First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
These aren’t made to stand up in. Sleeping and getting all your equipment to wherever you want is what they are made for. There are so many companies making them now, Hikers get great reviews, I just like the convenience of some over others with how the kitchens are set up and no need to set up a galley and external tables. Just drop it and open it up and you are good to go.
Been reading good things about the Alu Cab 270 awning. Good video below.
Having spent years setting up a tarp for the kitchen, this approach makes sense. I little expensive, but when it is raining you want quick shelter. Perhaps worth every penny?
Any experience with this particular awning?

Sponsored

Major_Bullsteak

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy ZR2 Bison, JK Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

These aren’t made to stand up in. Sleeping and getting all your equipment to wherever you want is what they are made for. There are so many companies making them now, Hikers get great reviews, I just like the convenience of some over others with how the kitchens are set up and no need to set up a galley and external tables. Just drop it and open it up and you are good to go.
Agreed. Like the Bronco, it all depends on what you want vs. what you need vs. what you can afford vs. what you want to afford.

For me, I need/want to stay in the $10K-$15K range so I have to give up the slick kitchen set ups with 2 or 3 pull out drawers for stoves, refrigerators, etc. All of the campers in this thread and the other are awesome setups but out of my price range. As I said, the Hiker so far appears to give me the most bang for my buck.

Tvcraig75

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not with that one. Those type of awnings are great, just don’t leave them up if you leave and there may be any strong winds!
Certainly seemed to be priced more in the range I am looking, although I still would like to be able to stand up. Looked at Offgrid and the trailer was $34,000. That's pretty pricey for what it is.
I guess trailers like the E-Pro are not made as well.. so they have a lower price?
I think one of the main price jumps you will also see besides the durability compared to E-pro type campers is the suspension. The Timbren independent no axle suspension definitely bumps the cost quite a bit.

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not with that one. Those type of awnings are great, just don’t leave them up if you leave and there may be any strong winds!

I think one of the main price jumps you will also see besides the durability compared to E-pro type campers is the suspension. The Timbren independent no axle suspension definitely bumps the cost quite a bit.
Yes, the Timbren 3500HD axle-less suspension is on my must have list. I am also hearing good things about the Lock'N'Roll articulating hitch.

On the topic of cooktops, I like the simplicity of the Partner Steel Co. Cook Partner 18", 2 burner, Propane stove.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
$19k dollars? Definitely an awesome idea but good lord that’s expensive.
You are correct the base price of ~$19K is expensive. If the goal is camping in local state parks, it is way too much.
I have spent years exploring Alaska. That destination will demand the best gear you can get. If I return with my Bronco, I will absolutely need the best overland camper trailer I can locate.

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 5.10's base price is now listed at $28,900, and Overkill has a third model on the way to slide between the 4.7 and 5.10.
Love seeing camper setups, but at this price you could almost get a base bronco lol. Might have to pony up though if it's real functional and can take the abuse.

OP
OP

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Love seeing camper setups, but at this price you could almost get a base bronco lol. Might have to pony up though if it's real functional and can take the abuse.
That is the key! Can the component parts hold up to abuse? If not, you simply have a pile of junk on your hands. As a case in point, on my last Alaska trip I used a Hilleberg tent, the Black label Staika. Wildly expensive and worth every penny. Now the search is on to locate a camper trailer with the quality of a Staika. The search continues......

Tvcraig75

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is the key! Can the component parts hold up to abuse? If not, you simply have a pile of junk on your hands. As a case in point, on my last Alaska trip I used a Hilleberg tent, the Black label Staika. Wildly expensive and worth every penny. Now the search is on to locate a camper trailer with the quality of a Staika. The search continues......
I can tell you that you will get what you pay for in these campers, they are expensive because they are hand made, the ones without wood will never rot, and they can be dragged anywhere. There is a big market for renting these in Colorado, so maybe in the Northeast you could rent it out to offset the cost. Trust me, no matter how much math you do it's hard to justify, but at the same time it's hard to find things so well built that can handle going just about anywhere.

Sponsored
OP
OP

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m with you. I’m 6’4”! I’d like a trailer that the tent is on top of the trailer
Just a few figures to consider regarding the Overkill TK47:
Cabin length = 81” (6’ 9”)
Mattress size = 6’6” x 3’9”
Everyone is different regarding the size space they need. This would work for me.

Tvcraig75

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am 6’2” and felt very comfortable in the Offgrid, it’s a true queen size bed.

ScottW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been reading good things about the Alu Cab 270 awning. Good video below.
Having spent years setting up a tarp for the kitchen, this approach makes sense. I little expensive, but when it is raining you want quick shelter. Perhaps worth every penny?
Any experience with this particular awning?
I have an Alu cab 270 awning and it is great. Sets up and stores in minutes, no poles or guide ropes to deal with or trip over. Regarding what the other poster said about wind, these things can handle high winds with no issues. It's expensive but for me worth it.

robepa

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2006 Tacoma, 2020 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These pictures (maybe its the angle) look like you can't even sit up. Gives me major Closter phobia just looking at it.
That's what I was thinking, I have the Smittybilt Scout now which is perfect for the family but if its just the wife and I a sleep in would be great for fast set up/takedown and bad weather but sitting up in it is a must.
Sponsored