Former Broncos - 76, 93, 95
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
FYSA - @Broncosofinsta You have been credited as the source of two different postings as well, when someone posted your pics. You should see the 'notification' from you being mentioned on the timeline as well. ๐Ÿ‘ I got ya'!
Thanks! Next time I'll add less watermarks ;)

JAGSarge

Outer Banks
Staff member
First Name
Joe
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former Broncos - 76, 93, 95
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Used mine quite a bit at the beach. And no, this isn't how its been done lately. My 2016 F150 and even my now gone 2009 Ford Flex have it integrated/hidden/padless into the black B Pillar.
My 2009 Ford had the stick on keypad. The 2021 Bronco has a stick on keypad. While I should have clarified that this is not the only way they do it, Ford has in fact been doing this for over a decade.

Rick Astley

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'51 Chevy Fleetline, '61 Ford Thunderbird
It's unfortunate that Ford is using this keypad. It is ugly, but I relocated mine to the rear door pillar on my Ranger where it blends in better and is less noticeable. At first, I used it regularly simple because I park my truck beside my garage at the bottom of a hill on my property and when I don't have my keys, it's pretty nice to still be able to get into the truck without having to hike back to the house. The problem is that the batteries do not last. I went through 3 batteries in the first few months. When I talked to the service tech at my dealership, he said, (and I quote), "Unfortunately, I think the battery is going to be the bane of your existence. I've seen the same problem with other models." He would not replace the keypad.
I stopped using the keypad after about month 4 of ownership. The unacceptable battery life has also been brought up of Ranger5g.com.
I truly find it impossible to understand how and why Ford still sells this as an option.
tenor[1].gif

Our dealership did the replacement after replacing the third battery of the year. When it landed, it wouldn't sync to the truck. Replacement replacement ordered and "installed" (stuck onto the paint). It's under the TSB, has already drained one battery within 3 months and they will let us know if/when the new part is available and will swap the unit over for that.

Meaning that in 2 years (assuming Bronco has the new part, not the part under TSB), we will have gone through 4 batteries and 4 pads.

What type of battery? I'm already thinking a relocation, 12v step down transformer, and careful wire routing can solve this.
You can already relocate it anywhere you want in range of the cabin (less than 4'), it's just double-sided tape. Since you want more info on the subject, Ranger forum isn't exactly hiding the plight.

Ranger factory keypad failure

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I'm not a fan of these because there is no security feature that limits how many attempts you can do to figure out the correct code. My 11 year old stepson was able to get in the locked Explorer in about 3 minutes by simply punching in codes until he got the correct one.
I could have sworn that our Escape (which has the buttons hidden in the pillar) has a feature that after three wrong attempts, there is a delay before you can try again. But it's possible I'm mis-remembering. In any event, with a hard-wired pad, it would seem like this would be really easy to implement.

My tangentially related rant is we wouldn't want this feature if keyfobs have not become the size of hand grenades.
Size of key fobs notwithstanding, I have found it occasionally convenient to be able to get in the car/truck when I didn't bring keys with me because I hadn't planned on needing to get in. That said, if the Bronco gets the much-hated battery-powered pad that the Ranger has, I'll pass on it. At first, I thought as long as I could relocate it somewhere else (like inside the fuel door as someone else mentioned), I might still want it, but I don't want to be bothered replacing batteries every few months. It seems like whenever I'd want to use it, the batteries could be dead.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Zack
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler JKU
Clubs

I could have sworn that our Escape (which has the buttons hidden in the pillar) has a feature that after three wrong attempts, there is a delay before you can try again. But it's possible I'm mis-remembering. In any event, with a hard-wired pad, it would seem like this would be really easy to implement.
I wonโ€™t go into details here, but because of the way at least some generations were designed, there is a (relatively) short sequence of numbers one can punch into the pad that will unlock the car, regardless of the owner set PIN. (No timeout, among other problems)

Inventor

Base
First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
As I feared and figured, it's just the stick on keypad. Which is funny, given that there is a large recess in outside of the the b-pillar of both 2 and 4 door models that could accommodate the components of the integrated keypad. That briefly gave me hope we'd see that, but obviously not. They could then just have the keypad deactivate if/when it detects the doors off.

1601965756738.png

1601965765667.png
Does anyone know what color this is?

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 8.48.55 PM.png

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Vehicle Showcase

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Im a base guy. Considering my choices this looks good to me :) Maybe they can just clear coat and call it good?
lots of people would love that haha

Advertisement

Advertisement