Sponsored

Overlanding in a badlands 2 door (982lb payload)

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
so its not going to snap the car suspension if im loaded to say 1100 or something?
The thing with suspension is, it can take a lot of abuse. But the more abuse and work you make it do the less comfortable you're going to be as it does it. If you're planning to load the truck to bear, I would definitely look into upgrading the suspension.
Sponsored

4everbored

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nada
Your Bronco Model
Base
Don't forget to subtract your body weight from the payload.

TiredOldMedic

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Mercury Grand Marquis, 86 Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
this really doesnt help at all. Im asking experienced overlanders what their opinion is of the payload and if its doable or if its simply too small a payload for real overlanding trips

Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why am I the only one that is catching this error - 982 payload...That's the max payload for the 2.7 BL (non sasquatch, no options). You said you are getting sasquatch? The 2.7 BL is bracketed at 4877-5092. If you're sasquatched, and adding a few other things, you'll probably be at 5,000 or higher, with a payload of 860 or less (5860 GVWR).

The most important thing is estimating where you build falls within min to max curb weight depending on whats still available (not locked out on B&P) that you are NOT getting. What will help you too is if you look to the 4 door, there are more items locked out, and the curb weight ranges by 164 lbs, vs the 2 door by 215 lbs. That should help you triangulate some if you mess around on BnP with the 2 door and 4 door to isolate what certain options weigh.

machtig

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don’t need 80% of the crap that you think you need. If you are hauling around more than 100lbs of overlanding gear, you’re taking too much stuff.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Overlanding isn't static. You don't need all of the same gear/equipment you see on the next guy's rig. Do you need 20 gallons of fuel or 12 gallons? Do you need five gallons of water or 20 gallons of water? Do you need a water filter and a one gallon container, that's collapsible?

You need what you need, so asking others isn't as beneficial as it might seem. I've seen guys on Youtube that have freezers because they want ice cream at the end of a long day. I've seen guys overland in a Subaru, so it boils down to the math, which it seems you hate doing. You have to figure out what you need to take, not what the guy with the Tacoma or Land Cruiser takes. You might as well asked what size shirt you need, without telling anyone if you're a man or woman, your height or your weight. You heard of a guy that wears a shirt and you want to buy one? Maybe you saw a person swimming and you want to know what swimming suit you need? You probably need the scoop neck one that's open in the back, unless you don't.

The answer is really easy, the payload is nothing to worry about, unless you take too much stuff. If your stuff weighs more than the payload, you probably should get a different vehicle, or change the Bronco in ways that increase the carrying capacity. If you have less stuff, then just load up and go. Easy-peasy. I hope that helps indeedy!

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Old thread, but still like it. I've done a lot of motorcycle touring, backpacking, and mule packing for decades. The trick is to not put a few super heavy things in. Water will be your heaviest item, I usually carry a big plastic jug, it's probably 15 gallons. I like to be able to fill my water bottles for day hikes, give the dogs water, cook and clean without worrying about every drop (I'm in Arizona). Besides that, just don't plan on too much of a heavy build for your interior storage and sleeping.

Sponsored

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you're OLing in a 2 door, I'm assuming you're not bringing 5 people with you...
Add your weight and your gear weight... If it's over 900Lbs, you need to seriously reconsider what kinda shit you're hauling with you and whether or not you need it.
And maybe a BL's with HD armour and steel bumpers isn't needed... Saving a lot more weight towards payload.
Every time I'm hitting the back country, I take a minimalist approach to gear with respect to weight. It's not a luxury, 5 star get-away! Some hardship is to be expected. Take a page outta the Line Jeeper's train of thought...
👍🏻
https://www.thelonejeeper.ca/1-Jeep-JK-Weight-Balance-vs-Payload.html

Gargantua

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M1083A1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I blew past my payload and even the axle rating on max load out. Had an extra passenger and gear that wouldn’t be typical. It all adds up fast.

Bumper92
Winch70
Bull bar25
Trailrax36
Rotopax32
Roofnest140
Litewig Awning30
Espar heater50
Tire inflation system25
Eco flow delta30
Rear cargo rack25
Cargo table10
Door reinforcement8
Arb fridge30
Backpack40
5 gal Water40
Ladder8
Bubba rope10
Lighing8
Maxtrax15
Me240
Payload remaining16

Ford Bronco Overlanding in a badlands 2 door (982lb payload) 6EEBF54B-EAF1-40BB-A47E-B3508F95842D

Ford Bronco Overlanding in a badlands 2 door (982lb payload) B7DB04B9-6A44-4EA6-9AA5-A8BE50BC89F6

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like others have said, really you'll want to do the math.

Personally I would never ride around over payload. In fact, I don't even want to get close to it. I don't like how the vehicle rides as it feels heavy and sluggish.

I come from an ultralight backpacking background. Ultralight meaning that my "base weight", which is all of the gear in my backpack (except for food, water, and other consumables), is under 10 lbs. This lightweight mindset carries over into overlanding for me.

I'll skip the roofrack + rooftop tent and use my ultralight backpacking tent instead. That helps me avoid adding a lot extra weight to my vehicle. My backpacking tent only weighs 2-3 lbs.

I've also thought about getting a fridge plus a Jackery power box so that I can keep certain foods cold while overlanding. Well, that's a super nice luxury to have but also takes up room and adds more weight. Instead I'll just eat dry food and Mountain House freeze-dried meals - takes up less room and weight.

Granted, If I were going to be out in the wilderness for long stretches of time, I may consider my approach.

Gargantua

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M1083A1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like others have said, really you'll want to do the math.

Personally I would never ride around over payload. In fact, I don't even want to get close to it. I don't like how the vehicle rides as it feels heavy and sluggish.

I come from an ultralight backpacking background. Ultralight meaning that my "base weight", which is all of the gear in my backpack (except for food, water, and other consumables), is under 10 lbs. This lightweight mindset carries over into overlanding for me.

I'll skip the roofrack + rooftop tent and use my ultralight backpacking tent instead. That helps me avoid adding a lot extra weight to my vehicle. My backpacking tent only weighs 2-3 lbs.

I've also thought about getting a fridge plus a Jackery power box so that I can keep certain foods cold while overlanding. Well, that's a super nice luxury to have but also takes up room and adds more weight. Instead I'll just eat dry food and Mountain House freeze-dried meals - takes up less room and weight.

Granted, If I were going to be out in the wilderness for long stretches of time, I may consider my approach.
I did this build with weight in mind. Rack is aluminum. Tent is one of lightest on market. Awning is lightest hard-case on market. I took out one back seat.

I’ve got plenty of dyneema in my backpack and love that too.

the bronco will be getting the OME heavy spring package when it come out. Regarding the handling it did fine at that weight. The truck sits level. The new springs will take out the nosedive and get my clearance back.

This is worst case pack out weight in winter. I’ve found uses for the roof rack for transpiring sheet goods so there’s some utility there.

Did you have your bronco at GVWR or a different vehicle and not like it?

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you have your bronco at GVWR or a different vehicle and not like it?
To be honest, I have not. I have been a passenger in 4x4's that were loaded up pretty heavy while driving offroad and it just felt a little sluggish. Also sometimes I see loaded up vehicles offroading on YouTube and they just seem top heavy. I dunno maybe it's not as big of an issue as I am making it out to be but I have an ultralight mindset that is kind of ingrained in me I guess.
Sponsored