First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So if you have new car replacement on your policy, and you get in an accident that is the other parties fault, is your insurance covering everything then going after the other parties insurance to recover costs?

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look up GAP insurance.
^ This

Take out a loan/lease for the entire purchase price and buy gap insurance. In theory, if the vehicle is worth less than your loan the gap insurance covers the difference. It'll cost a few grand in interest & fees to go the loan/lease route but if you're putting $20K at risk it could be worth it.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

For the people that donā€™t know, a bank will not lend over what the Broncos MSRP is. Typically if a dealer can prove ā€œmodificationsā€ increased value they might. Think the Tuscany/rocky ridge trucks dealers have. So the people paying ADM are either paying cash or putting a large deposit down to finance the bronco at MSRP. Now they could put agreed value on their policy, if something were to happen but you pay extra for it and the insurance has to agree itā€™s worth X. Iā€™m pretty sure GAP or regular insurance will not cover anything over MSRP.
Sure they will. Buying a $50k vehicle with $10k trade in which still owes $30 you can easily get a loan for $70. Happens all day every day. You can even roll unpaid purchase balance into a lease. Ask me how I know........

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree with you. One thing is due to a shortage of replacement vehicles what is the insurance company going to replace your total with. Another is that across the board costs of repairs have skyrocketed and not because of increased labor rates. And hidden damages. Sometimes after the fact the insurance companies are slapping their heads and saying "Dang, if we had know that the hidden damage would bring the total above our % of value to total we would have written this off to begin with"

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
^ This

Take out a loan/lease for the entire purchase price and buy gap insurance. In theory, if the vehicle is worth less than your loan the gap insurance covers the difference. It'll cost a few grand in interest & fees to go the loan/lease route but if you're putting $20K at risk it could be worth it.
No way GAP insurance is going to cover a $25k dealer markup over MSRP. People who are willing to pay that to be the first Bronco owner on the block clearly have cash to burn and will have to accept the fact that their cash was actually burned if they happen to total their vehicle.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'd bet they wouldn't pay over MSRP for it though, in which case you're getting your replacement Bronco in 2 - 4 years.
We already had to do this with my wifeā€™s infinity q50s. They did an entire refresh between her totaled 2015 and the new 2016. To get the features she had on her 15, we had to go way up in price for the 2016. They didnā€™t care at all. Said just send them the contract and they paid it. They spent 30k over the value of her totaled car. I would have no doubt they would pay $5k over MSRP. Over that may be an issue.

Greens05

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, BMW 335xi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

^ This

Question is where do you get a loan for an amount over MSRP? Not any banks that I know of would do that.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sure they will. Buying a $50k vehicle with $10k trade in which still owes $30 you can easily get a loan for $70. Happens all day every day. You can even roll unpaid purchase balance into a lease. Ask me how I know........
Dang, I wouldn't want to go down that road. I was recently watching a video from an x-sales guy about stuff he saw. Touched on car buying perils, and about how some people do that a few times and end up severely underwater in debt. Danger Will Robinson! :)

Mickey21

Wildtrak
First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak (Race Red)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For the people that donā€™t know, a bank will not lend over what the Broncos MSRP is. Typically if a dealer can prove ā€œmodificationsā€ increased value they might. Think the Tuscany/rocky ridge trucks dealers have. So the people paying ADM are either paying cash or putting a large deposit down to finance the bronco at MSRP. Now they could put agreed value on their policy, if something were to happen but you pay extra for it and the insurance has to agree itā€™s worth X. Iā€™m pretty sure GAP or regular insurance will not cover anything over MSRP.
Agreed Johnny, typically a loan (depending on credit rating) will allow for 120/130 even 150% of the MSRP of the vehicle. Not to say that is always a great idea, but depending on your financing you may qualify for, and the current market/bank conditions, your bank might allow for a large amount over the costs of the vehicle... You can watch videos like the one linked below that explain how that can work in some detail. That just isnt the case Monster1926 and hasnt been for some time now. Most banks will lend over the MSRP of the vehicle.

Sponsored

IfIHMadeA2021Scout

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250 Tremor, IH Scout 80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm surprised no one mentioned the obvious here. If you way over insure a vehicle and it raises the cost of the replacement compared to fixing it, what is the insurance company going to do? Fix it. Then, will you really still want the vehicle?

I've had to handle two of these discussions with insurance companies for the family. One was for a month old Chevy 2500 Silverado with a badly bent frame. They fixed that one as the repairs were just under the cost to replace. This was a clear simple math and policy language decision. The other was for a Jeep Wrangler with repairs about half of the value of the Jeep. They totaled that one and paid top dollar because a death was involved in the accident. In reality they didn't pay for the vehicle; it was a simple way to buy their way out of a bigger lawsuit.

Why over insure and then give them an economic reason to fix what will end up basically being a salvage vehicle without a salvage title?

What would the value of the vehicle be then? A Carfax report would definitely show that mess.

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question is where do you get a loan for an amount over MSRP? Not any banks that I know of would do that.
It's not totally foreign. Dealers somehow cut loans for people with negative equity on their trade-in. For example, a loan that covers the cost of the new car and the $3000 difference between what you owe on your trade-in and what the dealer is giving for it.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Look up GAP insurance.
Yep this is the only thing that is going to cover you in the event of an accident after paying over bluebook market value or carrying a loan greater than the value of the vehicle.
Though different states have different laws & conditions.

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

110% of MSRP. So theyā€™ll give you 55k for the badlands you paid 75k for and wrecked
Sponsored