IdaNeck

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
New to off-roading here... I know what mud flaps do, but do I really need them?? What do you guys think?
It’s more of a courtesy to drivers behind you, so your tires don’t kick up rocks stuck in the tread. Some states, like Idaho, require them.
Sponsored

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
New to off-roading here... I know what mud flaps do, but do I really need them?? What do you guys think?
Mud flaps are great in snowy places or long gravel roads on vehicles that never really offroaded.
If you go through hard dry ruts, or over rocks they rip off fast.
Out here in the South West , they die quick.

athombomb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Dodge Avenger SXT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've been seeing on the Base model pre production models that they've all had the signature LED headlights. Haven't yet seen models with the other bland headlights. Is this normal?

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I love keypads one thing I miss from back in the day when I had a 2002 Explorer! For me I just liked locking my keys in it never have to worry what I did with them! Not for everyone I def enjoyed the convience tho!

Last edited:

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mud flaps are great in snowy places or long gravel roads on vehicles that never really offroaded.
If you go through hard dry ruts, or over rocks they rip off fast.
Out here in the South West , they die quick.
I’ve lived in the southwest for many years. The only time I’ve ripped off a mudflap is reversing into sagebrush.

As long as you’re driving forward there should be no reason for them to get torn off.

Sponsored

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve lived in the southwest for many years. The only time I’ve ripped off a mudflap is reversing into sagebrush.

As long as you’re driving forward there should be no reason for them to get torn off.
Drop off a sharp wash deep enough to touch the rocker panels to dirt, and the mud flap gets pinched, then torn off.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been seeing on the Base model pre production models that they've all had the signature LED headlights. Haven't yet seen models with the other bland headlights. Is this normal?
These *are* the standard headlights.

Ford Bronco Oxford White Base 2-Door with keypad and mud flaps (off production line) 1602012140702

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Used mine quite a bit at the beach. And no, this isn't how its been done lately. My 2016 F150 and even my now gone 2009 Ford Flex have it integrated/hidden/padless into the black B Pillar.
My 2009 Ford had the stick on keypad. The 2021 Bronco has a stick on keypad. While I should have clarified that this is not the only way they do it, Ford has in fact been doing this for over a decade.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It's unfortunate that Ford is using this keypad. It is ugly, but I relocated mine to the rear door pillar on my Ranger where it blends in better and is less noticeable. At first, I used it regularly simple because I park my truck beside my garage at the bottom of a hill on my property and when I don't have my keys, it's pretty nice to still be able to get into the truck without having to hike back to the house. The problem is that the batteries do not last. I went through 3 batteries in the first few months. When I talked to the service tech at my dealership, he said, (and I quote), "Unfortunately, I think the battery is going to be the bane of your existence. I've seen the same problem with other models." He would not replace the keypad.
I stopped using the keypad after about month 4 of ownership. The unacceptable battery life has also been brought up of Ranger5g.com.
I truly find it impossible to understand how and why Ford still sells this as an option.
Ford Bronco Oxford White Base 2-Door with keypad and mud flaps (off production line) tenor[1]

Our dealership did the replacement after replacing the third battery of the year. When it landed, it wouldn't sync to the truck. Replacement replacement ordered and "installed" (stuck onto the paint). It's under the TSB, has already drained one battery within 3 months and they will let us know if/when the new part is available and will swap the unit over for that.

Meaning that in 2 years (assuming Bronco has the new part, not the part under TSB), we will have gone through 4 batteries and 4 pads.

You can already relocate it anywhere you want in range of the cabin (less than 4'), it's just double-sided tape. Since you want more info on the subject, Ranger forum isn't exactly hiding the plight.

Ranger factory keypad failure

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not a fan of these because there is no security feature that limits how many attempts you can do to figure out the correct code. My 11 year old stepson was able to get in the locked Explorer in about 3 minutes by simply punching in codes until he got the correct one.
I could have sworn that our Escape (which has the buttons hidden in the pillar) has a feature that after three wrong attempts, there is a delay before you can try again. But it's possible I'm mis-remembering. In any event, with a hard-wired pad, it would seem like this would be really easy to implement.

My tangentially related rant is we wouldn't want this feature if keyfobs have not become the size of hand grenades.
Size of key fobs notwithstanding, I have found it occasionally convenient to be able to get in the car/truck when I didn't bring keys with me because I hadn't planned on needing to get in. That said, if the Bronco gets the much-hated battery-powered pad that the Ranger has, I'll pass on it. At first, I thought as long as I could relocate it somewhere else (like inside the fuel door as someone else mentioned), I might still want it, but I don't want to be bothered replacing batteries every few months. It seems like whenever I'd want to use it, the batteries could be dead.
Sponsored