every dealer had $5k - $20k ADM's in place. After the new year and seeing inventories starting to grow at dealerships, I started calling around in order to find a model that fit my needs. I found a dealer in Michigan who was selling at MSRP with a bronco being delivered (not even on the lot yet) and sold it to me at MSRP. The whole process was done over the phone and via e-signatures, they handled the in state taxes and provided the difference for CA taxes in the closing docs so I can get registered here. They arranged shipping for $1,500. The lesson is - do your homework and get on the phone. The way I see it the shipping cost is basically your ADM and I didn't have to play the Ford waiting game any longer. Hopefully that helps some of you.
Sponsored

Koz44

Outer Banks
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did the same thing in Dec 21. Spent most of Nov/Dec searching, emailing and calling dealers across the country. Found several at msrp or just over, settled on one in Maine and the salesperson delivered it himself Christmas Eve.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am in VA and have purchased the majority of my vehicles out of state. Sales tax is only paid in your home state and not the state you purchase from.

Not sure why you paid Michigan taxes.

I missed the order window before it closed last year, so I have been on the sidelines waiting. Being in California, it seemed like every dealer had $5k - $20k ADM's in place. After the new year and seeing inventories starting to grow at dealerships, I started calling around in order to find a model that fit my needs. I found a dealer in Michigan who was selling at MSRP with a bronco being delivered (not even on the lot yet) and sold it to me at MSRP. The whole process was done over the phone and via e-signatures, they handled the in state taxes and provided the difference for CA taxes in the closing docs so I can get registered here. They arranged shipping for $1,500. The lesson is - do your homework and get on the phone. The way I see it the shipping cost is basically your ADM and I didn't have to play the Ford waiting game any longer. Hopefully that helps some of you.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Was going to say the same thing, you only owe for your State. If anyone is purchasing from out of State just call the DMV or your County tax assessor and they'll let you know what to do.

twryan3

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX; Tesla M3; BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

More to follow in a separate post on the '22 OBX I purchased this weekend in IN (see new profile photo), but I had a very easy time with the dealer. I could have been in-and-out of there in under 30 minutes but they wanted to top off the fuel and I chatted with the General Sale Manager about his vehicle. Note that I flew down there on Saturday and drove back. They handled the taxes, as there was reciprocation between IN and TN, and should be sending in the title info to our County Clerk (which will make me wait in line for 2 hours to get registration due to gross mismanagement of the office, but I digress).

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
socaldux

socaldux

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am in VA and have purchased the majority of my vehicles out of state. Sales tax is only paid in your home state and not the state you purchase from.

Not sure why you paid Michigan taxes.
California, lets just say is weird....But with that said, they allow you to pay the out of state sales tax and then they require the difference to be paid when you register in state. So, I think the Michigan tax was somewhere around 6%, I'll pay the added difference here in CA when I go to register. They have the choice to differ all tax and I pay 100% in California, but chose to do it this way.

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What dealership??

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

California, lets just say is weird....But with that said, they allow you to pay the out of state sales tax and then they require the difference to be paid when you register in state. So, I think the Michigan tax was somewhere around 6%, I'll pay the added difference here in CA when I go to register. They have the choice to differ all tax and I pay 100% in California, but chose to do it this way.
New York was the same way, when we moved with vehicles from out of state.

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

April 2022 I was calling around dealerships looking for Broncos on the lot. A dealership about an hour away had two Broncos. One was a Velocity Blue OBX high or lux package and the other was a Big Bend Cyber Orange with a mid package.

While I was driving to check them out (one hour) someone from California had called and purchased the Velocity Blue OBX on the phone. When I arrived my sales person didn't know it had been sold. We were going to buy the Velocity Blue one only to find out it was sold and all the paper work was completed.

Needless to say I bought the Cyber Orange BB and am extremely happy. Personally I'm glad my openly option was the BB because we are going to upgrade to a Badlands when the order banks open. Not so sure my wife would've been onboard with that upgrade if we had the high/lux package.

Long story short, put in the work you can absolutely find a great vehicle....just strike fast because someone can buy it from under you over the phone in less than and hour.

5PC24

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Out of state is much easier these days, especially with a good dealer. I found a dealer in MI as well with a Wildtrak scheduled for build in Feb that matches 99% of what my long pending order was. only loss is going from Lux package to High. Just patiently waiting for it to get built and to the dealer.
Sponsored