Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Black Diamond 2-door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm sure that you're wrong, if you're talking about the Aux Switches option. Those are for auxiliary devices, not onboard nannies. Then again, if I can wire one to disable some of them, maybe...
Sponsored

Edelfin

Big Bend
First Name
Emmanuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Some of these safety features will probably be standard in a couple of years ie: backup camera mandate. I can definitely see BLIS installed on most vehicles but I do know people that turn it off!

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok so here is my complaint thread since everyone else has one :p.

So the Mid, High and Lux packages all come with a few cool things but they are all jam packed with nannies. Things like evasive driving assist, lane keep assist, forward sensing(whatever that is), 360 Co-pilot etc...

I don’t know what most of those things are but I’m pretty sure I don’t want them. I have driven a Cadillac with a lot of these things and I have found that it is more likely to make me crash when the steering wheel is yanked away from me because I didn’t use my blinker to change lanes.

Does anyone know what these are? Do you know if they can be disabled permanently? I don’t want to have to turn them off everytime I start the car.

Also does anyone know why Sync 4 with enhanced voice recognition is on the mid package? Isn’t sync just the operating system on the screens? What would be on the screen without it? And what is Voice activated touch screen navigation on Lux?

All I want is the 360 camera, power plug/USB and the speakers.
Hilariously ironic that within your argument, you gave a very clear example of why these "nannies" exist and why a driver like you needs to use them. Of course referring to your attempt to change lanes without using the turn signal. Question here is why not?

You may not be negatively affected by such decisions, but it may have an impact on others, thus the invention of the nannies. The entire point of them is to protect people and save lives.

It's not you, but that family of 6 in the minivan who need protection from aggressive drivers.

The safety tech can be annoying in these early days, but I think they are helpful, so I'm willing to tolerate them if they lower the number of car accidents. Seems the most dangerous drivers are those in old cars here in Georgia. Can't tell if it's because these people just don't care because they're driving old cars or they just can't drive, period.

mburkhart

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My wife's 2015 Infiniti QX80 has a bunch of these "nanny" features, and I hated them all when we got it. Now that I've lived with them for a few years I probably won't buy another new car without them.

The only feature I really (REALLY) still hate is the backup collision assist. Every time I put the car in reverse with a trailer in tow, I have to 1) hit the button to disable the alarm telling me there's something behind me, and 2) hit the button to disable collision assist so it doesn't engage the brakes while I'm backing up. If I have to shift to drive to straighten out (I'm not a pro at backing up a trailer), I have to push those two buttons again when I go into reverse. It's incredibly annoying that an SUV with a tow package doesn't disable these automatically. There's even a "tow mode" button that could have done this.

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have all these bells and whistles on my BMW M car. It just came with them. I can turn them all off, but the most ANNOYING is the lane control. It is a Sports Sedan and it give me wheel correction as I dive into and Apex because it reads the white line makes zero sense, so I turned it off. The most useful feature is the Adaptive Cruise Control because it is really the only way cruise can work in modern traffic congestion. The other features I like is the automatic high beams (works great and has to be turned on), 360 parking camera (helps a lot since someone keeps shrinking the parking spaces), and the rain-sensing wipers (which I don't think they are offering but should. Love that fact that when I am sitting at a light the wipers are slowed and not rapping across a windshield that does not have enough water on it yet!).

Sponsored

TXRancher

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hilariously ironic that within your argument, you gave a very clear example of why these "nannies" exist and why a driver like you needs to use them. Of course referring to your attempt to change lanes without using the turn signal. Question here is why not?

You may not be negatively affected by such decisions, but it may have an impact on others, thus the invention of the nannies. The entire point of them is to protect people and save lives.

It's not you, but that family of 6 in the minivan who need protection from aggressive drivers.

The safety tech can be annoying in these early days, but I think they are helpful, so I'm willing to tolerate them if they lower the number of car accidents. Seems the most dangerous drivers are those in old cars here in Georgia. Can't tell if it's because these people just don't care because they're driving old cars or they just can't drive, period.
And I argue that the nannies promote bad driving. If you have something doing the work for you, you will rely on technology rather than improve your skill.

Look at hunting, when I was young it was a fancy rifle that had a scope and hunters sat on tree limbs and followed game trials to find prey. Now they put out feeders and mini-cabins with heaters and wait for the prey to come to them. There is not one iota of skill left in hunting.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And I argue that the nannies promote bad driving. If you have something doing the work for you, you will rely on technology rather than improve your skill.

Look at hunting, when I was young it was a fancy rifle that had a scope and hunters sat on tree limbs and followed game trials to find prey. Now they put out feeders and mini-cabins with heaters and wait for the prey to come to them. There is not one iota of skill left in hunting.
These aren't examples of bad driving or bad hunters, but example of irresponsible or lazy people.

Yes, you're right about examples of Tesla drivers watching movies or sleep while the autonomous driving tech kills them (karma is a real bitch).

What I'm saying is, a person who is irresponsible or lazy just are exactly that. The presence or absence of some sort of tech, or nannies won't change a person's core behavior.

However, with the tech, the goal is to protect people like you and I and our innocent families from their stupidity. Everyone makes mistakes, but some of the stuff I see here on the highway or sometimes streets is just amazing.

Douche bag hunters are an entirely different story. There are laws in Alabama and most states about baiting fields and other such cheating. I don't even like tree stands, the fun for me is in tracking an animal down, honing those skills, then getting a good shot. These skills could come in handy one day. Only time I've used a stand was feral hogs on my own land over in Bama. Don't want to be on the ground with those even when using a 30-.

Last edited:

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I want the control to turn it on or off. Like any tool, they can be helpful in some situations or hinder you in others. Any tool can be misused and (like the bad-hunter examples) there were plenty of bad drivers before these nannies came out. Drivers falling asleep, drivers texting and driving, drivers tailgating, drivers backing up without looking behind them are just using a mirror, drivers who don't understand the concept of turn signals, drivers who change lanes without looking, and the list goes on and on.

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I just wish I could get rid of the abs and airbags

They really mess up the pure driving experience

/S
I wonder how Ford deals with airbags off road??

Sponsored

bluesun68

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
raptor, velar, f-type
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I wonder how Ford deals with airbags off road??
I stuffed the nose of my Raptor. Set off the seat belt pyro but not the airbags.

All these things are going to be mandated soon. So enjoy the lack of them while you can.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
but they are all jam packed with nannies.
Man up! If you don't want to sit in the drivers seat and confront an amazing array of buttons, dials, and gauges - you are just a "poser".

The rest of us will enjoy imagining we're piloting the Space Shuttle.
Sponsored