Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Toyota Tacoma 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have plans to eventually replace my OB grille with a BL/WT grille, but the info on doing so is pretty scarce.

One concern that I haven't seen addressed (maybe it's not a big deal) is this:

Ford Bronco Outer Banks Grille Question Screenshot 2022-01-12 120911

The part I've circled...What is that? Does it come off with the OB grille?

I have only seen that in pictures of the OB grille, do any other grilles have this? Is it vital for the vehicle operating properly? Is it something that will hinder swapping grilles out?

I know the camera and the white bronco lettering will be challenges while doing a swap, but this piece also gives me pause, and I haven't heard anything about it and want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't think that is part of the grill. But that is the reason I don't like that grill out of the three designs. It looks bad being able to see those parts behind the grill IMO.

As for changing to a BL grill, you just pop the old one out and pop the new one in. All three grill styles are interchangeable. The only difference being the camera mount is there or not.

The white letters stay on the grill.

OP
OP
flowingaway

flowingaway

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I didn't think that is part of the grill. But that is the reason I don't like that grill out of the three designs. It looks bad being able to see those parts behind the grill IMO.

As for changing to a BL grill, you just pop the old one out and pop the new one in. All three grill styles are interchangeable. The only difference being the camera mount is there or not.

The white letters stay on the grill.
It sticks out like a sore thumb. Very odd design choice.

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey I zoomed in on your pic. I said its not part of the grill. But I thought you were circling stuff behind the grill.

What you circled is part of the grill I think. Either way, the grills are meant to be interchangeable.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have plans to eventually replace my OB grille with a BL/WT grille, but the info on doing so is pretty scarce.

I have only seen that in pictures of the OB grille, do any other grilles have this? Is it vital for the vehicle operating properly? Is it something that will hinder swapping grilles out?

I know the camera and the white bronco lettering will be challenges while doing a swap, but this piece also gives me pause, and I haven't heard anything about it and want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.
I have been wondering the same thing. The piece screws off easy once you take off the grille but I don't know if it serves a purpose and how it would look with it removed. I painted my grille shadow black to match the body color but the silver plastic piece bothers me so I think I might just pull it and paint it darker to blend in better. There are also the two plastic pieces to the side that come off as well....just above the B and O letters. I do like how the Grille can come off in less than 5 minutes.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
There was a video a long time ago where this grille was removed and that piece is just to protect the hood mechanism from the elements. Let me try to find the video

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had the same question. It looks oddly placed and not functional. I saw one in person and it seems to be just part of the grille with no apparent purpose.

I agree with some of the others that the OBX grille is the least appealing of all the grille options.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It protects the hood mechanism (which sits directly behind it.) from the elements.

And it is connected to the grill itself.

I had the same question. It looks oddly placed and not functional. I saw one in person and it seems to be just part of the grille with no apparent purpose.

I agree with some of the others that the OBX grille is the least appealing of all the grille options.

OP
OP
flowingaway

flowingaway

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It protects the hood mechanism (which sits directly behind it.) from the elements.

And it is connected to the grill itself.

I could be wrong, but it appears the BL/WT grille doesn't have that piece, possibly because the smaller holes on the grille itself act as protection on their own.

At this point, I'm pretty confident about doing this. Still curious to see how difficult it is to move the camera over.

When I get my Bronco (build week 1/24) and I get a new grille to swap, I plan on making a video detailing everything. I think it would be super helpful since no one has went into any true detail on how to approach the letters and camera swap.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You might be right that BL/WT do not have it OR maybe we can't see it through the cheese grater grill?

I am willing to bet every grill has it.

Next time I am near a dealer I will see if I can snap a pic of a BL or WT.

BTW Camera should be easy .. prob just snaps out

I could be wrong, but it appears the BL/WT grille doesn't have that piece, possibly because the smaller holes on the grille itself act as protection on their own.

At this point, I'm pretty confident about doing this. Still curious to see how difficult it is to move the camera over.

When I get my Bronco (build week 1/24) and I get a new grille to swap, I plan on making a video detailing everything. I think it would be super helpful since no one has went into any true detail on how to approach the letters and camera swap.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I stopped by my local dealership today and they had a badlands. The Badlands grill did not have that piece to protect the hood latch mechanism. BUT behind the grill there was a piece to protect the hood mechanism and it looks like it is attached to the bronco itself.

SO if you remove OBX grill which has that piece and then replace it with a BD/WT grill, you will not have that piece to protect your latch. I hopes this makes sense.

CKXVII

Outer Banks
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The front facing camera and hose are connected to the backside of this plastic plate. I imagine if you have neither, you could take it off and see if it’s actually needed….but if you do have those items, then yeah, it stays.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Personally, I think the OBX grille is far and away the best looking grille. While that's subjective, sure, I will note that of all the things on my OBX sas exterior, the one thing that bothers me some is that the front end is so clean, with the exception of the parts you see through the grille openings. Especially the three white stripes in the upper right. After I received my bronco with front plate drill holes, my immediate thought was well, i guess i could live with it, in comparison to these damn things you see through the grille openings.

CKXVII

Outer Banks
First Name
CK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Different grille = different kind of plate. Here’s the backside of someone’s BL*/WT grille

Ford Bronco Outer Banks Grille Question D9D9D776-C18E-4908-8B8B-E4CA7315F10C

Last edited:

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In addition to my post above - Notwithstanding, I still prefer the OBX grille over the WT because it's concave. The WT grille is flush and gives the front a snout like appearance when not head-on (something most dont think about). But I am considering maybe some type of black mesh behind the OBX grille openings if its subtle and covers up the stuff behind it.
Sponsored