Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2, Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No place is worse than Atlanta.

No disrespect intended, but Atlanta traffic drives me bonkers and I have driven all over the world....it just doesn't flow like stop and go traffic should flow....I don't know, it bugs me. I get traffic in cities, but usually there is a rhythm ...of all places Atlanta should have a rhythm , but in traffic, it does not.
No disrespect taken, I agree wholeheartedly. I never been to or driven in LA, just heard about it.

I've also driven in different places. Naples Italy and NYC were the scariest, but ATL is just different.

I thought it was because there are a bunch of people here from different places, and that may have something to do with it; but the driving test here is very easy compared to were I grew up, so that could be a factor also. I'm not sure.
Sponsored

Last edited:

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My jeep doesn't have any nanny features, but my wife's Kona has pretty much everything. I 100% think they are the future and are more helpful than not.

That being said...

My primary concern is what they are (eventually) going to turn us into as drivers. Maybe not people like us, mostly people who have been driving for a long time, but for kids who grow up learning to drive in cars with nanny systems. A kid who learns how to drive with a backup camera, lane keep assist, blind spot monitor, etc. has a much higher chance of becoming acclimated to those systems and not knowing how to drive properly without them. I will admit that I've already become somewhat dependent on my backup camera when backing into my twisty driveway; I know exactly how things line up on my camera and can do it with ease and quickly. On the few occasions I don't have my backup camera (mostly when there's no traffic coming and I just want to practice it without help), I'm definitely not as adept and as quick at the process. I've spoken to numerous people who admit their blind spot monitors have made them a bit lazy with checking the lanes themselves. The onus is placed on you to keep your innate driving skills sharpened in an environment that can lure you into bad/lesser practices.

My secondary concern with these systems is the significant cost of repairs beyond a car that doesn't have them. These various sensors and additional wiring and technology necessities can add up quickly when they break or when you're in an accident that damages something. Consumer Reports is VERY much in favor of these nanny systems, but even they ran an article a few months back acknowledging the many extra thousands of dollars that can go into repairs of these systems. Definitely something to think about once you're out of warranty or if you're in a fender bender and you're at fault (or in this case damage something while off roading).

Rickycardo

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2018 Thor Motorhome RV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My wife's Volvo has them, my Mustang does not. I'm not a big fan of them yet, there 's too much tweaking needed for them to be as good as they should be. I've had her car slam the brakes more than a 1/2 block away from a car that was turning. There was no danger, her car is just too sensitive. Yes, the lane keeping assist is a pain. I take apexes and it doesn't like them.
My biggest dislike is the adaptive cruise control. It reduces you to the lowest common denominator on the highway. Even on its lowest setting you can never get close enough to the car in front of you to let them know you are faster for them to pull to the right and let you by. My Mustang has much better closing rate and a flash of the headlights is all it takes.
I will end with this. Lawyers and insurance tend to drive safety mandates. Sure you should be free to buy a vehicle without any nannies and your insurance company is free to charge you for that.

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hilariously ironic that within your argument, you gave a very clear example of why these "nannies" exist and why a driver like you needs to use them. Of course referring to your attempt to change lanes without using the turn signal. Question here is why not?

You may not be negatively affected by such decisions, but it may have an impact on others, thus the invention of the nannies. The entire point of them is to protect people and save lives.

It's not you, but that family of 6 in the minivan who need protection from aggressive drivers.

The safety tech can be annoying in these early days, but I think they are helpful, so I'm willing to tolerate them if they lower the number of car accidents. Seems the most dangerous drivers are those in old cars here in Georgia. Can't tell if it's because these people just don't care because they're driving old cars or they just can't drive, period.
In Mass. 90% of the drivers of all ages hit breaks every 15-20 seconds on the back roads and in town traffic with or without traffic, The funny thing is I counted the intervals between each break pressed. It annoys me even though there is No car in front of them. Then I gave a thought, may be they are maintaining the speed limit to keep the car under.

But there is a way to maintain speed which is do not accelarate too much then there is no need to hit breaks and annoy the driver behind them. These drivers are wearing off their breaks sooner than usual. For these people the only thing on their mind is how they are driving and not care about and how difficult it is for other drivers with whom they are sharing the road with.

Rickycardo

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2018 Thor Motorhome RV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What I've noticed with people using their brakes all the time without need is not that they're going too fast but that the world around them is going too fast.

Sponsored

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had actually grown to love LA drivers ( moved out last year to Reno), it becomes fun...always being safe of course....It keeps you awake on the drive home...Nascar driving when the lanes were open.

I hated the 5 mile an hour stop and goes....and goes and goes and goes....

agree, once you get out of the Metros, the drivers are better.
Oh yeah, I love the wide open, strategic nascar vibe I get driving around here, but it amazes me what passes as normal here can make you stand out in other places. I had to calm down a bit when I realized no one else was playing the same game ?

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m glad others got my back. The freeways are a dog eat dog world over here.

I always use my blinkers on the street. Especially making a left turn. It’s funny street driving in SoCal is pretty chill but when you get on the freeway it’s nuts.

I just got back from SF and it’s funny because it feels like slow mo back home now. Those people are absolutely bonkers. They drive like the freeway on the street. I rode my motorcycle through there and they were trying to nudge me off the road on the streets and the freeway. Mind you I have a 6 cylinder 160hp 700 lbs. bike. I can’t go slow on it. I haul ass and they are still trying to kill me.
I was reading some of your posts and it reminded me of a saying my buddy said "turn signals are a sign of weakness".:p

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I never experienced any of these nannies so I am thinking they cant be that bad. That being said i would prefer not having them, but i guess i can give them a try and decide how i feel about them later.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Smh why am I not surprised people are that petty in LA traffic.
Not too many places where they're not this petty, people will kill you quick here in SC to get one car length ahead and flip you off in the process.

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All these safety features at least from my insurance company will lower my rates so thats a plus?

Hunter

Badlands
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2-Door Badlands, KTM 390 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my opinion, the extra safety features fit perfectly in line with the Outer Banks model. However, the full array of safety features should theoretically be made available for all. In other words, it would be ethical for customers to have the option to get a completely base Bronco, but with all industry-leading safety features added for the safest possible driving experience.

Would I do that? Of course not. But it should be an option.

What I really don't like is trying to build a Badlands and wanting everything but the potentially limiting/finicky safety features. I'm bothered the only way to get the B&O sound system is with the full Lux Package. To me, it seems like wasted money for features that will only irk me down the road, literally.
Sponsored